the MOO Borg

1 view

MIKE BENEDICT

Jun 22, 1993, 11:30:16 AM6/22/93
I too have been reading all the chatter about the fun that's
been going in the MOO--growing envious as one who has been
lurking....Then I did an impetuous thing--I registered a
character on MediaMOO---I've been BORGED or is it MOOBORGED.
I even downloaded a client and have ventured into the LEGO
room, the T/R Bar, Netorician Headquarters....(all with no
one there to confront me...[still lurking a little]}

Now I'm plotting how to keep people off the phone tonight so
I can join in the Grand Opening. I feel a little like Dr
Bashir siddling up to Dax on DS9.

Even of baring my soul and lurkiness.

Mike Benedict

bene...@chapel.fcasd.edu

G3...@ttacs1.ttu.edu

Jun 22, 1993, 1:34:28 PM6/22/93
But Jim, aren't we always "assimilating" each other to some
extent through our rhetoric? We want to share our ideas
(maybe our*selves*) with others and have our ideas
(ourselves?) accepted by others. I think this is the
essence of what communication *is*.

Those of us who are excited by the MOO and go about
prosteletizing its wonders are simply sharing something
we consider special- hoping that our lsiteners/readers find it special,
too.

I think we *always* go through a kind of search for common
ground when we communicate. We want our readers/listeners
to agree with us, join our excitement, or share in our
understanding. We constantly negotiate for a consensus of
understanding...and maybe in some ways this *is*
assimilation of sorts. And as of yet, we don't know the
real intentions/motivations of the Borg- I can't see them as
quite as evil as I used to- just like Amercans don't see the
Russians as the "Evil Empire" like we were propogandized to
do during the cold war era. Ty

TyAnna Herrington Lambert
Texas Tech
g3tkl@ttacs

CWAMBEAM

Jun 22, 1993, 1:03:48 PM6/22/93
Eric Crump said:

I've been pondering this MOOpressure problem. It's similar to
a thread that appeared on CW93:forum and to Dawn Rodriguez'
presentation at Ann Arbor. Dawn, anyway, said teachers should
explore technological possibilities of all sorts and not feel
coerced to use the latest greatest Thing. She makes a good point.
Situations are too diverse to expect that any particular approach
or program will work in everywhere and at all times.

On the other hand, new things come along and it's natural to
babble on and on about their possibilities (Dawn wasn't
arguing *against* using new things, new approaches, by the way).
*******************************

In the recent rage over the new Dino-flick, _Jurassic Park_ (frivolous
aside: the book is better), I've been getting the now-infamous Jeff Goldblum
line over and over:

"Just because you could doesn't mean you should."

Of course, being the most technologically-advanced person in our English
department (I can get around in DOS) leaves me open to this comment. But,
it was scary when it came in the form of a sincere question from our new
Department Head.

"Teaching in the Computer Classroom is great, and I really like the
software and internal network. BUT, just because you can get on lists and
telnet and ftp and gopher...SHOULD YOU BE USING IT FOR THE STUDENTS OR ARE YOU
JUST USING THE FANCY *TRICKS* BECAUSE YOU CAN???

Cindy Wambeam (who couldn't think of a spiffy BORG joke but often fights against
the idea that resistance is futile)

Steven Singer

Jun 22, 1993, 2:52:09 PM6/22/93
On Mon, 21 Jun 1993, Eric Crump wrote:

> the Borg is BACK! Then it hit me: some folks perceive
> (*perceive*) MOOers as Borgs! "Resistence is futile. You
> will be assimilated."

Maybe...I can't speak for all, but for me I don't believe it's a question
of assimilation. For me it's just too klunky. For a "virtual"
environment I want to wear goggles, see people, feel things like Boopsie
going through the Home Shoppers Network. Where are the graphics, the
sounds? Am I just a product of the Nintendo generation or what? I prefer
distance gaming where I can get a more complete feel for my environment.
You know what I mean? Does anyone play these real time on-line long
distance (from one side of town to the other) games on the boards? These
have more "virtual" in them. More "interactivity!"

Of course, then again, my left thumb still twitches just thinking about
Fighter Pilot.

Aloha,
Steve

Eric Crump

Jun 22, 1993, 5:57:07 PM6/22/93
Steve,
Can you tell us how to get to some of these games you mention?

--Eric Crump

00gjs...@bsuvax1.bitnet

Jun 22, 1993, 7:31:22 PM6/22/93
Steven Singer writes in reference to MediaMOO:

>Maybe...I can't speak for all, but for me I don't believe it's a question
>of assimilation. For me it's just too klunky. For a "virtual"
>environment I want to wear goggles, see people, feel things like Boopsie
>going through the Home Shoppers Network. Where are the graphics, the
>sounds? Am I just a product of the Nintendo generation or what? I prefer
>distance gaming where I can get a more complete feel for my environment.
>You know what I mean? Does anyone play these real time on-line long
>distance (from one side of town to the other) games on the boards? These
>have more "virtual" in them. More "interactivity!"

Three quick comments on my way to tidy up the Netoric Headquarters:

1) I think a major benefit of this type of virtual reality is that it
still relies a great deal on text, on the words that many of
us have made so important in our lives. Plus it leaves more
to the imagination.

2) Despite all the fun stuff in MediaMOO, it's not a game. Sure,
there are lots of toys in there, but we are starting to use it for
far more than goofing off, but as a place to mix in a little
play with our work, not abandon the work altogether.

3) Goggles and helmets give me a doozy of a headache. I'll take the
keyboard any day.

Okay, okay, I'm going already.
_____
Greg Siering , , , , , , , , , | |
Ball State University ',|_____|
00gjs...@leo.bsuvc.bsu.edu /=====\
~~~~~~~

Steven Singer

Jun 23, 1993, 2:51:11 PM6/23/93
Greg, Mday

In reference to your reply to my comments:

> 1) I think a major benefit of this type of virtual reality is that it
> still relies a great deal on text, on the words that many of
> us have made so important in our lives. Plus it leaves more
> to the imagination.

I think the fact that there is "an" environment developing out there that
allows for this type of "text" communiction is very exciting. Don't get
me wrong. I guess I just question the use of the term "virtual." I guess
I've seen
too many scifi shows and envision something like the "holodeck" in TNG.

> 2) Despite all the fun stuff in MediaMOO, it's not a game. Sure,
> there are lots of toys in there, but we are starting to use it for
> far more than goofing off, but as a place to mix in a little
> play with our work, not abandon the work altogether.

I never said the MOO was a game. I believe I was simply referring to more
"virtual" type environments IMHO. But I detect a bit of defensiveness. I
agree that it's important to do some shMOOzing while working. However,
I'm not real sure what the correct ratio is. 1:1? 1:3? 1:10? What do
you think?

> 3) Goggles and helmets give me a doozy of a headache. I'll take the >
keyboard any day.

> Greg Siering , , , , , , , , , | |

~~~~~~~

Although I'm sure the keyboard will be here for many years to come, we are
on the verge of some very exciting developments in other types of input
technology: pen based, voice recognition, manual simulation? (gloves), and
so on. Hold on to your seats!

Respectfully,

Steve