SPV or Web Wallets?

Dean Walsh

Aug 11, 2015, 4:58:58 PM8/11/15
to bitcoin-xt
I am not able to run a full node on my computer but I would like to support the move the bigger blocks. Are there any lightweight wallets or web wallets I can use, which run on xt?

Hector Chu

Aug 11, 2015, 5:07:17 PM8/11/15
to bitco...@googlegroups.com
SPV wallets always follow the longest chain. In the future XT-specific wallets will be available containing a checkpoint of the XT-specific fork, in case the Bitcoin Core chain is winning.

On 11 August 2015 at 21:58, Dean Walsh <deans...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
I am not able to run a full node on my computer but I would like to support the move the bigger blocks. Are there any lightweight wallets or web wallets I can use, which run on xt?

Gavin Andresen

Aug 11, 2015, 5:35:20 PM8/11/15
to bitcoin-xt
On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Hector Chu <hect...@gmail.com> wrote:
SPV wallets always follow the longest chain. In the future XT-specific wallets will be available containing a checkpoint of the XT-specific fork, in case the Bitcoin Core chain is winning.

SPV wallets DO always follow the longest valid-proof-of-work chain.

But there is no "in case the Bitcoin Core chain is winning" and there will be no checkpointing -- big blocks won't happen until there is a supermajority of support.

Gavin Andresen

Dean Walsh

Aug 11, 2015, 5:50:15 PM8/11/15
to bitcoin-xt
Thank for the info guys. So there is nothing to do - no web wallets committed to xt?

Also will there be any kind of campaign to convince people to make the switch at any point? For example, I run a couple of small bitcoin related websites and would be willing to put something like a 'support bigger blocks' ribbon over the corner linking to an information source - although that might be pointless until there is something that more casual users can do.

Tom Harding

Aug 11, 2015, 6:06:11 PM8/11/15
to bitco...@googlegroups.com

You can tell your wallet to connect to an XT node.

On 8/11/2015 2:50 PM, Dean Walsh wrote:
Thank for the info guys. So there is nothing to do - no web wallets committed to xt?

Also will there be any kind of campaign to convince people to make the switch at any point? For example, I run a couple of small bitcoin related websites and would be willing to put something like a 'support bigger blocks' ribbon over the corner linking to an information source - although that might be pointless until there is something that more casual users can do.

NxtChg

Aug 11, 2015, 6:56:14 PM8/11/15
to bitco...@googlegroups.com

>Also will there be any kind of campaign to convince people to make the switch at any point?

What would be nice is to have a better alternative to bitcointalk.org.

With theymos openly censoring XT posts on /r/bitcoin/ it won't be long for BTT to join the campaign against it too.

People started creating their own subreddits, like r/bitcoin_uncensored and r/bitcoinxt, so if there would be an official place,
which has a bit less stigma and a bit more sanely moderated than BTT, people might flock to it just to have a better place to talk
or even simply "to vote with their feet".

Having a better forum would also improve Bitcoin's image.

So, any plans?

--
NxtChg

Mike Hearn

Aug 12, 2015, 2:54:56 AM8/12/15
to bitcoin-xt
We'll go around and talk to the various web wallet developers once the XT with bigger blocks is available and launched. I'd like to have a gallery of websites and logos that are on board.

If you use an SPV wallet you'll just follow the majority whatever happens, so, that's also an option.

Jameson Lopp

Aug 12, 2015, 10:02:02 AM8/12/15
to bitcoin-xt
As a web wallet developer I can tell you that BitGo probably won't announce any support for XT due to bitcoin.org's new policy https://bitcoin.org/en/posts/hard-fork-policy

From a business standpoint it looks like we will be staying neutral and taking a "wait and see" approach.

- Jameson

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 2:54 AM, Mike Hearn <he...@vinumeris.com> wrote:
We'll go around and talk to the various web wallet developers once the XT with bigger blocks is available and launched. I'd like to have a gallery of websites and logos that are on board.

If you use an SPV wallet you'll just follow the majority whatever happens, so, that's also an option.

Mike Hearn

Aug 12, 2015, 10:08:08 AM8/12/15
to bitcoin-xt
I understand your position, but that's still a mistake.

You're effectively allowing theymos to take control of your company through blackmail. Not good.

Chris Wheeler

Aug 12, 2015, 10:59:45 AM8/12/15
to bitcoin-xt
Jameson,

The policy specifically states:

> It does not apply to software that cannot detect the contentious hard fork and which continues doing whatever it would’ve done anyway.

This was added specifically to address concerns that wallets/services which simply follow the longest chain would be affected, and make it clear that they wouldn't. See discussion here https://bitcoin.org/en/posts/hard-fork-policy

I don't think claiming that you support Bitcoin XT would be an issue, as long as you didn't do something like checkpointing the XT fork, or offering users a choice between Core/XT chains etc.

Thanks,

- Chris

Chris Wheeler

Aug 12, 2015, 11:00:38 AM8/12/15
to bitcoin-xt
Sorry, I meant to link to https://github.com/bitcoin-dot-org/bitcoin.org/pull/894 for the discussion :)

Jameson Lopp

Aug 12, 2015, 11:40:23 AM8/12/15
to bitcoin-xt
Yeah, you'll note I was a part of the discussion, and the policy does have the feel of blackmail to me since bitcoin.org is a huge source of traffic for wallet providers.

My primary problem with the kneejerk reaction we're seeing to XT as an "altcoin" is that I don't find two cryptocurrency codebases that are compatible with the same blockchain to be altcoins of each other until AFTER the chain actually diverges. Thus calling a new codebase an "altcoin" is doing little other than instituting a chilling effect upon its adoption.

I haven't looked into it too deeply, but I'm pretty sure that BitGo could switch to supporting XT without changing a single line of code - all we'd have to do is swap out our internal nodes for XT.

Anyway, this decision isn't up to me, I'm just making a note of the chilling effect.

- Jameson