tethering/hotspot/mifi suggestions

Daniel Choi

Mar 14, 2012, 3:29:24 PM3/14/12
to Boston Ruby Group
Can anyone recommend a good tethering option?

I've used a Verizon SCH-LC11 Samsung wireless hotspot for a year at
$50/mo with a 5GB monthly cap. The SCH-LC11 was fine for web browsing,
but sucked for ssh sessions because it kept dropping them after a few
seconds unless there was activity over the connection. I actually had
to run ping or something in a loop to keep sending characters over the
connection to keep it alive while I multi-tasked.

Obviously this is not good if you want to use a hotspot for
programming and dev ops. Is there a better option? Thanks.

Michael Breen

Mar 14, 2012, 3:32:32 PM3/14/12
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
If you have an iPhone http://tether.com/ looks pretty cool.

Best.
Mike

Daniel Choi

Mar 14, 2012, 3:34:07 PM3/14/12
to Boston Ruby Group

I'd like to know if this kills idle SSH sessions or not.

On Mar 14, 3:32 pm, Michael Breen <hard...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you have an iPhonehttp://tether.com/looks pretty cool.

Aziz Khoury

Mar 14, 2012, 3:45:19 PM3/14/12
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm using android, cyanogenmod 7 ROM, on an LG g2x, with tmobile 2g cap, works like a charm. No ssh time out or connection kill, at least not when on HSPA aka 4g.

Vikram Kumar

Mar 14, 2012, 3:48:19 PM3/14/12
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
Unrelated to wi-fi plans, but to terminal continuity, have you tried screen? (http://www.bangmoney.org/presentations/screen.html)

Vikram

Daniel Choi

Mar 14, 2012, 3:48:36 PM3/14/12
to Boston Ruby Group

Yes, I used to use screen. That's a good suggestion for maintaining
continuity. Now I use tmux, but screen is great too.

On Mar 14, 3:48 pm, Vikram Kumar <vikrambku...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unrelated to wi-fi plans, but to terminal continuity, have you tried screen? (http://www.bangmoney.org/presentations/screen.html)
>
> Vikram
>
> On Mar 14, 2012, at 3:34 PM, Daniel Choi wrote:
>

> > I'd like to know if this kills idle SSH sessions or not.
>
> > On Mar 14, 3:32 pm, Michael Breen <hard...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> If you have an iPhonehttp://tether.com/lookspretty cool.

Brian Cardarella

Mar 14, 2012, 3:49:03 PM3/14/12
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
Have you checked out http://clear.com ?

- Brian

Matt Griffin

Mar 14, 2012, 3:49:49 PM3/14/12
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
What does tether actually cost? They refuse to discuss pricing on their site.

John Norman

Mar 14, 2012, 3:49:57 PM3/14/12
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
Just out of curiosity: Did putting this:

    ServerAliveInterval 60

(or a smaller interval.)

in your .ssh/config help at all?

Daniel Choi

Mar 14, 2012, 3:50:58 PM3/14/12
to Boston Ruby Group

No I haven't. I didn't even know about that option. Thanks, I'll try
it!

Dan Pickett

Mar 14, 2012, 3:52:50 PM3/14/12
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
If you have an android device, I highly recommend PDANet - it has made this surburbanite's ride on the commuter rail very efficient!
--
=========================
Dan Pickett

http://www.twitter.com/dpickett

Michael Breen

Mar 14, 2012, 3:54:45 PM3/14/12
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
I believe* for the iPod version it's $30 for the year. Not sure about the Blackberry or Android.

Phil Darnowsky

Mar 14, 2012, 3:59:39 PM3/14/12
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Android/TMobile combination. Works without fuss, and even when passing through dead zones on the train down to New York, the session is usually in one piece on the other side.

Ben Tucker

Mar 14, 2012, 6:19:51 PM3/14/12
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
I was just advised by one of my colleagues to stay away from
tether.com. He paid for it to try it and says:

1) It's very slow
2) It proxies all your data through some undocumented third party.

Personally, I'm very happy with https://github.com/jeromelebel/iProxy
for my occasionally iOS-assisted tethering needs.

-Ben

Mark Sobkowicz

Mar 14, 2012, 7:33:09 PM3/14/12
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
I use the vanilla ATT iPhone tethering option, which I'm reviewing here because no one has mentioned it. Its somewhat painful to pay the extra $20/month, though they now give you an additional 2GB of data (4 instead of 2 per month). You can connect (I have a mac laptop) using bluetooth or wifi. I find the bluetooth connection to be rock solid. I used it this morning for a couple of hours and I just don't think about it dropping the connection because it never does, whether I'm doing ssh, or just ignoring it and pushing to heroku after half an hour idle (not really idle because its checking mail, etc). The wifi connection does seems to drop more.

Mark

Ben Tucker

Mar 14, 2012, 10:06:41 PM3/14/12
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
One bummer for those of us who have been grandfathered into continued
"Unlimited" data on AT&T: I am told that adding tethering will force
you to lose the Unlimited plan forever.

Sincerely,
The Wet Blanket of the Thread

Dan Sharp

Mar 14, 2012, 10:20:09 PM3/14/12
to boston-r...@googlegroups.com
The really sad thing is that Tether, back when they were iTether, were great (in my experience). I had 'em on my blackberry and it worked flawlessly. Used it when I drove across country (er... my wife did the driving... hehe).

Then, they made a native iPhone app that got approved for a very short time. Those who managed to buy it then are loving it, I'd imagine. I wish I did, but I didn't have an iPhone at the time. For the rest of us (in the US), it's not so good.

I'm gonna give iProxy a go. More setup work, but seems like a solid idea.

If there are any other ways to tether an iPhone (other than paying the carriers extra fees... don't get me started!) I'd love to know about 'em.

Thanks,

Danimal

Nick

Mar 15, 2012, 2:50:15 PM3/15/12
to Boston Ruby Group
I run away from any consumer company that refuses to disclose pricing
information but wants to "Sign Me Up Scotty!"