RE: Braillists Forum: DAISY

Mary Ward

Jul 30, 2017, 3:51:35 PM7/30/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Here’s what my discussion was about.  I would like to see some of the features currently available in DAISY formats also made available in Braille documents.  Right now, in a brf formatted document, or a dxb formatted document, navigation units are extremely limited, sometimes ambiguous, and sometimes completely unavailable.  Of course, it is quite easy to navigate by the length of the display, which might be 14 to 80 cells.  This is the panning so familiar to all of us.  Most displays and notetakers also allow us to navigate by other units, such as character, word, line, or paragraph.  Some allow us to navigate by sentence.  However, few of them let us define what is to constitute a paragraph for a given document.  Will the paragraph be set off by two enters, a hard return, or a hard return followed by two spaces, as it is in Braille.  We might be able to navigate by page, but we usually can’t specify whether we want to use Braille or print page numbers.  Finally, we can’t move by heading or heading level.  Moving by headings and being able to specify which level would be extremely helpful in books that have a table of contents.  I can’t speak for anyone else, but for me, at least, the inability to actually make use of a table of contents is the biggest reason for not reading Braille documents.  This is why I end up using speech on my computer, though I know that I really could use a display connected to my computer or iOS device.  I feel torn between the intimacy and familiarity of Braille on the one hand and the ease of use of speech on the other.

Am I the only person who feels this way?  Are there other people who would like to be able to expect just a few of the many useful features of print and even spoken documents in Braille?  Why can’t we move in Braille documents by headings?  Why can’t many of our notetakers be told that in a brf document, a paragraph may not be preceeded by two enters?

If I’m the only one, I will shut my big Texas mouth.  Thanks for hearing me.

Aug 8, 2017, 10:45:34 AM8/8/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mary. My thoughts after your quote;

> Here’s what my discussion was about. I would like to see some of the
> features currently available in DAISY formats also made available in
> Braille documents. Right now, in a brf formatted document, or a dxb
> formatted document, navigation units are extremely limited, sometimes
> ambiguous, and sometimes completely unavailable.

> Moving by headings and being able to specify which level would be
> extremely helpful in books that have a table of contents. I can’t
> speak for anyone else, but for me, at least, the inability to actually
> make use of a table of contents is the biggest reason for not reading
> Braille documents.

We have recently run into this problem with the Canute user interface
design. We wanted to support chapters (i.e. navigation by headings), but
our chosen formats, BRF and PEF, don't readily support that.

Reading headings in the former, BRF, in a computational way (e.g. to
generate tables of contents) would require clever and likely unreliable
reading of the formatting (e.g. if its centred then its a heading). Too
much effort and too likely to give the wrong results.

Reading headings in the latter, PEF, which uses XML and unicode Braille
codes, is far more viable. XML allows heading 'nodes' (marking the text
as a heading something like, "<heading>Heading 1</heading>"). But even
then we couldn't examples of files that take advantage of this.

The DAISY Consortium could be the people to back richly formatted PEF in
stead of BRF. BRF and PEF can be converted between with a simple script,
so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

The Braillists Foundation could conceivably look into this as a project,
if someone with an understanding of computer formats is prepared to lead
it.

Ed

E M Rogers

Aug 8, 2017, 11:08:43 AM8/8/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
This is what the PEF format says about headings and other rich
navigation formatting on PEF;

------

# Why Use XML?

PEF uses XML because:

- It allows metadata. A PEF file can contain information about its
contents.

- It is extensible. New features can easily be introduced in future
versions, such as ink overlay or tactile graphics. Third party custom
features such as heading or paragraph markers are also possible via
namespace additions.

- XML tools are widely available and easy to use. No parsing or
validating tools need to be developed to implement PEF.

- It allows structural markup. Following XML convention, PEF uses
markup rather than control characters for structural elements such as
rows and pages. Structural markup simplifies processing in an XML
environment and ensures compatibility with future extensions.

------

In other words, if someone were to propose an extension of the PEf
format, and a convenient extension for converting from BRF to PEF, there
might be some chance of improving this situation.

Ed

Mary Ward

Aug 8, 2017, 1:10:11 PM8/8/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com