PDS members modified after any specific date

Stephen Waugh

Oct 29, 2002, 4:27:38 PM10/29/02
Fellow Listers,

We have a requirement in our shop. All the members that were changed in a
dataset from any specific Date needs to be identified, and ported over to a
remote FTP site periodically. We need a utility that will scan a given PDS
for members that were changed between a specific date and then copy those
members alone to another temp dataset. Can this be done thru rexx? Would
appreciate any help.

regards
Stephen

Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free! Try MSN.

send email to LIST...@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX

Jim Harrison

Oct 29, 2002, 4:36:52 PM10/29/02
Sound do-able if you are keeping ISPF stats on the members. Using the LM
utilities in ISPF you can scan the PDS looking at change dates and grab the
ones you want and copy them.

At 09:03 PM 10/29/2002 +0000, Stephen Waugh said:
>Fellow Listers,
>
>We have a requirement in our shop. All the members that were changed in a
>dataset from any specific Date needs to be identified, and ported over to a
>remote FTP site periodically. We need a utility that will scan a given PDS
>for members that were changed between a specific date and then copy those
>members alone to another temp dataset. Can this be done thru rexx? Would
>appreciate any help.
>
>regards
>Stephen

Imbriale, Donald , Exchange

Oct 29, 2002, 4:53:28 PM10/29/02
First, you must assure that ISPF statistics are recorded, but that won't
matter if the members are added/updated via batch utilities that don't have
the smarts to set those statistics. But if statistics are available, you
could use ISPF LM services to accomplish the task. Direct REXX could be
used to read the directory, but LM services make it so much easier.

Don Imbriale
dimb...@bear.com <mailto:dimb...@bear.com>

"Mainframe - An obsolete device still used by thousands of obsolete
companies, serving billions of obsolete customers, and making huge obsolete
profits, for their obsolete shareholders. And this year's mainframes run
twice as fast as last year's."

Stephen Waugh

Oct 29, 2002, 4:55:18 PM10/29/02
Can anyone give me the code that will do this?
I'm not very good in REXX!!

Stephen

>From: Jim Harrison <ji...@QIS.NET>
>To: TSO-...@VM.MARIST.EDU
>Subject: Re: PDS members modified after any specific date
>Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:27:05 -0500
>
>Sound do-able if you are keeping ISPF stats on the members. Using the LM
>utilities in ISPF you can scan the PDS looking at change dates and grab the
>ones you want and copy them.
>
>At 09:03 PM 10/29/2002 +0000, Stephen Waugh said:

>>Fellow Listers,
>>
>>We have a requirement in our shop. All the members that were changed in a
>>dataset from any specific Date needs to be identified, and ported over to
>>remote FTP site periodically. We need a utility that will scan a given PDS
>>for members that were changed between a specific date and then copy those
>>members alone to another temp dataset. Can this be done thru rexx? Would
>>appreciate any help.
>>
>>regards
>>Stephen

>For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
>send email to LIST...@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX

AK, Kannan , CORP, Consultant

Oct 29, 2002, 4:50:25 PM10/29/02
Go to 3.4 and open the PDS in question
SAVE DATECHG
ISPF will say List saved
Hit PF1
You will see a long message which should resemble :
<userid>.DATECHG.MEMBERS.
This will give you an idea. Column 3 and 4 are what you are interested in.

Now, this can be automated with LMMLIST with SAVE option and let Rexx work
on the
dataset created. Based on the criteria, you can do a LMMFIND and followed by
LMGET to read off the member into a stem. From the stem, it can be written
or appended
to a dataset.

HTH.

John Kalinich

Oct 29, 2002, 5:58:03 PM10/29/02
Steve,

Here is some rexx I cooked up that uses the PDS command (http://www.cbttape.org, file 182) and TSO XMIT. You would invoke it as follows:

%pdsxmit 'sys1.proclib' date(10/01/02)

This example would copy all SYS1.PROCLIB members updated since 10/01/2002 to a dataset called userid.TEMP which is then XMITed. Instead of XMIT you could use FTP.

Regards,
John Kalinich
CSC-St. Louis, MO

/* Rexx - PDSXMIT */
Arg dsn ifcond
Address Tso
Delete temp
Newstack
Queue "if : "ifcond" then(sublist)"
Queue "copy * temp new cyl space (1,1) dir (5)"
Queue "end"
"Pds "dsn" xispmode"
Delstack
"Xmit to.me dsname(temp) outdsn(tom.conley)"
Exit
/* J. Kalinich, x4521 */

Harrington, Mark

Oct 29, 2002, 5:58:01 PM10/29/02
you know, it seems that I always get the answer post before i get the
question post.
i got this question post 45 minutes after i got most of the answer posts

! llew ho (: :)

Robert Zenuk

Oct 29, 2002, 8:19:01 PM10/29/02
Maybe we could use this to our advantage...

This coming Sunday, I'm going to post the question "What were the winning
Powerball numbers?"

Let us know if you hear anything before that time...

Thanks,
Robert Zenuk
robz...@aol.com

Thomas Conley

Oct 29, 2002, 10:49:41 PM10/29/02
PDS file 182 at www.cbttape.org.

Eckhardt Baginski

Oct 30, 2002, 3:55:39 AM10/30/02
Steve,

i have used REXX for many years and of course the whole problem could be
solved with REXX. In this case there is a faster and more reliable solution
compared to the use of STATS when you use REXX only for a small part. My
solution might work like this:

Use ISPF 3.13 to compare the PDS with itself (same DSN for old and new).
Specify Compare Type File und Listing Type OVSUM.
The result is a member summary listing. It contains - among other useful
data - a HASH-SUM for each member. A changed HASH-SUM is a more reliable
indicator on member change then STATS(ON). Especially if batch jobs are
involved.
Save the summary listing to a file SUMLIST.

Repeat the step before and now create a batch job to compare the PDS. Specs
as above.
Specify the summary listing as a temporary file &&SUMLIST.

Add a second step to the job to compare both summary lists. Put the Result
to temporary file &&DIFFLIST.

Filter and reprocess &&DIFFLIST to collect the members you want to ftp.
This part may be done with a simple REXX, or SORT or ...

Last thing to do - in the above job or after successfull ftp - is to
replace the cataloged file SUMLIST with the contents of the temporary File
&&SUMLIST. You're now ready for the next turn.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Eckhardt.

Stephen Waugh
<steve_mark_w To: TSO-...@VM.MARIST.EDU
augh cc:
@HOTMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: PDS members modified after any specific date
Sent by: TSO
REXX
Discussion
List
<TSO-REXX

29.10.2002
22:51
Please
respond to
TSO REXX
Discussion
List

Ryerse, Robin

Oct 30, 2002, 9:04:58 AM10/30/02
There is an alternative to using the ISPF statistics. Use the TTR from each
directory entry. This method would require maintaining the history of the
last TTR with each run and adjusting that history when the library is
compressed. There are other ways, but SCCPDSD within file520 at
www.cbttap.org is a utility that will populate a stem variable with the
directory entries including the TTR

Imbriale, Donald , Exchange

Oct 30, 2002, 11:21:14 AM10/30/02
It's a good day when you learn something new. I never knew about SUPERC's
ability to generate hash sums. To anyone who intends to use this, the
standard caution regarding hash sums applies (objects with different hash
sums are different; objects with the same hash sum may be different).

Don Imbriale
dimb...@bear.com <mailto:dimb...@bear.com>

"Mainframe - An obsolete device still used by thousands of obsolete
companies, serving billions of obsolete customers, and making huge obsolete
profits, for their obsolete shareholders. And this year's mainframes run
twice as fast as last year's."

teve,

Eckhardt Baginski

Oct 30, 2002, 12:38:53 PM10/30/02
That's true, although i never experienced it. In some (simple) tests with
just reversed chars or different numbers of blanks superc produced
different hash-sums. Does anybody know a test case where different files
produced the same hash-sum? I'd be interested to know more about it. The
manual (ISPF User's Guide Vol. II) only states what Don already told us.

But okay, to be a 100% sure about the reliability of the comparison my
proposal to Steve should be modified as follows:

Save the original contents of the pds and modify step 1 to compare both
files directly. The REXX or Sort or whatever should then directly process
the summary listing from step 1. (And after all the whole new pds has to be
saved.)

Regards.
Eckhardt Baginski.

"Imbriale,
Donald To: TSO-...@VM.MARIST.EDU
(Exchange)" cc:
<dimbriale Subject: Re: PDS members modified after any specific date
@BEAR.COM>

Sent by: TSO
REXX
Discussion
List
<TSO-REXX

30.10.2002
17:08

Please
respond to
TSO REXX
Discussion
List

Imbriale, Donald , Exchange

Oct 30, 2002, 1:14:54 PM10/30/02
The case where the same hash is generated for different objects is dependent
on the algorithm used to generate the hash. For example, if the algorithm
was simply to add the hex values for each individual character, then "AB"
and "BA" would generate the same hash. But if the algorithm is to take add
the hex values of two-character chunks, then "AB" and "BA" would be
different, but "ABBA" and "BAAB" would be the same.

Regards.
Eckhardt Baginski.

teve,