3d printed braille notemaker

Haydn Jones

Mar 20, 2017, 3:11:01 PM3/20/17
to Braillists
I have just released the files for a small 3d printable notemaker for sighted people (carers, teachers nurses etc). If anyone with a 3d printer could give them a go and provide some feedback it would be appreciated. Blind people could possibly use one, but it would be difficult with the small parts. It is a plastic grid which blocks of braille are lined up and a piece of paper is placed on top and rubbed to transfer the text.

E M Rogers

May 12, 2017, 1:12:23 PM5/12/17
to 'Haydn Jones' via Braillists
Hi Haydn. I'm about six weeks later than is strictly polite, but my
comments follow.

You said;
Its a neat concept. Here are my thoughts;

- Is the real value in it as an embossing plate for creating paper
copies, or as a reading surface?

- From our own experimentation we've found that 3D printed Braille
produces low quality dots. What works best is metal pins or ball
bearings that you glue into little dimples in the surface. This is
fractionally more work, but produces higher quality output. You could
link to a standard 1.2mm ball bearing supplier on Ebay or the like.

- If you take the above advice (which you won't need to if your Braille
output is high enough quality; something I couldn't quite make out from
the photo) then you could consider making it out of laser cut 2D
components, which will be faster and easier to make them en mass and
ship out for testing.

- What feedback have you had to date?

- Its sometimes difficult when taking 'brass rubbings' off Braille
surfaces with your hand to keep the paper in place by hand. I couldn't
make out from your project page whether it has a frame to hold the paper
or not.

- To play devil's advocate; what is the benefit of this compared with a
write forwards slate and stylus? Is it, from experience, easier for
non-Braille readers to get started with?

- It looks like you break Braille cells down into three blocks each. I
can see how this becomes fiddly! Perhaps you could split it into two
vertical blocks with up to three dots on each (a la Natesan, Quixote,
Canute). Otherwise it seems more fiddly than a slate and stylus.

- You have 12 x 3 = 36 cells. Each cell has 4 x 3 = 12 blocks. 12
blocks x 36 cells = 432 blocks plus 36 larger blank blocks = 468 blocks.
Obviously you don't need to print quite that many, but how many would
you be expecting people to print out?

Regards

Ed

⠠⠃⠗⠊⠌⠕⠇⠀⠠⠃⠗⠇⠀⠠⠞⠑⠡⠝⠕⠇⠕⠛⠽⠀⠠⠠⠉⠊⠉⠠⠄⠲⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠠⠞⠑⠇⠀⠼⠚⠛⠊⠚⠓⠑⠋⠊⠃⠁⠙
| Bristol Braille Technology CIC | Tel: +447908 569 214 |

Haydn Jones

May 12, 2017, 2:22:53 PM5/12/17
to Braillists, ed.roge...@bristolbraille.co.uk
Hi Ed,

Thanks for replying and sending me so much feedback, I originally only meant it as an experiment to get to grips with braille for more complicated projects. I also have a open design for a very cheap braille keyboard, which may be of use to you. I have been following your work on the canute and i am really impressed with what you have all achieved.

I think the value in the design as it stands is an embossing plate, but i have done an experiment making lego compatible blocks of moon code that could work better as a something to read from. however that way around would mean a set should be left with the person reading rather that the person leaving the notes and be less mobile.

I like the ball bearing idea, my other method was to use pcb and solder re-flow bumps (i have been given a voucher to get this made). there is quite a steep manufacturing price for injection moulded parts for production. Although i found that the 3d printed dots, while not comfortable for reading, seemed to give good results on paper.

I am planning to use laser cutting for the frame at least, and i have access to one in Cardiff.

The only feedback has been from other designers, mostly just encouragement, although I plan to send out samples soon. I don't know why, but this just got through the first round of this years hackaday prize, the judges liked it and i pretty much have to push it forward.

It doesn't have a holding frame, but i thought post-it notes would make for a good medium, so i would incorporate them in to the next version.

The stylus method i am aware of, but i understand that there is a bit of a learning curve, especially with writing in reverse. I'll have to send some out to stylus users to get a comparison.

The reason for the horizontal rather than vertical blocks has the spacing between cells, and the reduced combinations of pieces. As it stands i only need 2 types single and double dot as they have blank reverses. The current prints are fiddly, but i plan on making them larger print, about the type on some shop doors which will hopefully be better, and also try to make them in to 2 wide lego flats for ease of use.

The dimensions are fully customisation for the frame, i use openscad, so all that is needed is to change the line number and cell count and the design reorganised it self.
If someone were to need just a single 12 cell line it would take a maximum of 36 single dots, 36 double dots or 12 blank cells. But as i said, i need to send out samples and get people to let me know what they need, and the intended users don't seem to have 3d printers, this will have to be a manufactured design if it ever gets past a beta stage.

All the best
Haydn

Dave Williams

May 12, 2017, 3:34:52 PM5/12/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fellas

Love reading about this stuff. Although nothing beats actually getting
hands on samples. Any chance of bringing examples to a Braillists meeting?

--
Dave
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/fa3e94c4-9471-4830-b9c2-6f55c4651463%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/fa3e94c4-9471-4830-b9c2-6f55c4651463%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

E M Rogers

May 29, 2017, 11:17:48 AM5/29/17
to 'Haydn Jones' via Braillists
Haydn

I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour at a Braillists
meeting one day soon. Keep eyes peeled for the next newsletter, which
should be announcing a few dates soon.

Ed