repoindex source

Bram de Kruijff

Sep 25, 2013, 10:42:59 AM9/25/13
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I was asked to re-submit some osgi/bindex pull requests against
bndtools/bindex. However, the osgi/bindex project still exists and
does not mention it is deprecated.

Can I assume that bndtools/bindex is now the primary code base? In
that case it might be nice to put a notice on osgi/bindex.

Regards,
Bram

BJ Hargrave

Sep 25, 2013, 10:50:06 AM9/25/13

On Sep 25, 2013, at 10:42 , Bram de Kruijff <bdekr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was asked to re-submit some osgi/bindex pull requests against
> bndtools/bindex.

The bndtools effort is now using the bndtools/bindex project for it's repo indexing code.

> However, the osgi/bindex project still exists and
> does not mention it is deprecated.

I am not sure I would say it is deprecated as a project. Just that the bndtools committers are now working on their own fork. There of course can be many forks.

> Can I assume that bndtools/bindex is now the primary code base?

For bndtools purposed, yes.

> In
> that case it might be nice to put a notice on osgi/bindex.

What would the note say? There is a fork somewhere that some developers are working on? That is true for all forks, no?

> Regards,
> Bram
>
> --

BJ

signature.asc

Bram de Kruijff

Sep 25, 2013, 12:17:31 PM9/25/13
On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 4:50 PM, BJ Hargrave <b...@bjhargrave.com> wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2013, at 10:42 , Bram de Kruijff <bdekr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was asked to re-submit some osgi/bindex pull requests against
>> bndtools/bindex.
>
> The bndtools effort is now using the bndtools/bindex project for it's repo indexing code.
>
>> However, the osgi/bindex project still exists and
>> does not mention it is deprecated.
>
> I am not sure I would say it is deprecated as a project. Just that the bndtools committers are now working on their own fork. There of course can be many forks.
>

>> Can I assume that bndtools/bindex is now the primary code base?
>
> For bndtools purposed, yes.
>
>> In
>> that case it might be nice to put a notice on osgi/bindex.
>
> What would the note say? There is a fork somewhere that some developers are working on? That is true for all forks, no?

I can appreciate the politics, but I wasn't looking for the smart
answer ;) As osgi/bindex has not been touched in 6 months leaving
issues unanswered, from a user perspective, it is dead. Add to that
the fact that not "some developers", but the "same developers" have
switched to this fork (and ask me to re-submit requests) you may
understand my confusion.

So... I guess my money is on bndtools/bindex. The suggested note is
just some way to clarify the situation end prevent users from having a
bad experience.IMHO having a inactive project with unsupported impl
code is just bad press for OSGi.

Regards,
Bram

Ferry Huberts

Sep 25, 2013, 12:47:28 PM9/25/13
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
Bram,

bndtools/bindex now is the place to go.
It might get merged back into the osgi/bindex later, but that also might
not happen.
Then again, bndtools/bindex is where all our efforts and future work
will be.

There was a lot of work pending, and that was also blocking some other
work, preventing progress.
politics resulted in forking, with all parties agreeing on the forking :-)

--
Ferry Huberts

--
Ferry Huberts