Tactile photography project

Paul Sullivan

Aug 1, 2017, 7:17:17 AM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Hazel and I had a visit last week from Ben Luger. Ben did a
degree in photography a while ago. In his third year he did
a project on tactile images, which was not aimed at visually
impaired people in particular. Since then he has been trying
to perfect his process, which uses photographic gel, rather
than Swell Paper or thermoforms.

Ben brought a sample of his work for us to feel. It was one
of a series of images of smoke rising from a burning candle.
The background was like a large tile (about a4 size) with a
glass-like surface from which the raised image emerged.
Hazel and I found it very pleasing to the touch. The
intricate patterns formed by the rising smoke were easy to
feel against the smooth, flat background. There was no
visual contrast though. The images are meant to be explored
by touch alone, whether you have sight or not.

Ben is now seeking funding to complete his project and put
on an exhibition of his work. He also wants to find a way of
"publishing" his images, so that they can be appreciated
anywhere.

Ben's images are all abstract, like the rising smoke he
showed us. Other topics could include clouds and the sea. He
is also interested in astronomy and he talked excitedly
about producing tactile photographs of the Milky Way.

My heart usually sinks when people want to show me their
tactile art projects, and, if I am honest, I was not
expecting a lot when Ben asked if we could meet. However, I
was really impressed with it, and so was Hazel.
Consequently, we are going to invite Ben to a meeting of the
Braillists later in the year, so that he can get feedback
from more people. He has already had some feedback from
Jenny Fortescue and visually impaired people at RNIB in
Bristol, and I have suggested a few other groups he might be
able to show it to.

Best wishes,

Paul

Jackie Brown

Aug 1, 2017, 8:32:31 AM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul

This is indeed most interesting. I have a deep fascination for astronomy, and have often talked with my husband about how a blind person could get some kind of perception of space, planets and other aspects.

Kind regards,

Jackie Brown
Email: Jackiean...@gmail.com
Follow me on Twitter: @thebrownsplace
Skype name: thejackmate
--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.
---

Judith Furse

Aug 1, 2017, 8:56:17 AM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

Is Ben the young man who came to the Reading braillists?

I'm always intersted in raised images and am happy to participate in
research in this area.

Kind regards,
Judith
Tel: 01793 976196
Mobile: 07403 646773
Email: info.swin...@talktalk.net
Aug 1, 2017, 9:51:22 AM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi paul,

Any idea how far Ben is prepared to travel? I am based in West Yorkshire.
Write to me off the list if you wish.

Norman.

Aug 1, 2017, 10:51:24 AM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
If that ever moves across the pond, I would love to see it. I think I could appreciate tactile abstract images. But I am not able to interpret two-dimensional representations of objects. I found out that I was not alone only recently. I always assumed that there was something wrong with me or that I was just stupid. But a tactile representation of something abstract like smoke is something I could really appreciate.

Aug 1, 2017, 11:24:38 AM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Judith,

No. I think the person you are thinking of was Adam
Thompson.

Hope all is well with you.

Paul
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/7CFD954E80A840A7A5BF40369637DB20%40UserPC.
> For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Paul Sullivan

Aug 1, 2017, 11:54:24 AM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Norman,

I'll ask Ben and get back to you.

Paul

Aug 1, 2017, 11:58:55 AM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

I am in the Wakefield area. I am a member of the board for Wakefield Sight
Aid.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/F86BA758ADA9485B89455E3C328CD6B4%40PaulPC.

Judith Furse

Aug 1, 2017, 1:50:15 PM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Judith Furse

Aug 1, 2017, 1:53:28 PM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

Would he come to Swindon? Failing that I could come to Bristol.

Kind regards,
Judith
Tel: 01793 976196
Mobile: 07403 646773
Email: info.swin...@talktalk.net
Aug 1, 2017, 3:06:27 PM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
On reflection, I think you must have meant Calvin, who
brought examples of his tactile printing. He was a student
at the University of the West of England.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/1DD26E74820A497697A5A2FD1A59455B%40UserPC.

Paul Sullivan

Aug 1, 2017, 3:09:02 PM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
I'll ask him.

Aug 1, 2017, 4:32:17 PM8/1/17
to Braillists, pdsul...@blueyonder.co.uk
Hi Everyone,

I've just been reading all your posts with great interest so I thought I quickly add more info about my work!

The process I am using adapts part of an extinct photographic process that is over 150 years old. My photographic reliefs are created in the darkroom by the action of light on a sensitised substrate, as such I consider them to be as much a photograph as a standard, visual photograph. They are not manually adapted or interpreted, if that makes sense.

I am currently at the final stage of research and development  to ensure the process is consistent and commercially viable. Once I crack that I am well on the way to produce many projects, needless to say I have LOTS of ideas for subject matter! To enable me to get this final stage completed I am working on various funding applications. I have a number of skilled arts professionals keen to collaborate and support me too, so my focus now is to get the money required to make it happen!

Due to a full time job and a young baby I will struggle to travel far at the moment unfortunately, but I am more than happy to meet in Bristol if anyone would like to. I only have one sample image to show at the moment but I am always keen to meet up and get feedback and to discuss ideas. As Paul mentioned I've tested my work with various visually impaired people locally who have been kind enough to lend me their time and two pennies worth, and I have always found it productive, thought provoking and inspiring.

I can keep everyone updated on my progress via this group if it is of interest. I am quickly learning that it will be somewhat of a long-burn project however as I now rely on funding, but I won't stop until I get top the end result!

Best regards,

Ben

Elisabeth Standen

Aug 1, 2017, 5:25:52 PM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ben

I live in Bedminster, Bristol, and I would certainly be interested in seeing your Tactile Photos.

Elisabeth Standen

--

If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.
---

Judith Furse

Aug 6, 2017, 1:00:06 PM8/6/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,

Thank you for the explanation. It would be great to be kept updated about this. It sounds so interesting.

I may be able to come to Bristol if you need more input but you probably have quite a few people in that area who can give you feedback. However if it would help you to have test subjects from further afield, just shout!

Kind regards,
Judith
Tel: 01793 976196
Mobile: 07403 646773
Aug 20, 2017, 3:23:05 PM8/20/17
to Braillists, pdsul...@blueyonder.co.uk
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a few visually impaired people based in Bristol who would like to test my tactile photos. In particular I'm seeking people who don't mind being filmed whilst they explore my artwork, I'm planning to create a short video to help support my funding applications and it may also be used on my website eventually. I know a couple of people expressed an interest to try out my work, hopefully being videoed won't put you off!

If you'd like to take part please let me know, I'm hoping to do this before the end of August as I have some interesting meetings coming up in September.

Best regards,

Ben

Elisabeth Standen

Aug 20, 2017, 5:49:41 PM8/20/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ben

I live in Bristol, Bedminster to be precise, and would be interested in seeing your work.  Videoing wouldn’t put me off.

Elisabeth Standen

Aug 21, 2017, 1:48:53 AM8/21/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant, thanks Elisabeth. I'll send you an email tonight with more details so we can make arrangements.