Making a Cap'n Proto Github organization

Kenton Varda

Jun 4, 2017, 8:26:07 PM6/4/17
to capnproto, David Renshaw, Jason Paryani, Ross Light, Harris Hancock, David Lamparter, Paul Pelzl, vipc...@gmail.com
Hi all,

Currently capnproto is a project inside the github organization for Sandstorm, i.e. github.com/sandstorm-io/capnproto.

However, Sandstorm has become less-active lately whereas I'm now working on Cap'n Proto fairly actively at Cloudflare, independent of Sandstorm. Hence, it seems like it no longer makes a lot of sense to treat it as a sub-project of Sandstorm.

Moreover, several people are maintaining Cap'n Proto implementations in various languages hosted under their own github user accounts. I like for repositories to be separate in this way, to delineate maintainership and avoid unnecessarily tying together projects and release cycles. However, it is admittedly disorganized, and things get particularly awkward when maintainership changes over time.

I propose, therefore, that we create a Cap'n Proto organization. I further propose that any implementation of Cap'n Proto which we consider production-ready should be moved into this organization. Maintainership / ownership of repositories won't change, but this will make it easier for people to find all the code in one place. And if a maintainer wants to step down or designate other maintainers, it will be much easier to do so with the repos under an organization.

I've gone ahead and created the org here:

I propose that the following repositories be moved into the org:
- C++ main repo (Kenton Varda)
- Rust (David Renshaw)
- Java (David Renshaw)
- Python (Jason Paryani)
- Go v2 (Ross Light)
- Lua (Cloudflare / Jiale Zhi) (Jiale no longer works at Cloudflare, but Cloudflare definitely uses this code in prod!)
- C (David Lamparter)
- Node.js (Kenton Varda)
- OCaml (Paul Pelzl)

(It looks to me like the other implementations -- Javascript, Nim, Ruby, Scala, and Erlang -- are currently either still incomplete or not actively maintained. However, if I've misjudged, let me know.)

Thoughts? Objections?

-Kenton

Ross Light

Jun 5, 2017, 11:48:34 AM6/5/17
to Julián Díaz, Kenton Varda, capnproto, David Renshaw, Jason Paryani, Harris Hancock, David Lamparter, Paul Pelzl, vipc...@gmail.com
SGTM.  For Go, I will need to hack my vanity URL resolver so that "zombiezen.com/go/capnproto2" will resolve to the org repository before I can do the move.  Short-term, this is fine, since the import path won't change at all.

Long-term, we may want to consider changing Go to use the new GitHub org in the import path, instead of being tied to my domain for the reasons mentioned above.  This will be much easier to do once Go 1.9 is released and introduces type aliases.  That way, I can introduce a stub import path that just aliases the new import path.

-Ross

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 8:42 AM Julián Díaz <j...@jdiaz.io> wrote:
Big 👍 from me, I'll happily move my typescript/js implementation to the new org once it's prod ready.

Julián Díaz

Jun 5, 2017, 12:40:05 PM6/5/17
to Kenton Varda, capnproto, David Renshaw, Jason Paryani, Ross Light, Harris Hancock, David Lamparter, Paul Pelzl, vipc...@gmail.com
Big 👍 from me, I'll happily move my typescript/js implementation to the new org once it's prod ready.

Kenton Varda

Jun 5, 2017, 1:02:50 PM6/5/17
to Ross Light, Julián Díaz, Kenton Varda, capnproto, David Renshaw, Jason Paryani, Harris Hancock, David Lamparter, Paul Pelzl, vipc...@gmail.com
OK, I've sent out invites and started populating the org.

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Ross Light <ro...@zombiezen.com> wrote:
SGTM.  For Go, I will need to hack my vanity URL resolver so that "zombiezen.com/go/capnproto2" will resolve to the org repository before I can do the move.  Short-term, this is fine, since the import path won't change at all.

FWIW github is pretty good about automatic redirects, so maybe you don't actually need to do anything?

Ross Light

Jun 5, 2017, 1:56:30 PM6/5/17
to Kenton Varda, Julián Díaz, Kenton Varda, capnproto, David Renshaw, Jason Paryani, Harris Hancock, David Lamparter, Paul Pelzl, vipc...@gmail.com
Reply inline.

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 10:02 AM Kenton Varda <ken...@cloudflare.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Ross Light <ro...@zombiezen.com> wrote:
SGTM.  For Go, I will need to hack my vanity URL resolver so that "zombiezen.com/go/capnproto2" will resolve to the org repository before I can do the move.  Short-term, this is fine, since the import path won't change at all.

FWIW github is pretty good about automatic redirects, so maybe you don't actually need to do anything?

Quite possibly!  I'd just like to test it first, and that will take a bit of time.  I'm not pushing back on the idea, just saying I want to QA it first. :)

Tony Arcieri

Jun 5, 2017, 2:31:36 PM6/5/17
to Kenton Varda, capnproto, David Renshaw, Jason Paryani, Ross Light, Harris Hancock, David Lamparter, Paul Pelzl, vipc...@gmail.com
As someone who suggested this several years ago, this sounds great to me.

Tony Arcieri

Tony Arcieri

Jun 5, 2017, 5:51:41 PM6/5/17
On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 5:25 PM, Kenton Varda <ken...@sandstorm.io> wrote:
(It looks to me like the other implementations -- Javascript, Nim, Ruby, Scala, and Erlang -- are currently either still incomplete or not actively maintained. However, if I've misjudged, let me know.)

There was a Google Summer of Code project last year to improve the state of the Ruby implementation. It should be fairly complete at this point (including RPC):

--
Tony Arcieri

Thomas Leonard

Jun 7, 2017, 4:59:23 AM6/7/17
to Cap'n Proto, dwre...@gmail.com, jpar...@gmail.com, ro...@zombiezen.com, vor...@gmail.com, equ...@diac24.net, pel...@gmail.com, vipc...@gmail.com
We've moved the OCaml repository to https://github.com/capnproto/capnp-ocaml but I can't commit to it.
Could someone add me (talex5) to it? It would be good if at least one of talex5 and avsm had admin access so we could add other people, configure Travis, etc.

See: https://github.com/capnproto/capnp-ocaml/issues/12#issuecomment-306296506

(BTW, I also have some experimental-and-incomplete OCaml RPC support at https://github.com/mirage/capnp-rpc which it might be worth merging eventually)

Kenton Varda

Jun 7, 2017, 1:12:16 PM6/7/17
to Thomas Leonard, Cap'n Proto, David Renshaw, Jason Paryani, Ross Light, Harris Hancock, David Lamparter, Paul Pelzl, Jiale Zhi
Hi Thomas,

I've given you write access and given Anil admin access. Sorry, I'd assumed Anil already had admin.

-Kenton

Jiale Zhi (Charles)

Jun 14, 2017, 6:14:02 PM6/14/17
to Kenton Varda, Thomas Leonard, Cap'n Proto, David Renshaw, Jason Paryani, Ross Light, Harris Hancock, David Lamparter, Paul Pelzl
Hi Kenton,

That sounds good to me. There is a Cloudflare repo for lua-capnp and there is another one on my own account. Might need to consolidate them together once they are moved to Cap'n Proto organization.

Jiale

Ross Light

Jul 9, 2017, 2:15:32 PM7/9/17
to Jiale Zhi (Charles), Kenton Varda, Thomas Leonard, Cap'n Proto, David Renshaw, Jason Paryani, Harris Hancock, David Lamparter, Paul Pelzl

As an update, I've moved the Go repository over to the org and cut over the vanity import resolver.