About the expression - RIP (Rest in Peace)

Saleel Kulkarni

Aug 9, 2013, 11:46:26 AM8/9/13
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

Respected Scholars,

Namo namah.

We often use the sentence 'May God rest his/her soul in peace' wishing eternal rest and peace to someone who has died. I understand that this sentence typically appears on headstones at the grave of Catholics. But is this also in line with our ancient Indian (Hindu?) philosophy and our traditional system of belief? If not, what should be the apt wording to express the similar feelings towards the dead, in tune with our system of belief? Kindly give the appropriate expression in Sanskrit and English.

Thanks.

V Subrahmanian

Aug 9, 2013, 10:00:45 PM8/9/13
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 7:28 AM, V Subrahmanian <v.subra...@gmail.com> wrote:

२. तस्य वैकुण्ठप्राप्तिमभवत् [He  / she attained vaikunTha ]

A correction here:  It should read: ... वैकुण्ठप्राप्तिरभवत्

Thanks.

--
निराशीर्निर्ममो भूत्वा युध्यस्व विगतज्वरः।। (भ.गी.)
---

V Subrahmanian

Aug 9, 2013, 9:58:55 PM8/9/13
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

I think the appropriate expression would be: स सद्गतिं प्राप्नुयात् ।  [May he / she attain a good/noble state]  There are various ways in which such statements are made as per different traditions/followings:

1. स शिवलोकमवाप [He / she reached shivaloka]

२. तस्य वैकुण्ठप्राप्तिमभवत् [He  / she attained vaikunTha ]

३. स आचार्यश्रीचरणमवाप This is used by srivaishnavites (followers of Sri Ramanuja). In Tamil it reads: ..AchAryAn tiruvaDi aDaindAr.  It means: the departed soul has reached the holy feet of the Acharya Sri Ramanuja.  The belief is that once this has happened, the soul's attaining VaikunTha is not in doubt.

iviyan

Aug 10, 2013, 7:02:39 AM8/10/13
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Scholar friends,
praNamyA. As far as I know and recollect there is no practice of keeping any board or any stone with writings on it that
the departed soul should rest in peace for ever, in our Indian ancient customs.We keep abreast the principles of the departed
souls and try to implement them in our life as a token of our gratitude to them for their services if any rendered to the mankind at large.As regards the departed kings there were statues erected in memory of them in the back-yards of their forts.We see them even today behind the forts like those at Vizianagaram in Andhra Pradesh all-over India where there were
erstwhile princely states.On the boards or stones the memorable services of the departed and their titles were enlisted wishing them heavenly abode in Sanskrit or any local language they liked..
Regards,
Iviyan.

Mahakant Joshi

Aug 10, 2013, 1:48:32 AM8/10/13
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
It's very good information for us.Thanks.

iragavarapu narasimhacharya

Aug 10, 2013, 8:09:17 AM8/10/13
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
महोदयाः,
सादरम्प्रणम्य। "वैकुण्ठप्राप्तिर्भवत्विति वा भवेदिति वा वदामः भोः।"अभवदि"ति कथं निश्चयेन वक्तुं शक्नुमः भोः? केवलमाकांक्षैवास्माकं तथा भवेदिति मन्ये।
अभिवाद्य,
ऐवियन्।

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Mahakant Joshi <psshd...@gmail.com> wrote:
Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (psshd...@gmail.com) Add cleanup rule | More info

It's very good information for us.Thanks.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्" group.

iragavarapu narasimhacharya

Aug 10, 2013, 8:34:38 AM8/10/13
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
पुरतोऽनुवर्त्य------As regards the departed souls पुरा एवमपि लिखितान्यासन्। यथा-----
श्लो॥"वाताभ्रविभ्रममिदं वसुधाधिपत्यं,।
      आपातमात्रमधुरो विषयोऽपभोगः॥
      प्राणास्तृणाग्र जलबिन्दुसमा नराणां।
      धर्मः सखा परमहो ! परलोकयाने॥
श्लो॥"भ्रमत्संसारचक्राग्रधाराधरमिमां श्रियं
      प्राप्य ये न ददु स्तेषां पश्चात्तापः परं फलम्॥ इति च।(धारानगराधीश्वरस्य भोजराजस्य शासने---
                                                                             काव्यप्रकाशाख्यग्रन्थस्य उपोद्घाते)
अभिवाद्य,
ऐवियन्।

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM, iviyan <iviy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (iviy...@gmail.com) Add cleanup rule | More info

[...]

subrahmanyam korada

Aug 11, 2013, 6:29:51 AM8/11/13
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
नमो विद्वद्भ्यः

विद्वान् सलील् कुल्कर्णि --

"But is this also in line with our ancient Indian (Hindu?) philosophy and our traditional system of belief? If not, what should be the apt wording to express the similar feelings towards the dead, in tune with our system of belief? Kindly give the appropriate expression in Sanskrit and English "

-- बाणभट्ट  in कादम्बरी (महाश्वेतावृत्तान्त) says the following about अनुमरणम् (सती - भ्रातृ - मित्र - सहगमनम्) -

(यदेतदनुमरणम् नाम ) तदतिनिष्फलम् , अविद्वज्ज्नाचरित एष मार्गः , मोहविलसितमेतत् , अज्ञातपद्धतिरियम् ....।

The above lines are applicable to saying ' may his soul rest in peace' .
I fail to understand as to how senior scholars also recite this --

take it for granted - there is neither birth nor death - one who learnt Vedanta should not trust in either - it is just changing the उपाधि (in Vedanta and not Panini) -

जीर्णानि वस्त्राणि यथा विहाय नवानि गृह्णाति नरो’पराणि ।

जातस्य हि ध्रुवो मृत्युः ध्रुवं जन्म मृतस्य च ।
तस्मादपारिहार्ये’र्थे न त्वं शोचितुमर्हति ॥ (गीताचार्यः)

If you claim that there is 'peace'(शान्तिः) to 'soul'(आत्मा ?) then there should be ’ disturbance'(अशान्तिः) also !

I discussed with people of all the three denominations - catholic , protestant and seventh day adventist - none of them could explain 'soul' , much less ' salvation '.

आप्नोति = व्याप्नोति इति आत्मा -it is निर्गुण etc.

'अर्थं बुद्ध्वा शब्दरचना’ - is the norm , but people are carried out by passion or it can be due to inferiority complex ( may be लग्नाधिपति is in नीच).

गतानुगतिको लोको न लोकः पारमार्थिकः ।
गङ्गासैकतलिङ्गेन नष्टं ताम्रभजनम् ॥

परामर्शः -

except on Tuesday , Friday (and Sunday also- according to some) .

One would just pay a visit  and does not say anything and people may console the inmates.

The near and dear , including Sisyas , would offer तिलाञ्जलि  on tenth day .

Beyond that  relatives and Sisyas would offer regular  तर्पणम् ।

Death of any person can be reported .

A composed Vedavyasa tells weeping Pandavas - 'he (Srikrsna) completed his duty and left ' .

धन्यो’स्मि
Prof.Korada Subrahmanyam
Professor of Sanskrit,
CALTS,
University of Hyderabad 500046
Ph:09866110741(R),91-40-23010741,040-23133660(O)

V Subrahmanian

Aug 10, 2013, 10:50:03 PM8/10/13
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM, iragavarapu narasimhacharya <iviy...@gmail.com> wrote:
महोदयाः,
सादरम्प्रणम्य। "वैकुण्ठप्राप्तिर्भवत्विति वा भवेदिति वा वदामः भोः।"अभवदि"ति कथं निश्चयेन वक्तुं शक्नुमः भोः? केवलमाकांक्षैवास्माकं तथा भवेदिति मन्ये

मान्याः

आम् ।  अस्मिन्विषये शास्त्राभिप्राय एवं भवति -  योनिमन्ये प्रपद्यन्ते शरीरत्वाय देहिनः। स्थाणुमन्येऽनुसंयन्ति यथाकर्म यथाश्रुतम्॥ [- कठोपनिषद् २.२.७]  एवं स्थिते कथं वयं सामान्यजीवाः स्वस्य अन्यस्य वा गतिं जानीम:? तथापि संप्रदाये, मदुक्तरीत्या अस्ति एतादृशवचनम् -

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=acharyan+tiruvadi&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr

//
Dearest Srivaishnavas, Sri U Ve Seva Swamy has attained AChAryan ThiruvaDi. //

//His dear father reached his AchAryan's ThiruvaDi.//

भवदीयः
सुब्रह्मण्यशर्मा