RE: Braillists Forum: Blowing the Braille Trumpet

Mary Ward

Jul 31, 2017, 3:22:28 PM7/31/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Chris:

You are right about Braille advocacy in the United States through the National Federation of the Blind.  The other large consumer organization, the American Council of the Blind, is also quite strong on Braille.  Many of the blindness foundations, like American Foundation for the Blind, also promote Braille, especially  for blind children.  I don’t know what happens in your world, but over here, most of the pressure against Braille comes through the education system, the one we call public, as in publicly funded.  Like too many things in my country, it comes down to dollars and politics.  But you can be assured that is not what the parents are told.

I worked very briefly with a couple of teens who had intellectual disabilities.  One also had autism and some physical impairments.  Both these young owmen could have been determined not to be able to read, but both learned Braille.  Both of them dealt with stress by writing Braille letters to people to explain their feelings about incidents that had occurred during their day.  Most of these letters were never sent.  But these students were able to use Braille to help them manage stressful events in their lives.  Using Braille may well have allowed them to avoid behaviors that could have been perceived unfavorably by those around them.  In observing these two, I came to believe that the use of print, had it been viable for them,  might not have had the same beneficial effect on their lives.  Braile was something that belonged to them, but not to those around them.  It made them feel powerful.

Sent: Monday, July 31, 2017 2:53 AM
To: brail...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Braillists Forum: New Member and Question

You have one advantage over us, Mary. An organisation that blows the Braille trumpet loud, long and clear - your National Federation of the Blind (ours of the same name is not the same organisation at all).  If they can't fund something, my guess is it is impossible but science is evolving.  Where does UEB go with this?

On Monday, 31 July 2017, Mary Ward <mary...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

You may be right.  We may not be able to create a Braille code that could be marked up so that we could use things like tables of contents.  Perhaps computer Braille files will always be used primarily for embossing into hard copy and may never become sophisticated documents on their own.  Braille may always be used as a code for translating things into and out of, but that might be all.  This makes its status not all that much different from that of handwriting.  I hope its secondary status as a code doesn’t doom it as handwriting may well be doomed.  We need Braille much more than sighted people need handwriting.  In the meantime, I guess I will have to use Windows and iOS more often and stop using native brf files since I find them so difficult to navigate.  But it would really be nice if we could enjoy more of the benefits of recent technology and still use native Braille documents.  I wish things could be different.

Sad and almost, but not quite, resigned to fate down in Texas,

Mary Ward

Jul 31, 2017, 4:43:46 PM7/31/17
to Braillists Forum
Hi Mary

I have read the NFB’s magazines for many years via the Internet and do a lot of talking to people with Nystagmus (which I have) via the American based internet groups as well as a couple which are worldwide based.  NFB certainly ‘bang the drum’ in their publications.

Interesting to read about the two people who mastered Braille despite additional needs.  Here in the UK from time to time real efforts have been made to harness a UK invented code from around the same time as Braille, known as Moon.  It’s closely related to conventional print, and is easy to learn to read -  however with the *best* will in the world a suitable method of a cheap and cheerful personal method of writing as distinct from ‘commercial’ printing has never emerged and I haven’t seen for quite a long time anything about Moon use in educational establishments with complex needs. Presumably it has now finally been put to rest.

Most of my free time (and a lot which should probably be spent more profitably but isn’t!) is spent supporting people in China who have a visual impairment but one of our early projects has led us to supporting people with more than just a visual impairment, and over the past 18 months, two people in China (one is totally blind), have produced a book on inclusive education.  Although we started out from the premise of visual impairment best practice, it was decided to switch to intellectual disability as this is much more ’taboo’ than even visual impairment in China. The authors visited a number of countries, or did skype or phone calls to people, and the US will have been one country.  I’m champing at all the bits to see it in print but it won’t roll of the Chinese printers until the end of the year at this rate, and until it’s published in it’s Chinese format, all the English originating documentation can’t be released either, so I’m having to possess my soul in patience very much.

On 31 Jul 2017, at 20:22, Mary Ward <mary...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Chris:

You are right about Braille advocacy in the United States through the National Federation of the Blind.  The other large consumer organization, the American Council of the Blind, is also quite strong on Braille.  Many of the blindness foundations, like American Foundation for the Blind, also promote Braille, especially  for blind children.  I don’t know what happens in your world, but over here, most of the pressure against Braille comes through the education system, the one we call public, as in publicly funded.  Like too many things in my country, it comes down to dollars and politics.  But you can be assured that is not what the parents are told.

I worked very briefly with a couple of teens who had intellectual disabilities.  One also had autism and some physical impairments.  Both these young women could have been determined not to be able to read, but both learned Braille.  Both of them dealt with stress by writing Braille letters to people to explain their feelings about incidents that had occurred during their day.  Most of these letters were never sent.  But these students were able to use Braille to help them manage stressful events in their lives.  Using Braille may well have allowed them to avoid behaviors that could have been perceived unfavorably by those around them.  In observing these two, I came to believe that the use of print, had it been viable for them,  might not have had the same beneficial effect on their lives.  Braile was something that belonged to them, but not to those around them.  It made them feel powerful.

Norman

Jul 31, 2017, 4:50:13 PM7/31/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We have 3 kids in the Wakefield District using moon and several using Braille.

Norman.

--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.
---
---

sent with mozilla thunderbird
--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.
---

Christine McMillan

Jul 31, 2017, 4:53:14 PM7/31/17
to Braillists Forum
Oh thanks, Norman - restoring my faith in Moon.

Judith Furse

Aug 1, 2017, 8:57:22 AM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I don’t see RNIB advertising much Moon material these days. Are there many producers?

Kind regards,
Judith
Tel: 01793 976196
Mobile: 07403 646773
Email: info.swin...@talktalk.net
Web: www.swindonbraille.co.uk

Graham Page

Aug 1, 2017, 1:06:00 PM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
It's so hard to produce and it takes up so much space I can't believe anyone bothers with moon.
Perhaps there are a few instances where people have limited feeling in their hands but even then the size and production complexity would limit usefulness.
Perhaps people would have to have impaired touch and hearing as well as little or no sight.

Cheers
Graham

Sent from my iPhone

Norman

Aug 1, 2017, 1:54:46 PM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Graham,

I do know a young girl who has additional problems who cannot cope with Braille so Moon was her only option.

Norman.

If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.
---

If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.
---
---
---
---

Judith Furse

Aug 1, 2017, 1:54:55 PM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Graham,

I think there are some people who struggle with braille but find Moon accessible.

It seems a pity if it isn’t still produced whilst there are people who need it.

Kind regards,
Judith
Tel: 01793 976196
Mobile: 07403 646773
Email: info.swin...@talktalk.net
Web: www.swindonbraille.co.uk

Paul Sullivan

Aug 1, 2017, 3:08:17 PM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've heard it is sometimes used by people with learning
difficulties.

Paul
To post to this group, send an email to
brail...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at
https://groups.google.com/group/braillists.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/03B854F4EB144F32BD563EAFFCB5913C%40UserPC.

---
http://www.avg.com

Christine McMillan

Aug 1, 2017, 4:32:15 PM8/1/17
to Braillists Forum
It’s been used with children with complex needs, and it used to be a suitable medium for the older person for whom Braille wasn’t an option in previous decades.  But it’s the personal ability to write that’s defeated it all along. But as someone said elsewhere, it is still being used within the education field.

Christine McMillan

Aug 1, 2017, 4:32:47 PM8/1/17
to Braillists Forum
Me neither, Judith.  So was interested to see the reply here.

Elisabeth Standen

Aug 1, 2017, 5:32:34 PM8/1/17
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Not just people with learning difficulties, but also some older people. Some people who hands have become toughened by manual work.

Years ago, my grandfather who earned a living making door mats, used moon.

As many of the letters resemble print characters, some people who went blind late in life find it easier to learn.

Elisabeth Standen
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/0AC6D1BE80E345AD9ED0E9844F0D4BBA%40PaulPC.