python2 end of life, bup to be remove from debian and other distros

web.p...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2020, 6:43:20 AM4/30/20
to bup-list
Hi there,

Several distros like Debian and Ubuntu are now droping python2 from there repositories. It means that bup will be dropped as well everywhere soon if it can't run with python3.
Is there any ongoing plan to port it to python 3 as it sounds a bit urgent now?

I maintain kup-backup for Debian which use bup as backend. And as I can see for Debian bup is now removed from testing and fail to build/run in unstable.
There is a bug reported here:
This bug is taggeg "upstream" as it can't be solved by packaging tricks and require bup to be properly ported to python3.

If there is any experimental python3 port branch or development-version that I can help to test, I will be happy to help and provide feedback or patches.

Thomas

Johannes Berg

Apr 30, 2020, 7:08:46 AM4/30/20
to web.p...@gmail.com, bup-list
On Thu, 2020-04-30 at 03:43 -0700, web.p...@gmail.com wrote:

> If there is any experimental python3 port branch or development-
> version that I can help to test, I will be happy to help and provide
> feedback or patches.

Master has python3 support, but you have to build/run it a bit
specially, you can check the test suite.

johannes

Rob Browning

May 4, 2020, 4:47:13 PM5/4/20
to web.p...@gmail.com, bup-list
web.p...@gmail.com writes:

> I maintain kup-backup for Debian which use bup as backend. And as I
> can see for Debian bup is now removed from testing and fail to
> build/run in unstable. There is a bug reported here:
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=936251 This bug is
> taggeg "upstream" as it can't be solved by packaging tricks and
> require bup to be properly ported to python3.
>
> If there is any experimental python3 port branch or
> development-version that I can help to test, I will be happy to help
> and provide feedback or patches.

As Johannes mentioned, you likely want to try current master, which we
think should work with python 3, and we'd be very happy to have help
testing it. The plan, time permitting, is to finish up and make a
0.30.1 stable release with some important fixes fairly soon, and then
focus on a release from master, which will be 0.40 unless we decide to
call it something else, and which will include support for python 3.

We're not planning to add much else to master before that, so we hope to
be able to make that release fairly soon too.

I'll make a request for broader testing here once we're closer.

Oh, and if you do want to try master with python 3 sooner, you'll need
to set

BUP_ALLOW_UNEXPECTED_PYTHON_VERSION=true

in the environment for now. e.g.

make BUP_ALLOW_UNEXPECTED_PYTHON_VERSION=true check

etc., and of course, we'll remove that requirement before the final
release.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org

Alek Paunov

May 6, 2020, 8:13:29 PM5/6/20
to web.p...@gmail.com, bup-list
On 4/30/20 1:43 PM, web.p...@gmail.com wrote:
> Several distros like Debian and Ubuntu are now droping python2 from there repositories. It means that bup will be dropped as well everywhere soon if it can't run with python3.
> Is there any ongoing plan to port it to python 3 as it sounds a bit urgent now?
>
> I maintain kup-backup for Debian which use bup as backend. ...

I am on Fedora everywhere, and until f32 release few days ago, I was
happy and careless `dnf install bup` [1] user (Thank you, Tadej! [2]).

Now, for the sites I support, I began thinking to replace (temporarily
[i]) bup (1) with a simple f30 [ii] RPMs based systemd-nspawn container,
with mkosi definition (systemd-container package and mkosi python3
script seems to be available anywhere [3]).

But @Thomas ... , for active Ubuntu users, perhaps more apropriate
temporary solution would be a bup snap [4] (confinement: classic, python2)?.

Kind Regards,
Alek

P.S. I know barely nothing about Snappy technology, except that it is a)
not so bad pycharm [5] delivery option (for all popular distributions)
and b) their team tries (very gently) to contribute to the sqlite
project (which is somewhat ... conservative) a killer clustering feature
[6], (which of course is used in the snapd stack) based on binary
transaction log shipping - IMHO, the project deserve admiration, just
for that :-). Anyway, I am willing to help with the snap, if considered.

[i] until I manage to verify bup-save-s of python3/bup-0.30 for
few weeks.

[ii] not f31, because f30 also have python2-tornado (i.e. bup-web)

[1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/bup/blob/f31/f/bup.spec
f32 also contains python27, but not out-of-the-box: acl, xattr,
fuse ...

[2] https://src.fedoraproject.org/user/tadej
Tadej Janež, bup maintainer in Fedora/descendant-or-self::*

[3] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/systemd-nspawn.1.html
https://github.com/systemd/mkosi

Everywhere, except alpine and slack of course :-)

[4] https://snapcraft.io/#python
https://ubuntu.com/blog/how-to-snap-introducing-classic-confinement

[5] https://snapcraft.io/pycharm-community
https://github.com/JetBrains/intellij-community
IMHO, pycharm CE is currently is the best open-source python
code bases browser. It is deliverable in e.g. Fedora with:

dnf install snapd && snap install pycharm-community

so, something way more simple like bup, should be possible
to be "installed" the same way, too.

[6] https://github.com/canonical/sqlite/commits/replication-support

Alek Paunov

May 6, 2020, 8:43:16 PM5/6/20
to bup-list
On 5/7/20 3:13 AM, Alek Paunov wrote:
>  [i] until I manage to verify bup-save-s of python3/bup-0.30 for
>      few weeks.

Typo: I meant python3/0.40 here

web.p...@gmail.com

May 19, 2020, 4:59:55 AM5/19/20
to bup-list
Hi Rob, Johannes,

Thank you Rob and Johannes for the explanations.
I’m currently testing this in a sandbox. I updated the actual debian package with a snapshot of the master bup repo and rebuilt it against python 3.
There are some failing tests at build and I had to patch "config/configure" line 65 to add a check for python3 bin.

So far I managed to do some backup successfully(I guess) but I didn’t try to recover from them yet.

I will maybe propose patches (here) and a debdiff (for debian experimental) if my experiments are successful.

@Rob I do understand your plan of focus on a 0.30.1 release now but my opinion is that the side effect of the removal of Bup of a lot of major distros can be also harmful for the Bup project.

Thomas

Johannes Berg

May 19, 2020, 5:11:10 AM5/19/20
to web.p...@gmail.com, bup-list
Hi,

> I’m currently testing this in a sandbox. I updated the actual debian
> package with a snapshot of the master bup repo and rebuilt it against
> python 3.
> There are some failing tests at build and I had to patch
> "config/configure" line 65 to add a check for python3 bin.

I think only "bup web" tests (should) fail? I have some patches for that
in my repo (https://git.sipsolutions.net/bup.git or
https://github.com/jmberg/bup)

> So far I managed to do some backup successfully(I guess) but I didn’t
> try to recover from them yet.

Heh. I've been doing the reverse, testing 'bup web' and restore with
python3, from backups made with python2.

> @Rob I do understand your plan of focus on a 0.30.1 release now but my
> opinion is that the side effect of the removal of Bup of a lot of
> major distros can be also harmful for the Bup project.

Well, the next release after that is planned right away, and should
happen within a reasonably short period of time.

johannes