Re: [bus1-devel] dbus-broker Wwithout systemd?

121 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

David Rheinsberg

ungelesen,
14.04.2019, 07:32:2214.04.19
an did...@slint.fr, bus1-devel
Hi

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 9:53 AM <did...@slint.fr> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I am the maintainer of the Slint distribution, http://slint.fr/wiki//fr/start
>
> I have heard that dbus-broker could enhance performances, especially when using a11y software.
>
> This does interest me as Slint is fully accessible with Braille and speech, including in graphical mode ustng the at-* stack and Orca.
>
> But if I understand well dbus-broker can' be used without systemd, but Slint (Slackware derivative) does not include systemd.
>
> Please confirm or infirm that dbus-broker needs (and will always need) systemd.

You can see the list of dependencies in the README file [1]. For the
`dbus-broker` binary this would be a recent linux kernel and a libc.
The `dbus-broker` project provides an example launcher for
compatibility with `dbus-daemon`. This launcher, as listed in the
README file, additionally depends on `systemd` and `expat`. To my
knowledge, there currently is no other launcher with dbus-daemon
compatibility, though.

The `dbus-broker` project provides a standalone implementation of a
D-Bus Message Bus. It was intentionally designed to not place any
restrictions on its surroundings (and as such does not mandate any
dependencies other than a linux kernel). However, someone has to
integrate it into existing distribution setups. The
`dbus-broker-launch` binary provides such an integration for the
Fedora Distribution and other compatible ones.

Thanks
David

[1] https://github.com/bus1/dbus-broker/blob/master/README.md

Didier Spaier

ungelesen,
14.04.2019, 08:06:1214.04.19
an David Rheinsberg, bus1-devel
Hi,

Thanks for your answer, David.

On 14/04/2019 13:32, David Rheinsberg wrote:
> The `dbus-broker` project provides an example launcher for
> compatibility with `dbus-daemon`. This launcher, as listed in the
> README file, additionally depends on `systemd` and `expat`. To my
> knowledge, there currently is no other launcher with dbus-daemon
> compatibility, though.
>
> The `dbus-broker` project provides a standalone implementation of a
> D-Bus Message Bus. It was intentionally designed to not place any
> restrictions on its surroundings (and as such does not mandate any
> dependencies other than a linux kernel). However, someone has to
> integrate it into existing distribution setups. The
> `dbus-broker-launch` binary provides such an integration for the
> Fedora Distribution and other compatible ones.

Slackware (and Slint, as Slackware derivative) currently uses
as daemon manager a shell script /etc/rc.d/rc.messagebus (attached).

can I just use this script, possibly with some changes, and continue
to use dbus-dameon, instead of switching to dbus-broker-launch?

If the answer is yes, could you please give me some pointers to
help me find out which changes would be necessary?

Thanks and best regards,

Didier

rc.messagebus

David Rheinsberg

ungelesen,
14.04.2019, 10:56:3514.04.19
an Didier Spaier, bus1-devel
Hi

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 2:06 PM Didier Spaier <did...@slint.fr> wrote:
> can I just use this script, possibly with some changes, and continue
> to use dbus-dameon, instead of switching to dbus-broker-launch?
>
> If the answer is yes, could you please give me some pointers to
> help me find out which changes would be necessary?

There seems to be a misunderstanding: `dbus-broker` is an
implementation of the D-Bus specification, just like `dbus-daemon` is.
However, the original `dbus-daemon` provides a lot more tooling around
it, including parsing service files, handling service activation,
parsing configuration files and providing a message bus policy. These
are all features beyond the D-Bus specification, and thus are not
standardized in any way.

A pure bus implementation like `dbus-broker` does not get you
anywhere. You need some integration into the actual system. With
`dbus-broker-launch` we provide this for systems based on systemd. The
original `dbus-daemon` had all this functionality included in its
base, rather than splitting both apart.

If you intend to employ `dbus-broker` over `dbus-daemon`, there are 2 options:

1) Use the provided launcher `dbus-broker-launch`, which is tailored
for systemd-based distributions.
2) Write your own launcher. This very likely requires parsing bus
configuration files, service configuration files, and the message bus
policy, and then spawning your own instance of `dbus-broker`. This is
in no way a trivial task. However, it is completely unrelated to
D-Bus, which is why we don't believe this belongs into `dbus-broker`.
The information to write a launcher yourself, and how to interact with
`dbus-broker` instances is documented in the `dbus-broker(1)`
man-page.

Thanks
David

Didier Spaier

ungelesen,
14.04.2019, 15:34:2714.04.19

On 14/04/2019 16:56, David Rheinsberg wrote:
> If you intend to employ `dbus-broker` over `dbus-daemon`, there are 2 options:
>
> 1) Use the provided launcher `dbus-broker-launch`, which is tailored
> for systemd-based distributions.
> 2) Write your own launcher. This very likely requires parsing bus
> configuration files, service configuration files, and the message bus
> policy, and then spawning your own instance of `dbus-broker`. This is
> in no way a trivial task. However, it is completely unrelated to
> D-Bus, which is why we don't believe this belongs into `dbus-broker`.
> The information to write a launcher yourself, and how to interact with
> `dbus-broker` instances is documented in the `dbus-broker(1)`
> man-page
None of these options feasible now or in the short term, so I will
keep dbus-daemon in Slint for now.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Best regards,

Didier