Announcing the next meeting of the Reading Braillists.

Jen Bottom

Oct 12, 2018, 6:29:05 AM10/12/18
to braillists
Hi everyone,
Finally after a long break, the next meeting of the Braillists in Reading will be on the 8th of December, at the Novotel in Reading.
The venue is on frier street, very close to Reading station.
It is also very close to bus stops.
The meeting is from 12 pm until 2 pm, but we will have the room for a bit longer than that, if people want to stay and network for a bit.
We are able to meet people at the station if required, I Will put out a description of us the night before, or we will have a sign, so if you are using assistance they should be able to find us easily.
Currently catering is not provided, but if this is something that people would like and numbers look good I can certainly arrange this.
So what’s on at the meeting?
Someone from Bristol braille will be there to demo the latest Canute and answer questions about it.
Also Steph from vision through sound will be available to demo the orbit reader.
I know this has already been out for awhile, but if anyone is on the fence about buying one, or didn’t get an opportunity to see it yet, this would be a great event to attend.
Also laura Marsial from the University of Reading who is currently doing a dissertation about Braille will be there to give a short talk about her research and possibly request some volunteers to help with this.
She has already posted to the fore about this, so I’m sure most of you will be aware.
It will be really interesting to Hear how the research is going, and what she has found out so far.
If anyone has any questions please let me know via this thread, or you can contact me directly.
You will probably get a quicker response though if you post to the thread, as I may miss emails if they get put into my spam folder for some reason. I am also planning to reach out to the local VI societies in Reading and Berkshire, as I think it would be great if some of their members or staff could attend.
I feel it’s very important for people who are perhaps just starting out on this site loss journey to know what’s available to them, so they can make informed choices about where Braille might fit into their lives.
If anyone has ideas of other organisations I should reach out to then please let me know I will be very grateful to hear them.
Looking forward to seeing some of you there.
Best,
Jen!

Sent from my iPhone

Chris McMillan

Oct 13, 2018, 10:52:34 AM10/13/18
to brail...@googlegroups.com
I can meet anyone from the station, Jen.  Best bet would be to ask assistance to bring you to the braille/large print map on the main concourse where I’d hang about.
--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.
---

Chris McMillan

Oct 15, 2018, 11:54:47 AM10/15/18
to brail...@googlegroups.com
RNIB Connect on FB for the SE, or I’ll do it on your behalf if you’re not an FB person.  There are several people from near us, don’t know if they’re braillists. Mentioned it to my two braillistsp friends but they have to see if they can so it round already committed fundraising stints.  I could see the decision clogs whirring in
 my friend’s head, she’s a real committed braillist but doesn’t do computing easily so what I said whetted her appetite so much!.

E M Rogers

Oct 17, 2018, 8:30:14 AM10/17/18
to braillists
Looking forward to it Jen!

Ed

| Bristol Braille Technology CIC | Tel: +447908 569 214 |

Jen Bottom

Oct 19, 2018, 9:08:18 AM10/19/18
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Mi too Ed.

Also thanks for your offer of help Chris.

If anyone would like some assistance getting to the venue nearer the
time just let us know.

Best,
Jen.
> --
> If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please
> email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward
> on any error messages you may have received.
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/alpine.DEB.2.20.1810171329590.6776%40m-ThinkPad-X230.

Jen Bottom

Nov 22, 2018, 10:13:08 AM11/22/18
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

It would be great if anyone who is planning to come to the meeting on
the 8th of December could reach out and let me know, as I would like
an idea of numbers for the food arrangements.

I'm not a huge fan of food waste, but also want to make sure we have enough :)

I have reached out to Berkshire Blind and the Reading Blind Society,
but unfortunately did not get any kind of response from them.

Also if anyone has friends, family or colleagues who may be interested
and are in the Reading area, or willing to travel, feel free to parse
my details along to them.

Best,
Jen.

Judith Furse

Nov 22, 2018, 10:26:09 AM11/22/18
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jen,

Mary and I are hoping to come to the meeting on 8 Dec. However, Mary's
husband is seriously ill and this may mean we can't come.

Just to complicate matters Mary has to have gluten and dairy-free food. We
were always impressed that you had gluten-free cake at previous meetings.

I don't know if this will be possible at the new venue.

If they do provide the right food and then we can't come, I'll be happy to
pay for it.

Kind regards,
Judith
Tel: 01793 976196
Mobile: 07403 646773
Email: info.swin...@gmail.com
Web: www.swindonbraille.co.uk
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/CAGhbDZAni8%3DU69tw2NTXPMb6S7eXhoV2u_D8jT-OToN4OHMx0w%40mail.gmail.com.

Chris McMillan

Nov 22, 2018, 10:43:55 AM11/22/18
to brail...@googlegroups.com
All being well, me, Jen.  I mentioned it to a few friends, one has had emergency op to a leg, the other is a GDO collector that day. The others weren’t committing themselves not being Reading based.

Jen Bottom

Nov 22, 2018, 11:37:30 AM11/22/18
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info Judith and Chris.

I will ask the hotel re Gluten/Dairy free food and keep you posted.

No need to pay for anything Judith.

No reason why people who can eat Gluten and Dairy can't eat things
that don't contain those substances :)

And I don't mind taking a few bits home or finding owners for them.

I'll try to remember to bring a few containers just in case :)

Also parse on my regards and good wishes to Mary and her husband.

I'm planning to reach out on the RNIB Connect South East group on
FaceBook, but if there are any other organisations/places people think
I shold be contacting please let me know.

I'm very passionate about this, but not a marketing pro :O

Best,
Jen!
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/CAMi-b_S5kVnq_YBcCKBSdd1zFFCbpU4SSJzVdreQnxom%2B9EF1Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Steven Bingham

Nov 22, 2018, 12:51:21 PM11/22/18
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jen

Anne and I will be coming.

See you on 8 December.

Steve

Nov 23, 2018, 9:07:09 AM11/23/18
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jen,

Thank you for being so helpful and understanding. We will definitely try to
be there.

Kind regards,
Judith
Tel: 01793 976196
Mobile: 07403 646773
Email: info.swin...@gmail.com
 My head's in a whirl, Jen, too much to do.  I think I mentioned it ages back but can’t remember now.

>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/braillists.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/alpine.DEB.2.
20.1810171329590.6776%40m-ThinkPad-X230.

If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please
email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and
forward on any error messages you may have received.
---

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/braillists.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/braillists/CAGhbDZAni8%3DU69tw2NTXPMb6S7eXhoV2u_D8jT-
OToN4OHMx0w%40mail.gmail.com.

If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please
email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward
on any error messages you may have received.
---

If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.

Jen Bottom

Dec 3, 2018, 1:46:53 PM12/3/18
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

This is a quick note to let you know that some people from the news
organisation Reuters, will be at the Reading meeting on the 8th to get
some footage of the Canute in action.

If anyone does not want to be filmed or photographed that's fine, just
let the folks from Reuters know.

I am not exactly sure of what the footage will involve, but I'm sure
it won't distract from the meeting too much.

FYI the link to their UK site is here:
https://uk.reuters.com

If anyone has any questions or concerns about this please reply to
this thread and let me know.

Looking forward to seeing some of you on the 8th.

Best,
Jen!