HVACR resources

Sutton, Susan R

Nov 17, 2018, 9:15:58 AM11/17/18
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
I am assisting a faculty member who is redesigning his course so students do not have to buy a book. Do any of you know about any resources that cover HVACR (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration)? He really wants to help his students out so they do not have to buy a book.

Namaste,
Susan

Susan Sutton, PhD
Director, Center for Teaching Arts & Technology & Distance Education
Accessibility Chair
D2L Certified Administrator
Roane State Community College
Office - 865-882-4658
Cell - 812-459-3982
E-mail: sutt...@roanestate.edu<mailto:sutt...@roanestate.edu>

The only limits in life are the ones you make
--Les Brown

________________________________

This email is intended for the addressee and may contain privileged information. If you are not the addressee, you are not permitted to use or copy this email or its attachments nor may you disclose the same to any third party. If this has been sent to you in error, please delete the email and notify us by replying to this email immediately.

Marcks, Russell

Nov 17, 2018, 12:09:59 PM11/17/18
to Sutton, Susan R, cccoer-...@googlegroups.com

Our program includes both a 9-month residential/light commercial certificate as well as a 2-yr AAS addressing commercial HVAC service, maintenance, and operation.  We teach both new students just entering the field as service technicians and/or installers as well as providing upgrade training for long-time technicians.  I primarily use manuals and data from the websites of the manufacturer and/or manufacturer reps to address service, maintenance, and operations.  It is far superior to any textbook since it is material addressed by the industry, not an academician, thus the student is more accepting of what is being taught.  Not all of what I list below is 100% useful, but I use elements of virtually everything on this list and more.

All About Circuits

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/

Copper, Soldering, Brazing

https://www.copper.org/publications/pub_list/soldering.html

http://www.wes.ir/files/3686573BrazingHandbook.pdf

https://archive.org/details/Soldering_Brazing_Welding-A_Manual_of_Techniques_D._Pritchard
https://www.copper.org/publications/pub_list/pdf/copper_tube_handbook.pdf

ECM Motors

https://www.genteqmotors.com/assets/0/96/101/111/112/222548e1-3a94-4465-ae93-3ac96782fea5.pdf

https://www.genteqmotors.com/assets/0/96/101/111/112/4c713fab-2d3f-465e-bfb1-94fa5e0d052a.pdf
https://www.priceindustries.com/content/uploads/assets/literature/manuals/section%20g/ecm-motor-troubleshooting-manual.pdf

Induction Motors

http://www.fasco.com/distribution/fasco-motor-facts/fasco-facs-english/
http://css.wsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Motors1.pdf

https://new.abb.com/docs/librariesprovider53/about-downloads/low-voltage-motor-guide.pdf

VFDs

https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/63-0000s/63-7062.pdf

I've not found a good generic resource on drives including the one listed above.  I prefer to use the drive manuals that come with the VFDs with which I teach.  We have Automation Direct GS1 and GS2 drives as well as ABB HVAC drives used to operate our pumps and our Air Handling Unit.

https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/gs1m/gs1m.html

https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/gs2m/gs2m.html

https://library.e.abb.com/public/debb3e43999f4e55c1257d0b00267491/EN_ACH550_01_UM_G_A4.pdf

Control (I teach control using the Tridium JACE 6 and JACE 8000)

 - I have written my own fundamentals of control for the so-called control theory

 - I use the manuals that come with the Tridium Workstation AX software.  This won't help if you do not use Tridium Niagara or a rebranded version of the JACE

 - When I teach BACnet and Modbus, I use the manuals for the equipment that use those communication protocols.  For example, the Automation Direct Drive manuals above provide adequate discussion of Modbus.  The ABB Drives have a separate manual that addresses setting up BACnet communications for their drive.

https://library.e.abb.com/public/3a7f1befeb5556dbc12572dc002365b3/3AUA0000004591_REVD.pdf

Bell & Gossett

http://bellgossett.com/training-education/training-manuals/

Marley Cooling Towers

https://spxcooling.com/pdf/Cooling-Tower-Fundamentals.pdf

Cleaver Brooks Boilers

http://cleaverbrooks.com/reference-center/resource-library/boiler-book/index.html

Trane

https://www.trane.com/commercial/north-america/us/en/education-training/educational-resources-by-type/application-manuals.html

The Trane materials are not free; in fact, I consider them expensive.  But it is possible to ask Trane for permissions to use pdf versions and place them on your course management system.  Go through your local Trane Distributor.

Baltimore Cooling Tower

http://www.baltimoreaircoil.com/english/knowledge-center/resource-library

Belimo Actuators

Catalog for damper actuators and valves

http://www.baltimoreaircoil.com/english/knowledge-center/resource-library

Knowledge Center

https://www.belimo.us/en_US/solutions/links/documents.html
Much material here, but the damper applications guide is great.

VAV Systems

https://www.titus-hvac.com/file/7564/terminal%20units%20eng_guidelines2013.pdf

https://www.kele.com/kele-solutions-articles.aspx

TSI / Alnor  (for airside T.A.B. work)

http://www.tsi.com/uploadedFiles/_Site_Root/Products/Literature/Handbooks/2980562A-Alnor_HVAC_Handbook_2007.pdf

Functional Testing Guides

https://www.ftguide.org/

Do not be confused by the word 'design'.  This is part of the commissioning process which necessarily employs many technicians

Titus

https://www.titus-hvac.com/file/11072/AirBalancing_AG_2016.pdf

Air Balancing Guide that also addresses fans and fan curves

Any Number of YouTube Videos

I also use the owner and installation manuals for my lab equipment i.e.: AHU, Chiller, Boiler, geothermal, Pumps, Fans, VFDs, valves, dampers, control, etc.  The students appreciate the ability to learn from those documents.

If you are an ASHRAE, AHRI, ACCA, RSES, etc. member, don't forget to use magazine/journal articles.  I use many ASHRAE articles to address what the designer was suppose to do so that my students can understand how they operate so they can be properly serviced.

This is actually a short list.  There is nearly anything you want available for free and for legal use and distribution from manufacturer's websites.  Most manufacturers want these distributed and used by students and technicians...it's free advertising.  However, it does take effort to use them in the classroom since they will not necessarily fit an individual's teaching style or the progression of your specific program.  I've made it work and the students appreciate the literature to which they've been exposed and are able to use it in the field.

Hope these materials help.

RKM

Russell Marcks, P.E.
Professor
HVAC&R Engineering Technology
Sinclair Community College
444 W 3rd Street
Dayton, OH 45402
937 512 2053
russell...@sinclair.edu

No trees were harmed in creating this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Nov 19, 2018, 4:26:08 PM11/19/18
to Sutton, Susan R, cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Susan,

I’m sure you are aware of the SkillsCommons.org site as Roane State was a TAACCCT grantee but they continue to enhance and add support the openly licensed materials at the site.  In particular they have some helpful resources for a number of Apprenticeships programs and HVAC is one of them.   The resources include sample instructional materials, program, pathway, and syllabi from multiple states.   Hope that some of this is helpful.

Best Regards,
Una
Una Daly
Director, Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources (CCCOER)
Open Education Consortium

Watch our archived webinars featuring Open Education Faculty, Thought Leaders, and Students