The bitly .qrcode has stopped working

marza bitas bairas

Apr 5, 2014, 6:49:21 AM4/5/14
to bitl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have noticed that the bitly qrcode obtained qith .qrcode after the shorten URL has stopped working.
I have tried to find any information but i could not.
Does anyone know anything about it.

Thanks in advance

James Socol

Apr 7, 2014, 8:39:17 AM4/7/14
to bitl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, unfortunately Bitly is no longer offering this feature. You can, however, use a Bitly link in any free QR generator online and your stats will still show up in your Bitly account.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Beni Zaks

Apr 8, 2014, 3:45:01 PM4/8/14
to bitl...@googlegroups.com
Hi James
Thank you for your answer
I have to say that its a pitty that Bitly is no longer offering this feature, because it provided a means to differentiate between the hits coming from a digital shortened URL source as apposed to a printed QR code source.
I am working on a paper back book that will have a digital version of the same.
I began using the bitly qrcode for statistics to analyze how many users scan the QR code from the printed out version as opposed to the number of users that press the links in the digital version.
Using the same bitlly code once as a QR code and once as a shortened link, I could see the distribution of users coming from the 2 different sources.

I would appreciate any idea/tip you may have to provide me to continue working in this way. For instance, could there be a suffix or other parameter that I can add to the shortened URL (as Bitly had done by adding ".qrcode" to the end of the shortened URL) to obtain this functionality.??

Thanks in advance
Beni

James Socol

Apr 8, 2014, 4:02:11 PM4/8/14
to bitl...@googlegroups.com
I would probably create two short URLs with Bitly, one pointing to the original long URL and one pointing to the original long URL plus "?ref=qr" or something similar, then turn one of them into a QR code for the printed book.

Beni Zaks

Apr 8, 2014, 4:15:10 PM4/8/14
to bitl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks James for your fast answer
Now i have to add another 300 new bitlys to the 300 i already have :)

Beni

Margaret Todd

Apr 9, 2014, 12:28:07 PM4/9/14
to bitl...@googlegroups.com
Ngah! that feature was super convenient- I have to say I will miss it. In terms of workflow for batched work, having the QR generator right there eased the pain of the repetition in creating 20 shortlinks and QRs at a time....  Is there any reason you can share as to why it was removed?

Jay Rossiter

Apr 8, 2014, 4:02:25 PM4/8/14
to bitl...@googlegroups.com

Beni,

The best method would be using on-site tracking (e.g. Google Analytics, Omniture, etc.) and append tracking tags to the link before shortening it.  For instance, "utm_source=qrcode".

Then you can convert the URL to a qrcode using any number of available services and print it as you would otherwise.

--
You are subscribed to the bitly API discussion group.
for API Documentation visit http://dev.bitly.com/

Jay Rossiter | Software Engineer/System Administrator

Mike White

Apr 10, 2014, 1:34:50 PM4/10/14
to bitl...@googlegroups.com
I'm with Margaret on this one.  It will be missed and was an integral part in our agencies back end workflow and software technologies.  Wish I could have prepared for this a two weeks ago...

Lee Graham

Apr 23, 2014, 1:32:56 PM4/23/14
to bitl...@googlegroups.com
where was the heads up? i don't recall seeing blog posts or emails about this.

an inconvenienced bit.ly user,
Lee