buster installing fails

Andreas Köberle

Aug 27, 2013, 6:14:26 AM8/27/13
to bust...@googlegroups.com
Since today a npm install buster terminates with the follwoing error:

Any hints on that?

August Lilleaas

Aug 27, 2013, 6:44:56 AM8/27/13
to bust...@googlegroups.com
That looks weird (tm).. Never seen that error message before. Google tells me that this happens if you update your node version but not your npm version. Perhaps there's something a bit odd with your particular setup?

Stein Magnus Jodal

Aug 27, 2013, 6:46:42 AM8/27/13
to bust...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Andreas Köberle <koeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since today a npm install buster terminates with the follwoing error:

I've experienced the same issue today. Googling for the error, I found
that the solution should be to run `npm cache clear`. Doing so and
rerunning `npm install` in a project depending on Buster, I got the
following error instead:

$ npm install
npm WARN package.json el...@0.1.1 No repository field.
npm WARN unmet dependency
/home/jodal/dev/elvis/node_modules/buster/node_modules/buster-server-cli/node_modules/phantom/node_modules/dnode
requires dnode-protocol@'~0.1.2' but will load
npm WARN unmet dependency
/home/jodal/dev/elvis/node_modules/buster/node_modules/buster-server-cli/node_modules/phantom/node_modules/dnode-protocol,
npm WARN unmet dependency which is version 0.2.2

I'm guessing somebody removed some old versions of dnode-protocol from NPM?

As to August's recent suggestion: I'm running node/npm from the
APT/PPA repo, where they come bundled as a single Debian package, so I
should not have a mismatch between my node and npm versions.

--
Stein Magnus Jodal

August Lilleaas

Aug 27, 2013, 6:49:32 AM8/27/13
to bust...@googlegroups.com
Seconding the observation of removed packages from the npm repos. I've
seen this happen before, and it's quite unsettling to say the least..

I wonder if this is something the npm repo does, or if it's the package
maintainers that deletes old versions by hand.

Mathias Schreck

Aug 27, 2013, 2:34:32 PM8/27/13
to bust...@googlegroups.com
There is an corrupted with zero bytes: https://github.com/substack/socket.io-client/tarball/master.

fails with the same error message.

This tarball is a subdependency of buster-server-cli:
├─┬ pha...@0.3.5
  │ ├─┬ dn...@0.9.12
  │ │ ├── UNMET DEPENDENCY jsonify 0.0.x
  │ │ ├── UNMET DEPENDENCY lazy >=1.0.5 <1.1
  │ │ ├── UNMET DEPENDENCY socket.io 0.8.6
  │ │ └── UNMET DEPENDENCY socket.io-client https://github.com/substack/socket.io-client/tarball/master

I think the main problem is that buster depends on many outdated packages. The latest version of dnode does not longer have a dependency on this tarball.