Mahapariksha details..

Kiran

Jan 23, 2020, 12:21:50 AM1/23/20
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

I have heard a lot about Tenali Mahapariksha and some about Ahmednagar Exams.

I googled them, I see some articles etc on Tenali but none on Ahmednagar.

I would like to know why these exams are ? How intensive they are ? And, by doing them what one gets in terms of worldly benefits and self-satisfied knowledge ?

Thanks,
Kiran

--
Ciao, Kiran

सत्यं मनोरमा रामा: सत्यं रम्या विभूतय: ।  किन्तु मत्ताङ्गनापांगभङ्गलोलं हि जीवनम् ।।

Nagaraj Paturi

Jan 23, 2020, 1:06:31 AM1/23/20
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Sri Kiran-ji,

Can you please share your academic /adhyayana background?

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre , Indic Academy
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Aravinda Rao

Jan 23, 2020, 2:27:35 AM1/23/20
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com, Paturi Nagaraj Dharma
Dear all,

Sri Bhagavatutla Anjaneya Sharma,  a great Hanumad-upasaka, has been doing a fantastic service for the preservation of shastras for more than twenty years. His modus operandi is to send the student to the scholar wherever he is  and give a stipend to the student and honorarium to the teacher depending on the number of students. For example, if there are four students registered for study of vyakarana, he sends them to some vyakarana scholar who may be in Chennai, Pune, Hyderabad or any such place. There are at least ten semesters for every shastra and there are tests at the end of every semester. All such tests take place in Tenali where the invigilators assemble. In fact, it is a one-man university.
I knew Sri Sharma for a long time and had personally seen his work by visiting his house, which is the 'university'.
Sometime ago I introduced him to Sri Harikiran, who quickly admired the work and started helping the institution every year. That is how the Indic Academy got connected.
Aravinda Rao K

Krishnaprasad G

Jan 23, 2020, 12:28:58 PM1/23/20
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
You asked
"I would like to know why these exams are ? How intensive they are ? And, by doing them what one gets in terms of worldly benefits and self-satisfied knowledge ?"

These exams are made to qualify a student in Shastras like Mimansa Vedanta or Nyaya.

Intensive- very intensive course as it covers the shastra from the scratch to the pinnacle.

Last question : Very subjective. Even I am preparing for the exams and taking up from next year. For me worldly things hardly matters. संविदेव परमप्रयोजनम्।
All great inventions in science or math were done not for worldly things. A famous tennis player once replied to an interviewer, when he has been asked why do you climb mt Everest. the answer was, "because it is there".

For instance when prime number was discovered by a mathematician he had no idea of its application. When newton discovered the theories he had no idea about the advancement. Everything was to their own satisfaction.

Krishnaprasad G

Jan 23, 2020, 12:31:58 PM1/23/20
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Ahmednagar exams are conducted by Sri Devadatta Govinda Patil. He lives in Goa. A great contemporary naveena nayyayika and mimasaka.

M V S Siva Prasad

Jan 23, 2020, 1:03:45 PM1/23/20
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Respected krishna prasad ji ,

   Sorry for having this question for you.

Do you feel that inorder to fulfill the self eagerness the sastras will be studied ?

You said you will give exams in future .
Ofcourse i didn't have studied any sastra but as I heard there will be vishaya,prayojanam etc will be told at the beginning of the sastra adhyayanam.

I feel self satisfaction won't be the prayojana of the sastra adhyayanam.

I request other scholars also to clear this query of mine .

Thank you.

M V S Siva Prasad

Jan 23, 2020, 1:03:51 PM1/23/20
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Sri kiran ji

The following PDFs will give the syllabus of both   .

TENALI EXAMS.pdf
1567047367951_समग्रपरीक्षापाठ्यक्रमः.pdf

Nagaraj Paturi

Jan 23, 2020, 1:36:40 PM1/23/20
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Sri M V S Siva Prasad-ji,

What Sri Krishna Prasad-ji is talking about is the worldly advantages to the scholars from studying the shaastra. Not about the worldly applications or any other prayojana of the shaastra.

Shaastras were created, studied  taught and learnt by people who were not after worldly benefits from their study.

Even today, Philosophy, the greatest, of all the academic disciplines, is not a sought after discipline for those who are after the worldly benefits.

Those who keep complaining that a particular community denied shaastras to others do not talk about this. Would the world at large have asked for shaastras ? The world at large has always been happy pursuing the knowledge and skill areas that are immediately and directly provide them livelihood.  Always, only a few who did not bother about such immediate and direct livelihood benefits from the activity of studying, studied shaastras in the traditional system , disciplines like Philosophy in the university academics.

Nagaraj Paturi

Jan 23, 2020, 1:39:47 PM1/23/20
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Would the world at large have asked for shaastras ? The world at large has always been happy pursuing
the knowledge and skill areas that immediately and directly provide them livelihood.

Krishnaprasad G

Jan 23, 2020, 1:41:51 PM1/23/20
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
The answer is subjective if the question is in relative with worldly desires. One cannot give the answer as Moksha. I cannot write my complete  motive here and it is irrelevant too.What I have said is already discussed and concluded in Shastras like Bhamati etc. For instance read this passage which is similar to Bhamati on BSB
प्रकरणमेवेदं नाऽरम्भणीयं विषयप्रयोजनसम्बन्धशून्यत्वात् । प्रतीतघट-स्वरूपप्रतिपादकवाक्यवत् काकदन्तपरीक्षाग्रन्थवच्च । स हि शास्त्रस्य विषयो भवति, योऽज्ञातः सन्दिग्धो विपर्यस्तो वा । अस्य च विषयत्वेन अभिमतो नारायणः सर्वसम्मत एव । नहि नारायणपदमनर्थकं कोऽप्यङ्गीकरोति । नाप्यस्य प्रकरणस्य प्रयोजनमस्ति, ऐहिकपारत्रिकयोः कृष्यादियागादिसाधनान्तरसाध्यत्वात्, एतेन सम्बन्धाभावाच्च । मोक्षस्यापि कर्मसाध्यत्वात्, एतत्सम्बन्धाभावाच्च, सकलैहिकपारत्रिकभोगपरित्यागात्मकस्य तस्य अपुरुषार्थत्वेन निरधि-कारिकत्वापत्तेः..........................................

ननु न व्युत्पाद्यार्थसंविन्मात्रं प्रयोजनं सुखदुःखावाप्तिहान्योरन्यतरत्वाभावात्, काकदन्तपरीक्षाग्रन्थसाधारण्याच्चेत्यत उक्तम्- सज्ज-नेति ।। सन्ति हि तथाविधाः पुरुषाः, येषां सुखावाप्त्यादिकमपि न प्रार्थ्यं, किन्तु परमेष्टस्य नारायणस्य संविदेव । तान् प्रति इदं साधनमुपपद्यते ।

Thanks

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 11:33 PM M V S Siva Prasad <mvssp...@gmail.com> wrote:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CA%2BG61GSzTriJWfxWmybk_tuXhkEP-qXjrOu9uXExhWLqKuFB8Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Krishnaprasad G

Jan 23, 2020, 1:45:52 PM1/23/20
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Prof Sri Nagaraj Paturi ji I could not put it the thoughts like you. You wrote what I wanted to. Deep respect.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/CAJGj9eZpfMvJE7Twk%2BsEQCGeQoLzQRtoPRChSXV%2BwmZhZRR%2BzA%40mail.gmail.com.

Madhav Deshpande

Jan 23, 2020, 2:03:30 PM1/23/20
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
This passage from Patañjali's Mahābhāṣya may provide a good answer to this question:

"चतुर्भिश्च प्रकारैर्विद्योपयुक्ता भवति--आगमकालेन स्वाध्यायकालेन प्रवचनकालेन व्यवहारकालेनेति" ।। महाभाष्य १.१.१ पस्पशाह्निक।।

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]

Irene Galstian

Jan 23, 2020, 2:04:41 PM1/23/20
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
It seems to me that Krishnaprasad G didn't mean 'self satisfaction' in the ordinary sense of that expression, but more along the lines of study in itself vs study for the sake of obtaining something else (including self satisfaction in the ordinary sense). This is a man who spent untold amounts of his personal money to develop Vedic fonts, which he then gives away, so texts can be properly typeset.

Irene
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bvpar...@googlegroups.com.