Mainframe operating systems

Joel C. Ewing

Feb 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/19/00

ian brown wrote:
> Advance apologies if this post is irrelevant to the newsgroup.
>
> I am an MQSeries consultant looking to swot up on the mainframe versions of
> MQSeries, I have spent the best part of a day searching the web, but I
> cannot find a clear answer to my questions.
>
> I am trying to find the relationship between OS/390, MVS/ESA, VSE/ESA and
> VM/ESA. More specifically what is the difference between MQSeries for OS/390
> and MQSeries for MVS/ESA.
>
> If someone could point me in the right direction, prefrably to a nice
> colourful diagram, I would be most grateful.
> Thanks.

There are 2 major Operating System families for S/360/370/390 plus the
VM family, which I'm not sure whether to call an Operating System or a
Control Program.
VSE/ESA is the most current of the sequence of operating systems DOS
-> DOS/VS -> DOS/VSE -> VSE -> VSE/ESA.
OS/390 is the most current version in the (approximate) sequence
OS/360 -> OS/MFT -> OS/MVT -> OS/SVS -> OS/MVS -> MVS/SP -> MVS/XA ->
MVS/ESA -> OS/390.
The VSE family has been at least historically simpler, cheaper, and
designed to support smaller and less complex configurations than
OS/390. The Job Control Language and Application-to-System interfaces
are different in these two families, so object code using any system
calls, while generally upward compatible within a family, is
incompatable across the families, although applications written in a
high-level language may only require a recompile.

VM/ESA, the most current of the VM family, uses software and special
hardware assists to logically partition a physical machine into
multiple, independent virtual machines, with each of these virtual
machines capable of running an instance of an operating system from
either the OS/390 family or the VSE/ESA family, or one of a number of
applications designed specifically for the VM virtual machine
environment (or even another instance of VM). VM also supports running
individual "user" virtual machines which can be used for interactive
program/application development or running single-user applications.

MQSeries for OS/390 is just a later release of MQSeries for MVS/ESA,
renamed to be consistent with the most current Operating System of the
OS/390 family. There might be significant changes, or this name change
could have been largely cosmetic. When OS/390 Rel 1.1 was introduced
(1996), it was mostly just a repackaging of MVS/ESA Ver 5 along with a
number of other products which were commonly required to make a
functional MVS system. OS/390 has evolved since then, but is still
basically MVS/ESA with more features and a number of related products
rolled together.

--
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR jce...@acm.org

ian brown

Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
Thanks for the clear & concise reply!

"Joel C. Ewing" <jce...@acm.org> wrote in message

Metz, Seymour

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00
Not quite, even if you don't consider TPF to be major.

VM is just as much of an operating system as any of the others: it includes
CMS and GCS. The lineage is something like CP/40 -> CP/67 -> VMF/370 ->
VM/SE (SEPP) or it's little brother VM/BSE (BSEPP) -> VM/SP -> VM/SP HPO
with some divergences starting with VM/XA -> VM/XA SF -> VM/XA SP -> VM/ESA.

For VSE, you had VSE/AF and VSE/SP between DOS/VSE and VSE/ESA. I don't know
of any version that was called just VSE.

For the OS/360 family, MFT, MFT II and MVT were all sysgen options of
OS/360, not separate systems. With the advent of virtual storage, OS/360
split into an AOS1 (OS/VS1) line based on the MFT option and an AOS2
(OS?VS2) line based on the MVT option. OS/VS1 is now dead, and the OS/VS2
line ran OS/VS2 R1 (SVS) -> OS/VS2 R2 (MVS) -> MVS/SE -> MVS/SE2 -> MVS/SP
V1 -> MVS/SP V2 (MVS/XA) -> MVS/SP V3 (MVS/ESA) -> MVS/ESA -> OS/390. Keep
in mind that many of these were program products that installed on top of
the free MVS, most recently OS/VS2 3.8 with SU64, the base for MVS/SE2 and
MVS/SP. There were no versions called OS/MFT, OS/MVT, OS/SVS or OS/MVS.

I'm leaving out the role of such associated products as JES2 NJE and TSO/CP,
which have their own lineages.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00

one of the things that VM provided was clear seperation between
resource managerment (CP) and various system services (CMS) that
tended to be jumbled all together in other operating systems. As a
result, there was a constant focus on efficiency in the CP path
lengths (a focus that has not been there in other implementations).

In part it was possible for customers to constantly point out ... at
least in the guest cases, the with and w/o numbers i.e. what was the
thruput of running MVS with and w/o VM; ... when was the last time you
heard somebody complained about the benchmarked performance difference
of running a MVS application with & w/o MVS?

There has been some effort claiming the difference in thruput between
application run in VSE & MVS .. but MVS has tended to cloud the
thruput issues as having lots more function ... as opposed to any lack
of attention to thruput (although there was a situation where it was
possible to demonstrate higher VS1 thruput under VM with handshaking
than VS1 run standalone ... i.e. handshaking allowed VS1 to take
advantage of certian VM resource management facilities rather than
using its own).

Part of the thruput and pathlength focusability resulted in VM/CP
optimizations that rarely has been demonstrated by other
implementations. In part, it was also a significant factor giving rise
to LPARs (could be viewed as a microcode implementation of CP subset).

--
Anne & Lynn Wheeler | ly...@adcomsys.net, ly...@garlic.com
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/ http://www.adcomsys.net/lynn/

glen herrmannsfeldt

Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
sm...@NSF.GOV (Metz, Seymour) writes:

(snip)

> There were no versions called OS/MFT, OS/MVT, OS/SVS or OS/MVS.

While I believe that this is technically true, I do have manuals
published by IBM that mention "OS/MVT". They weren't completely
consistent on this.

-- glen

David A. Cobb

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
I would have been pretty certain myself on "OS/MFT" and "OS/MVT."

Would it not, in fact, be accurate to say that MVS is son of OS/MVT,
and VSE is son of OS/MFT? [Says he, donning his asbestos shorts]

And let us not forget LSMFT.

glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:

send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

Bob Rutledge

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
"David A. Cobb" wrote:

> I would have been pretty certain myself on "OS/MFT" and "OS/MVT."
>
> Would it not, in fact, be accurate to say that MVS is son of OS/MVT,

Grandchild would be closer.

> and VSE is son of OS/MFT?

No. Separate lineage. Essentially, OS/MFT begat OS/VS1 which ended the line.

[Says he, donning his asbestos shorts]

Whatever winds your watch.

> And let us not forget LSMFT.

Although I no longer use them, I do remember when they were .19$USD per pack and
I remember all the other things LSMFT used to mean amongst the adolescents of
the time.

<snip>

Bob

Steve Samson

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
David,

Sorry, asbestos is not politically acceptable these days, and LS Green
is...?

MVS is indeed a descendant of OS/360 MVT, but not the son--SVS was the
son. VSE is not related to OS/360 at all. It is the grandchild of
DOS/360 via DOS/VS. VS1 was the son of MFT.

Steve Samson

"David A. Cobb" wrote:

> I would have been pretty certain myself on "OS/MFT" and "OS/MVT."
>
> Would it not, in fact, be accurate to say that MVS is son of OS/MVT,

> and VSE is son of OS/MFT? [Says he, donning his asbestos shorts]

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00

MVT .... SVS ... i.e. MVT laid out in single 16mbyte "virtual address
space" doing own its paging. Initial implementation (i.e. AOS2) was
effectively MVT with some tweaks, a page fault handler and the
CCWTRANS module from the CP/67 "I" system (i.e. the internal version
of CP/67 modified to run on 370 relocate architecture instead of
360/67 relocate architecture). I seem to remember some night shift
testing in the 705(?) machine room (i may even remember some names).

MVS then lots more rewrite ... with workload spread out in multiple
address spaces. Lot of issues during the 24bit days because the kernel
residing in the same address space as the applications ... and
attempting to preserve the 8mbyte/8mbyte split getting to be real
interesting as system/kernel requirements began to exceed 8mbyte
limit.

MFT ... VS1

DOS ... DOS/VS ... DOS/VSE ... VSE

Bob Halpern

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
In the beginning:
OS was PCP (primary control program)
Then PCP or MFT I believe MFT showed up in release 5.
Then PCP or MFT II MFT II 8.
Then PCP or MVT. MVT and TSO 13.

DOS was a different system and grew from a subset of OS specification.
It continued to DOS/VS and VSE. A 3rd party product had DOS/MVT.

The next generation of OS had MFT growing into VS1. VS1 died after V7.
MVS SVS

Then SVS grew into MVS.

"David A. Cobb" wrote:

> I would have been pretty certain myself on "OS/MFT" and "OS/MVT."
>
> Would it not, in fact, be accurate to say that MVS is son of OS/MVT,
> and VSE is son of OS/MFT? [Says he, donning his asbestos shorts]
>
> And let us not forget LSMFT.
>

> glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
>
> > sm...@NSF.GOV (Metz, Seymour) writes:
> >
> > (snip)
> >
> > > There were no versions called OS/MFT, OS/MVT, OS/SVS or OS/MVS.
> >
> > While I believe that this is technically true, I do have manuals
> > published by IBM that mention "OS/MVT". They weren't completely
> > consistent on this.
> >
> > -- glen

Ken Brick

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
>>Would it not, in fact, be accurate to say that MVS is son of OS/MVT,
>>and VSE is son of OS/MFT? [Says he, donning his asbestos shorts]

No VSE is the son of DOS/VS. From memory it went DOS (to Rel. 27) then
DOS/VS, DOS/VS Advanced function, DOS/VSE and finally DOS/ESA.

Beyond the fact that they had to run on the same 360 architecture I'm
not sure how much they had in common(OS and DOS). Even the JCL was very
different .

--
Ken Brick
Brick Computer Services Ltd.

Will Scratchley

Feb 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/27/00
In article <38B83DB8...@home.com>, IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-...@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote:
>I would have been pretty certain myself on "OS/MFT" and "OS/MVT."
>
>Would it not, in fact, be accurate to say that MVS is son of OS/MVT,
>and VSE is son of OS/MFT? [Says he, donning his asbestos shorts]

OS/MVT evolved into OS/VS2 (SVS and then MVS and then OS/390)

OS/MFT evolved into OS/VS1

VSE's lineage is DOS, then DOS/VS

Will Scratchley
scr...@eclipse.net

joh...@my-deja.com

Feb 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/27/00
My grandfather told me stories about the original OS after DOS, before
even MFT and MVT. It was called PCP, the Primary Control Program and
lived a short while.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Bo Goersch

Feb 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/27/00
One more correction...

> No VSE is the son of DOS/VS. From memory it went DOS (to Rel. 27) then
> DOS/VS, DOS/VS Advanced function, DOS/VSE and finally DOS/ESA.

The finally should be VSE/ESA....they did away with DOS when they took
away the 16meg limit.

Metz, Seymour

Feb 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/27/00
No way, Jose. Over and above the fact that there was no OS/MFT or OS/MVT:

MVS was the son of OS/360 MVT; I'm not sure whether 65MP had any influence
on it. I'm not sure how much commonality there was between SVS and MVS, but
from the customer side it looked like there was a lot of overlap. Also, I
believe that some of the work on RSS/360 carried over to MVS.

VSE does not derive from any flavor of OS/360. The approximate progression
was DOS/360 -> DOS/370 -> DOS/VS -> DOS/VSE -> VSE/AF -> VSE/SP -> VSE/ESA.

The successor to OS/360 MFT II was OS/VS1, with a program product that you
could install on top of later releases of OS/VS1 (BPE?) in order to support
VCNA.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Metz, Seymour

Feb 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/27/00
OS/360 release 14 included the PCP, MFT and MVT option; MFT II was much
later (15/16?) and TSO was even later.(20.1?). Release 14 didn't even have
CRJE or ITF, much less TSO.

WAITR, please SHIFT away this PRSCB: I didn't order it!

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Bob Rutledge

Feb 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/27/00
TSS. Not enough of it! SMS could have been a lot simpler.

Bob

"Metz, Seymour" wrote:

<snip>

Also, I believe that some of the work on RSS/360 carried over to MVS.

<snip>

Metz, Seymour

Feb 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/27/00
Isn't that implicit in "Where's dynamic linking?"? And yes, it would make
our lives easier.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Metz, Seymour

Feb 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/27/00
TSS? Where's TSSS? Where's VIPAM? Where are page formatted volumes? Where is
dynamic linking? I don't know of anything in MVS that derives from TSS,
alas.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Bob Rutledge

Feb 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/27/00

"Metz, Seymour" wrote:

> TSS? Where's TSSS? Where's VIPAM? Where are page formatted volumes? Where is
> dynamic linking? I don't know of anything in MVS that derives from TSS,
> alas.
>
> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

<snip>

Doug Fuerst

Feb 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/27/00
Let's not forget CP67 now.

At 17:59 27-02-00 +0000, you wrote:
>In article <38B86018...@CPUperform.com>,

>Bob Halpern <IBM-...@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote:
>>In the beginning:
>> OS was PCP (primary control program)
>> Then PCP or MFT I believe MFT showed up in release 5.
>> Then PCP or MFT II MFT II 8.
>> Then PCP or MVT. MVT and TSO 13.
>

>That last line should be: Then PCP or MFT or MVT . . . . .
>Both PCP and MFT (more properly MFTII) continued to rel 21.
>--
>Rich Greenberg Work: Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com +1 770-563-6656
>N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA Play: richgr atsign netcom.com +1 770-321-6507
>Eastern time zone. I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67
>Canines:Val(Chinook,CGC,TT),Red(Husky,(RIP)),Shasta(Husky,TT) Owner:Chinook-L
>Atlanta Siberian Husky Rescue. Adopt a homeless Husky. Asst Owner:Sibernet-L

>send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

Doug Fuerst

Bill Lynch

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
"David A. Cobb" wrote:

> I would have been pretty certain myself on "OS/MFT" and "OS/MVT."
>
> Would it not, in fact, be accurate to say that MVS is son of OS/MVT,
> and VSE is son of OS/MFT? [Says he, donning his asbestos shorts]
>
> And let us not forget LSMFT.

Just being pedantic, I think it was: "LS/MFT". BTW, VSE is the son of
DOS.

Bill Lynch

Rich Greenberg

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
In article <4.1.200002271...@127.0.0.1>,

Doug Fuerst <IBM-...@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote:
>Let's not forget CP67 now.

Thats a whole 'nother family.

CP-40, CP-67, VM/370, VM/SP, VM/SP-HPO, VM/SF, VM/MA, VM/XA, VM/ESA.

VM/ESA is the only one that stayed around long enough to hit Version 2.
2.4.0 is the latest.

Gerard S.

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
Rich Greenberg wrote in message <89coag$c4i$1...@nntp6.atl.mindspring.net>...

Don't forget VM/370 BSEP and also VM/370 SEP

---- a VM'e since VM/370 Rel 1. ---- not too many of us old timers left, and
yes,
I used VM/MA --- found more bugs (APARed) in it than my I.Q. heh heh heh ---
now,
don't nobody call me stupid.

Gerard S.

Gerard S.

Jeffery Swagger

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
What was RSS/360?

----
Jeff

"Metz, Seymour" <sm...@NSF.GOV> wrote in message
> from the customer side it looked like there was a lot of overlap. Also, I

Metz, Seymour

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
You don't have all of the names right, and are missing a few. Off the top of
my head, VMF/370, VMF/370 with VM/SE (SEPP) or VM/BSE (BSEPP), VM/XA MA,
VM/XA SF and VM/XA SP.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Rick Fochtman

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
<snip>
"David A. Cobb" wrote:

> I would have been pretty certain myself on "OS/MFT" and "OS/MVT."
>
> Would it not, in fact, be accurate to say that MVS is son of OS/MVT,
> and VSE is son of OS/MFT? [Says he, donning his asbestos shorts]
>
> And let us not forget LSMFT.
>

> <unsnip>

I would say that MVS and VSE are descendants of MVT and MFT, but not
sons. There's a LOT of evolution between. And I smoked Luckies for 30
years!
(LSMFT = Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco)

Rick Fochtman

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
<snip>

> Let's not forget CP67 now.
>

> <unsnip>

If memory serves me, that was the "home" of the first page-formatted volumes. All
physical blocks were a single size and the system used those blocks to "simulate"
ckd devices, if anyone was foolish enough to write a program that required it.

Jeffrey Broido

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00

David,
Actually, no. VS2 R2, later called MVS can, indeed, be thought of as the
son of OS/360 MVT. But DOS/VSE is by no means the son of OS/360 MFT. It

Jeffrey Broido

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00

Jeffrey Broido

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00

Metz, Seymour

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
No, CP used page-formatted volumes for paging and SPOOL, but CMS formatted
its own minidisks; the only simulation was relocating the addresses and
checking the bounds. However, VM/SP added a shared file system, and it may
have been page formatted.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Metz, Seymour

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
Resource Security System. Basically OS/360 with a lot of integrity holes
plugged up. I vaguely recall that some of it fed into the MVS development
and that some of it fed into the RACF development, but that was in a galaxy
long ago and far away, so don't quote me on it.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

L. Patrick Allmond

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
Thanks Jeff.

David : How big was the file you tried this on the other day?

> No, CP used page-formatted volumes for paging and SPOOL, but CMS formatted
> its own minidisks; the only simulation was relocating the addresses and
> checking the bounds. However, VM/SP added a shared file system, and it may
> have been page formatted.

No, CP used page-formatted volumes for paging and SPOOL, but CMS formatted
its own minidisks; the only simulation was relocating the addresses and
checking the bounds. However, VM/SP added a shared file system, and it may
have been page formatted.

I built PAM for CMS ... paged access method originally on CP/67
... and some other virtual memory functions ... which were then ported
to VM/370 release 2 (there was a virtual memory management CSC
tech. report, describing dynamically loadable shared segments, as well
as dynamically relocatable shared segments ... aka the same shared
segment could appear at multiple different virtual addresses in
different address spaces, paged page tables, PAM, misc. other stuff).

This was deployed extensively inside IBM on release 2 base. The HONE
system (what all the branch & field people use) had a relase 2PLC15
system that was available around the world that included all the
features. Prior to the dynamically loadable shared segments ... VM/370
only supported mapping of shared segments with the simulated
IPL-by-name function. HONE was primarily delivered it service in APL
... which included a "padded-cell environment" for salesman and other
field people. To achieve performance, the APL interpreter had most of
its pages defined as a shared segment using an IPL-by-name
hack. However, there was several HONE applications written in Fortran
that required exiting from APL, executing Fortran application and
returning to APL. The HONE system built on VM/370 release 2plc15 made
extensive use of dynamically loadable shared segments for switching
back & forth between APL & fortran applications ... somewhat
transparently to the end-user.

A small subset of the dynamically loadable shared segments showed up
in VM/370 Release 3 in the guise of the LOADSYS command (the CMS
changes for putting several CMS applications in shared segment, a
subset of the CP function but w/o being able to have the same shared
segment show up as different virtual address in different address
spaces, no PAM ... and therefor no ability to specify shared segments
as part of loading a CMS executable from PAM formated disk).

The pageable page tables and some misc. other pieces (like the base
for multiprocessing infrastructure) did go out in the resource manager
later on in Vm/370 release 3.

The PAM stuff did ship somewhat in the VM release for XT/AT/370.

random refs:

http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/93.html#31
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#3
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/97.html#4
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/98.html#23
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#38
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#149
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000.html#5

--
Anne & Lynn Wheeler | ly...@adcomsys.net, ly...@garlic.com
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/ http://www.adcomsys.net/lynn/

Jeffrey Broido

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00

John Buckley

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
Bob Rutledge wrote:

> No. Separate lineage. Essentially, OS/MFT begat OS/VS1 which ended the line.

This is one of two posts that states that OS/VS1 was the end a lineage. But isn't
there a relationship between OS/VS1 and JES?

jr

jbuckley.vcf

Doug Fuerst

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
HASP (Houston Automatic Spooling Program) is the predecessor to JES2 as ASP
(Automatic or Asynchronous depending on who you talked to Spooling program)
was the predecessor to JES3. And yes you still find HASP references in the
JES2 code.

Doug Fuerst

Bruce Black

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
Yes, there was a spool component called JES on VS1 but I don't believe it had
any direct lineage to JES2/JES3.

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for

Metz, Seymour

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
Cloose: the P is Priority.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Metz, Seymour

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
OS/VS1 had a job entry subsystem, but that JES was not an ancestor to either
JES2 or JES3.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Hall, Ken , ECSS

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
Since we're on this topic, the guys working on the "Hercules" S/360/370/390
emulator are having quite a bit of fun playing with OS/360 MFT and MVT.
Seymour, you should get involved. I'm sure you'd be a great source of help
to them.

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00

I'm not sure who wrote the job entry subsystem for vs1 ....

but I first saw HASP at mft OS/11 (houston spooler out of SEs at nasa
houston). it continued thru mft & mvt. Along the way it became an
official product, the group moved to g'burg and renamed JES2.

There was also "ASP", done by SEs out of lockheed ... which eventually
was also picked up by the g'burg group, became a product and renamed
JES3. My wife was in the g'burg group at the time and she got to be
one of the ASP catchers ... starting out reading the ASP listings and
generating a PLM.

random references

http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/93.html#2
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/93.html#15
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/94.html#2
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/94.html#18
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/98.html#35a
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#33
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#58
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#77
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#92
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#93
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#94
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#111
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#117
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#212
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000.html#13

George Shedlock Jr

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
No, actually on VS1 it was called RES.

Bruce Black <bbl...@FDRINNOVATION.COM> on 02/28/2000 12:35:10 PM

Please respond to IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-...@BAMA.UA.EDU>

To: IBM-...@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc: (bcc: George Shedlock/Corp/Chep USA)

John Buckley wrote:

> Bob Rutledge wrote:
>

> > No. Separate lineage. Essentially, OS/MFT begat OS/VS1 which ended the line.
> >

> This is one of two posts that states that OS/VS1 was the end a lineage. But
isn't
> there a relationship between OS/VS1 and JES?
>

> jr

Metz, Seymour

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
No, remote entry services was the replacement for RJE, and it used the
services of JES.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Norman Hollander

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
I think you are missing some of the players:

OS/VS1 (son of MFT)
SVS (short-lived son of VS1 crossbread with MVT to sort of create
MVS)

I thought DOS was a hardware emulated/software simulated thing than ran
under VS1
to provide 1401 emulation and simulation (emulated on 360s, simulated on
370/158s up
to 3033s)... Then RPG was discovered to work on the native platforms
without any
emu/simulation. (Aren't we still running autocoder, today?? <smile>)

Jeffrey Broido

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00

John Buckley

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
Bruce Black wrote:

> Yes, there was a spool component called JES on VS1 but I don't believe it had
> any direct lineage to JES2/JES3.
>
> John Buckley wrote:
> >
> > Bob Rutledge wrote:
> >

> > > No. Separate lineage. Essentially, OS/MFT begat OS/VS1 which ended the line.
> > >

> > This is one of two posts that states that OS/VS1 was the end a lineage. But isn't
> > there a relationship between OS/VS1 and JES?
> >
> > jr
>

> --
> Bruce A. Black
> Senior Software Developer for
> FDR, CPK, ABR, SOS, UPSTREAM, FATS/FATAR
> Innovation Data Processing
> Little Falls, NJ 07424
> 973-890-7300
> personal: bbl...@fdrinnovation.com
> sales info: sa...@fdrinnovation.com
> tech support: sup...@fdrinnovation.com

> send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

Back in the early 80's I was a computer operator running IMS in a guest OS/VS1 system
under VM/SP. When I got my first look at JES2, it's similarity (from an operator's
point of view) to OS/VS1 suggested to me that JES2 was in some way descended from
OS/VS1.

Well, I've been wrong before..................

jr

jbuckley.vcf

Metz, Seymour

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
No, SVS was a son of OS/360 MVT, although there was a great deal of
coordination between the AOS1 and AOS2 developers. DOS was an unrelated
system.

On the original S/360 1401 emulation was a feature of the low-end models and
the emulator programs were stand alone. Compatibility Operating System (COS)
was a kludge that allowed you to run 1401 emulation under DOS/360 on a model
40 or 50. Starting with the 360/85, IBM fixed the emulation features so that
you could run the emulation programs safely under an operating system, e.g.,
OS/360. Shortly afterwards IBM supplied a version of the 1401/1410 emulation
program that was capable of running on a machine without the 1401/1410
emulator feature, although it was faster with the feature.

You may also be thinking of the "DOS Emulation Feature", which provided
block relocation in order to run DOS/360 programs under OS/360.

"AUTOCODER? We don't need no stinking AUTOCODER! Real programmers use SPS!"

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Norman Hollander

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
That would be the equivalent of JES1- not to be confused
with JES2 (HASP) or JES3 (ASP). Although there was a FDP
for VS/1 that looked like HASP for VS/1 and RES.

Edward Jaffe

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
Doug Fuerst wrote:

> HASP (Houston Automatic Spooling Program) is the predecessor to JES2 as ASP
> (Automatic or Asynchronous depending on who you talked to Spooling program)
> was the predecessor to JES3. And yes you still find HASP references in the
> JES2 code.

References? How about the fact that all of the JES2 messages still start
with HASP?

--
| Edward E. Jaffe | Voice: (310) 338-0400 x318 |
| Mgr., Research & Development | Fax: (310) 338-0801 |

Bob Halpern

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
The (I think I remember) University of Kentucky had HASP for VS1. Then
Nancy Melanos (?sp) put HASP shared spool under VS1. It was real HASP.

Metz, Seymour

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
Nope, Attached Support Processor.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Kalinich, John

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
I once heard an IBMer refer to HASP as "Half an ASP" instead of the Houston
name.

> HASP (Houston Automatic Spooling Program) is the predecessor to JES2

Thomas Bird

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
MFT only supported a fixed number of tasks in only one real address space
(hence the F). MVT supported a variable number of tasks in only one real
address space (hence the V). SVS supported a variable number of tasks in a
single virtual address space. MVS supported a variable number of tasks in
a multiple number of virtual address spaces.

PCP--->MFT--->MFT II
--->MVT--->SVS--->MVS

Regards,

T. Bird
President
TJB Ventures, Inc.
Voice: (707) 226-1100
Fax: (707) 226-1188
Email: tb...@tjbventures.com
Web: http://www.tjbventures.com

Thomas Bird

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
MFT only supported a fixed number of tasks in only one real address space
(hence the F). MVT supported a variable number of tasks in only one real
address space (hence the V). VS1 supported a fixed number of tasks in only
one virtual address space. SVS supported a variable number of tasks in a

single virtual address space. MVS supported a variable number of tasks in
a multiple number of virtual address spaces.

OS/370 PCP--->OS360 MFT--->OS360 MFT II--->OS/VS VS1
--->OS/360
MVT--->OS/VS VS2 SVS--->OS/VS VS2 MVS

Metz, Seymour

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
However, the chronology is off; the MVT option was available for a long time
before MFT II; in fact, a good deal of MVT code found its way into MFT II
and even PCP.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Doug Fuerst

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
That's a new one for me, no one I ever talked to ever referred to it as that.

At 14:42 28-02-00 -0500, you wrote:
>Nope, Attached Support Processor.

>Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Thomas Bird

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
HASP=Houston Automatic Spooling Priority (Claim to fame is spooling and
stingy on cycles.)
ASP=Attached Support Processor (Claim to fame is driving more than one
processor from a single spool using CTCs and also scheduling I/O devices.)

Regards,

T. Bird
President
TJB Ventures, Inc.
Voice: (707) 226-1100
Fax: (707) 226-1188
Email: tb...@tjbventures.com
Web: http://www.tjbventures.com

|--------+----------------------------->
| | Edward Jaffe |
| | <edjaffe@PHOENIXSOF|
| | TWARE.COM> |
| | |
| | 02/28/00 11:12 AM |

| | Please respond to |
| | IBM Mainframe |
| | Discussion List |
| | |

|--------+----------------------------->
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
| |
| To: IBM-...@BAMA.UA.EDU |
| cc: (bcc: Thomas J Bird/IDI) |

Doug Fuerst wrote:

> HASP (Houston Automatic Spooling Program) is the predecessor to JES2 as

ASP
> (Automatic or Asynchronous depending on who you talked to Spooling
program)

> was the predecessor to JES3. And yes you still find HASP references in
the
> JES2 code.
References? How about the fact that all of the JES2 messages still start
with HASP?
--
| Edward E. Jaffe | Voice: (310) 338-0400 x318 |
| Mgr., Research & Development | Fax: (310) 338-0801 |
| Phoenix Software International | edj...@phoenixsoftware.com |
| 5200 W. Century Blvd., Suite 800 | USS24J24 at IBMMAIL |
| Los Angeles, CA 90045 | http://www.phoenixsoftware.com |

Thomas Bird

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
HASP - Priority, priority, not Program.

ASP's goal was to drive several machines, each with their own OS image, off
one input work stream and sharing devices among them (tape drives, etc.).
This became "loosely coupled" when 370 came along as opposed to "tightly
coupled" with one OS image like 360/65.

Regards,

T. Bird
President
TJB Ventures, Inc.
Voice: (707) 226-1100
Fax: (707) 226-1188
Email: tb...@tjbventures.com
Web: http://www.tjbventures.com

|--------+------------------------------------>
| | "Kalinich, John" |
| | <kalinichj@ST-LOUIS-EXCH01|
| | .ARMY.MIL> |
| | |
| | 02/28/00 11:48 AM |

| | Please respond to IBM |
| | Mainframe Discussion List |
| | |
|--------+------------------------------------>
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
| |
| To: IBM-...@BAMA.UA.EDU |
| cc: (bcc: Thomas J Bird/IDI) |
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

I once heard an IBMer refer to HASP as "Half an ASP" instead of the Houston
name.

> HASP (Houston Automatic Spooling Program) is the predecessor to JES2

Thomas Bird

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
Yup, I agree. The graphic did not transmit well. MVT preceded MFT II
before SMTP had its way with my e-mail.

Regards,

T. Bird
President
TJB Ventures, Inc.
Voice: (707) 226-1100
Fax: (707) 226-1188
Email: tb...@tjbventures.com
Web: http://www.tjbventures.com

|--------+----------------------->
| | "Metz, |
| | Seymour" |
| | <sm...@NSF.GO|
| | V> |
| | |
| | 02/28/00 |
| | 01:04 PM |

| | Please |
| | respond to |
| | IBM Mainframe|
| | Discussion |
| | List |
| | |
|--------+----------------------->

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
| |
| To: IBM-...@BAMA.UA.EDU |
| cc: (bcc: Thomas J Bird/IDI) |
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

However, the chronology is off; the MVT option was available for a long

time
before MFT II; in fact, a good deal of MVT code found its way into MFT II
and even PCP.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Metz, Seymour

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
Ah, that's because they got the name second or third hand, from people who
were guessing. I've still got some of the manuals.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Bob Halpern

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
The ASP group was the same IBM development team that made the Direct
Couple into a commercial product. Direct Couple was an attached support
processor. This was the IBM Los Angeles Scientific Center staff based in
the Kirkiby Building in Westwood and at the UCLA Western Data Processing
Center (WDPC). WDPC was also the UCLA home of ARPAnet, but by UCLA staff.
The Direct Couple project also had UCLA staff (like me) on it. We got to
program some unusual systems, including some IBM stuff that never saw the
light of day. WDCOM was a communication system that serviced universities
all over the western United States into the Direct Couple system. It
supported some interactive products (e.g. 1050) and STR batch devices
like 7701, 7702, 1974, etc. I programmed the communicatins for the 7740
front end, which was the precusros to the 2701, 2702, and 2703 on the 360.

Direct Couple came from Simpson & Crabtree at the IBM Houston Site, where
they next did HASP. The ASP group also defined a single machine ASP,
called LASP, for Local ASP.

ASP became JES3, and moved to the Federal Systems Building in Westlake
CA before it went back east to be under Crabtree, along with JES2. The
last continuos employee in the west was Art Walters, who then moved to
the Santa Teresa labs. I lost track of him there.

Doug Fuerst wrote:

> That's a new one for me, no one I ever talked to ever referred to it as that.
>

> At 14:42 28-02-00 -0500, you wrote:
> >Nope, Attached Support Processor.
> >

> >Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Doug Fuerst

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
And I only knew of one place using it, that was NOAA in Suitland MD. they
had 3 370/195's in their ASP complex.

At 16:10 28-02-00 -0500, you wrote:
>Ah, that's because they got the name second or third hand, from people who
>were guessing. I've still got some of the manuals.
>

>Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00

oops, somehow I was under the impression that the ASP involved
Lockheed SEs. I believe Rick Haeckel also transferred out of the ASP
group to STL.

B...@CPUPERFORM.COM (Bob Halpern) writes:
> The ASP group was the same IBM development team that made the Direct
> Couple into a commercial product. Direct Couple was an attached support
> processor. This was the IBM Los Angeles Scientific Center staff based in
> the Kirkiby Building in Westwood and at the UCLA Western Data Processing
> Center (WDPC). WDPC was also the UCLA home of ARPAnet, but by UCLA staff.
> The Direct Couple project also had UCLA staff (like me) on it. We got to
> program some unusual systems, including some IBM stuff that never saw the
> light of day. WDCOM was a communication system that serviced universities
> all over the western United States into the Direct Couple system. It
> supported some interactive products (e.g. 1050) and STR batch devices
> like 7701, 7702, 1974, etc. I programmed the communicatins for the 7740
> front end, which was the precusros to the 2701, 2702, and 2703 on the 360.

David A. Cobb

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
> Although I no longer use them, I do remember when they were .19$USD per pack and
> I remember all the other things LSMFT used to mean amongst the adolescents of
> the time.

[DEEP SIGH] Yeah, me too.

Graeme Gibson

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Re: ASP. "Attached" sounds right to me, wasn't the original concept to
have a small processor doing card/print spooling to support a
heavyweight processor doing the data crunching? Wasn't this also done
earlier on using 1401/70xx?

Regards,
Graeme

Doug Fuerst wrote:

> That's a new one for me, no one I ever talked to ever referred to it as that.
>

> >Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
>
> >Nope, Attached Support Processor.

Bob Halpern

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
The original idea was to have a shared file (1301) system between a 1400
and a 7000 series system. Some modeling studies by a very sharp IBM lady
(Jobi Citroen ?sp) showed it was too slow. So the sites that had already
bought the 1400 support system got cheap trade ins for a 7000 (e.g. 7044)
support processor for direct couple.

To give you an idea of why the original idea was too slow, the 1301 had
a 500 lb head assembly and a glob adder to move the correct amount of
hydrolics into the head actuator. That is why direct couple became a
product. And that group built ASP.

Joe Morris

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Anne & Lynn Wheeler <ly...@adcomsys.net> writes:

>There was also "ASP", done by SEs out of lockheed ... which eventually
>was also picked up by the g'burg group, became a product and renamed
>JES3. My wife was in the g'burg group at the time and she got to be
>one of the ASP catchers ... starting out reading the ASP listings and
>generating a PLM.

H'mmm ... HASP started life outside NASA as a Type-3 program (i.e.,
written by one or more IBM employees but not a supported IBM product)
but was ASP ever distributed by IBM as anything other than an official
Type-1 offering? (My experience was exclusively on the HASP side
of the house, where we had (1) full source distribution, (2) quick
support for new OS/360 releases, and (3) much better songs at SHARE.)

Besides, as a Type-3 program the support team could be assured of
getting a laugh at presentations by showing a vugraph of its official
vehicle: the Volkswagen "Type 3".

HASP-y days are here a-gain,
Fixed core is at an all-time min,
To run without it is a sin,
HASP-y days are here a-gain!

Joe Morris

LeeWarriner

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
For a short history of DCS to ASP to JES3 given at SHARE 93 in Chicago
go to http://www.share.org/proceedings/sh93/shares99.html and look at
session 2728 under the JES3 project.

This traces "JES3 History" From to 1959 current. You even get a short
history of how this session came about. It was first given in 1989 at
SHARE.

Lee

Author: owner-i...@bama.ua.edu at SMTP
Date: 02/29/2000 3:01 AM

Hall, Ken , ECSS

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
CUNY ran ASP in 1973, and I'm almost certain the 'A' in ASP stood for
"Asymmetric".

Something like "Asymmetric Spool Processor", or similar. I never understood
why it was called that until I got here and found out how JES3 works, with
the GLOBAL/LOCAL concept.

There WAS an "Attached Processor", but it was a hardware upgrade to the
3031/3033 and other boxes. An extra CPU that had no channels.

Metz, Seymour

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Well, I know that there is at least one person on this list who used it and,
AFAIK, he never worked at Suitland. The only connection were that there is a
lot of energy in the weather and that the wind blows a lot of particles
around.

"We're all Bosons on this bus." FT

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Metz, Seymour

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Before ASP there was DCS, but that was a 7040-7090 or 7044-7094 pair; I
never heard of a port of DCS to a 1410, and a 1401 would have been out of
the question. Perhaps you're thinking of the common use of a 1401 as an
offline card/tape, tape/card and tape/printer machine for, e.g., 7070, 7080,
7090.

Anyone remember the origin of the word SPOOL?

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Jay Maynard

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
On 29 Feb 2000 13:48:54 GMT, Joe Morris <jcmo...@jmorris-pc.MITRE.ORG> wrote:
> HASP-y days are here a-gain,
> Fixed core is at an all-time min,
> To run without it is a sin,
> HASP-y days are here a-gain!

Allow me to beg, on behalf of the folks using MVT on their Linux systems
with the Hercules emulator, for a clean, installable copy of HASP...I'll
give the first one to come up with one a case of his or her favorite beer.
(Or equivalent.)
Think we're nuts? Check out http://www.snipix.freeserve.co.uk/hercules.htm
and http://jmaynard.home.texas.net/hercos360 .

Barry Finkel

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
> Nope, Attached Support Processor.

That was its original name. IBM later changed its name to
Asymmetric Multiprocessor System (IIRC)
[ASymmetric multiProcessor system] The acronym sort-of fit.

> And I only knew of one place using it, that was NOAA in Suitland MD. they
> had 3 370/195's in their ASP complex.

We had 2 3033's and a 370/195 in our final ASP configuration before we
migrated to MVS.

--Barry Finkel

Hall, Ken , ECSS

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Ahhh... Now I see where I got it from.

I looked at the SHARE presentation mentioned in an earlier post, and it's
called "Attached Support Processor" in there. No mention of the version I
heard back in '73.

Glad to see my memory hasn't COMPLETELY gone...

Metz, Seymour

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Are you a betting man? ;-) There's neither an "asymemetric" nor a "Spool"
(sic) in the name. How much is it worth to you to make me drag out the
manuals?

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Metz, Seymour

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Yes, but that wasn't the origin; it's older than the 1401. The term was used
on the 709; I don't recall whether it was used on the 7030 ("Stretch").

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Dave Cartwright

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00

>Anyone remember the origin of the word SPOOL?
>
>Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

As I recall on the 1410 it was Simultaneous Peripheral Operation On Line

DC

soley those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of
AGCO Limited.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received
this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please forward it to
postm...@uk.agcocorp.com

Hall, Ken , ECSS

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
The only word I'm even marginally sure of is "Asymmetric", and that came
from doc that CUNY sent around to the schools. Given that half the time
even different people within IBM aren't sure what the acronyms really mean,
I wouldn't stake my life on their being correct.

LeeWarriner

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
We ran an ASP triplex before moving to JES3. I don't remember what our hardware
was the configuration at that time.

Lee

> And I only knew of one place using it, that was NOAA in Suitland MD. they
> had 3 370/195's in their ASP complex.

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00

KeH...@EXCHANGE.ML.COM (Hall, Ken , ECSS) writes:

> CUNY ran ASP in 1973, and I'm almost certain the 'A' in ASP stood for
> "Asymmetric".
>
> Something like "Asymmetric Spool Processor", or similar. I never understood
> why it was called that until I got here and found out how JES3 works, with
> the GLOBAL/LOCAL concept.
>
> There WAS an "Attached Processor", but it was a hardware upgrade to the
> 3031/3033 and other boxes. An extra CPU that had no channels.

IBM attached processors showed up with 158s & 168s ... two processor
shared-memory configurations with one of the processors not having any
channels/IO.

303x were repackaged 370s with channel director in place of
channels. channel director was a stripped down 158 processor with the
370 microcode replaced with the channel director microcode & supported
six channels.

3031 was 158 with a channel director (3031ap ... could be 3-5 158
processors, two 158 processors with 370 microcode, & one of the "370s"
connected to channel director(s) ... aka a 158 running channel
director code).

3032 was 168 with a channel director.

3033 was in some sense the 168 logic mapped to newer & faster
technology.

a sixteen channel configuration had three channel directors.

then there was 3081 with a pair of processors sharing a channel
subsystem.

random references:

http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/93.html#14
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#3
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#7

there are descriptions about tightly-coupled, symmetric
multiprocessing (all the processors in shared-memory configuration
having the same capabilities) and tightly-coupled, asymmetric
multiprocessing (not all the processors in shared-memory configuration
having the same configuration. AP (attached processor) configurations
would be an example of tightly-coupled asymmetric multiprocessing.

Then there is loosely-coupled multiprocessing (processors operating in
concert w/o sharing memory) but sharing various kinds of I/O. These
days these kinds of configurations are also talked about as
"clusters".

However, there are also the genre of "shared-nothing" clusters
... machines operating in concert but only coordinated to the extent
of communication and various forms of message passing.

random references:

http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/94.html#7
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/96.html#15
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/97.html#14
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#71

Bob Halpern

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
There was no port. The original idea from IBM was to have a 1301 disk
shared between a 1410 and a 7094 (that was what was installed at WDPC for
the implementation). When it was not going to work out, the Simpson/
Crabtree Direct Couple done at Houston was brought to WDPC to implement
the Direct Couple Product. An IBM CE, Dave Bottles, came up with an idea
and modified the hardware for a direct interrups and IBSYS was modified
to support it.

The combinations were the 7040 or 7044 as the support machine and the
7090 and all combinations of the models of the 7094 as the processing
system.

SPOOL is Simultaneous Peripheral Operations On Line.

"Metz, Seymour" wrote:

> Before ASP there was DCS, but that was a 7040-7090 or 7044-7094 pair; I
> never heard of a port of DCS to a 1410, and a 1401 would have been out of
> the question. Perhaps you're thinking of the common use of a 1401 as an
> offline card/tape, tape/card and tape/printer machine for, e.g., 7070, 7080,
> 7090.
>

> Anyone remember the origin of the word SPOOL?
>

> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Metz, Seymour

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Of course, but where was the term first used? I don't know of anything
earlier than the 709, but the 7030 seems like a plausible candidate.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Charles F Hankel

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
I noticed that Joe Morris as jcmo...@jmorris-pc.MITRE.ORG said...

> Anne & Lynn Wheeler <ly...@adcomsys.net> writes:
>
> Besides, as a Type-3 program the support team could be assured of
> getting a laugh at presentations by showing a vugraph of its official
> vehicle: the Volkswagen "Type 3".
>
> HASP-y days are here a-gain,
> Fixed core is at an all-time min,
> To run without it is a sin,
> HASP-y days are here a-gain!

And here am I stuck with the Ian Dury classic:

Hex and bugs and job control
Are all my brain and body need.
Hex and bugs and job control
Are very good indeed.

--
Charles F Hankel

It's only net news but I like it.

Bob Halpern

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
I do remember it (SPOOL) from the NCR 304, and that was prior to 1960
and predates the 1401.

Metz, Seymour

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Wasn't the 709 earlier than either?

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Bob Halpern

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Yes. So I just sent the question to a friend involved with new computer
museum being built in northern california. See if he has any input. We
both worked on the SWAC in the late 1950's, before the 709 (around the
650). Maybe he, or one of his contacts has a "historical moment".

I also remember the term in referencing the replacement of the offline
card to tape and tape to print and tape to card machines. But the time
around then was the 1401 doing the dirty work.

Klaus Dahlenburg

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00

"Metz, Seymour" wrote:

> OS/VS1 had a job entry subsystem, but that JES was not an ancestor to either
> JES2 or JES3.

I think it was called HASP --> Huston Asynchronous Spool Monitor. At least
we used to call it that way and we ran it on our OS/VS1 R4 in 1975 as far as
I can recall it correct.

Klaus Dahlenburg

Metz, Seymour

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
SWAC? Now I don't feel so old; there's someone who worked on a machine that
was before my time ;-)

My recollection is that it was the 1401 that killed interest in SPOOL on the
707x and 709x lines; the unit record equipment on the big iron was truly
archaic, so the 1402 and 1403 looked like big steps up from the equipment
supported by SPOOL.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Bob Halpern

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
NO! SPOOL is online. The unit record gear was offline with tapes being
carried to the 70xx machines. Shared file was to be SPOOL, but did not
work out, so Direct Couple came on the scene. In many shops that decided
not to use an attached system, 1401 with unit record gear replaced the old
"stuff".

Where Direct Couple was turned into a commercial product, we also had
a 1410 doing computer assisted instruction. The 1050 terminals came into a
7740 front end which could switch them between the 1410 and a 7044 DCS
front end. The batch devices were all STR format (e.g. 7702) and went
only into DCS. This all predated the 360.

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00

sm...@NSF.GOV (Metz, Seymour) writes:

> SWAC? Now I don't feel so old; there's someone who worked on a machine that
> was before my time ;-)
>
> My recollection is that it was the 1401 that killed interest in SPOOL on the
> 707x and 709x lines; the unit record equipment on the big iron was truly
> archaic, so the 1402 and 1403 looked like big steps up from the equipment
> supported by SPOOL.

like 1401N1 printer & 2540 card reader punch

my first programming job in school was porting something called MPIO
from 1401 to 360/30. The university had 709 with 1401 front-end
handling unit record. Tapes were moved back & forth between 709 tape
drives and 1401 tape drives. The 30 could be used in 1401 hardware
emulation mode ... but the university paid me to re-implement all the
function running as 370 program. It still had to accept handle 709 bcd
& 709 binary. bcd was subset of 360 ... but 709 binary cards used all
twelve punch rows. Had to play games with read-no-feed & if got an
error reading the card ... reread it with "column binary" ... which
mapped 80 column card into 160 byte positions.

random references:

http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/93.html#15
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/94.html#53
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#4
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/96.html#21
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/97.html#21
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/98.html#9
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#13
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#59
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#93
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#130

Metz, Seymour

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
No, HASP was much older than than OS/VS1 and didn't come with it. What you
saw was a refit of HASP II (presumably 4.1) to run under OS/VS1.

BTW, it's Houston Automatic Spooling Priority.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Imbriale, Donald , Exchange

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Hasn't this horse been beaten enough?

Hall, Ken , ECSS

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Yep. The first time I saw it was in High School in 1972. Brooklyn College
ran it on their 360/50. My school had a 2770 RJE station to BC.

Prior to that we had some other kind of station that talked to something
called CRBE-20.

I bumped into HASP again as an operator in 1973, on a 370/155. When I
started, we were running "raw" MFT, with manually started readers, writers,
etc. HASP went in about 2 weeks before I left, and was a big improvement,
except tasks we USED to be able to start from the console had to be read in
from cards for some reason. There was also another problem that didn't get
resolved while I was there, where HASP would think a job was running on a
system, when in fact it was not, and would report over and over that it had
exceeded it's allowed time. Very weird.

The operators loved it though, because you could reprint a job that the
printer had screwed up as long as you caught it before it finished printing.

Steve Myers

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Hah!

Try doing that on a 2501!

I got involved in the use of mark sense cards. The only way to read those
suckers was on a 2501. in binary. Naturally, they had to co-exist with
regular cards.

We got a HASP mod from someone -- can't remember who -- to do a binary to
EBCDIC translation, or a mark sense translation, if that was required.

The whole mark sense thing was such a disaster I don't think it ever
actually got implemented.

One of my first /360 programs was to read a 7040 output tape --
fortunately, not a mixed mode tape -- and write the print data on the tape.
The first version of the program crashed a Rel 13 (I think) MFT system.
The second version worked OK.

-- Steve Myers

Jim Harrison

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
You obviously haven't been around this group very long. Because of our
advancing age (oops, pretend I didn't say that word - might start another
recurring thread) and resultant loss of memory, this thread periodically
reappears every year or two. And nearly word for word at that! <g>

At 03:55 PM 2/29/00 -0500, Imbriale, Donald (Exchange) wrote:

>Hasn't this horse been beaten enough?

Graeme Gibson

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
In my datacenter, in the late '60s, as work progressively switched to
S/360, the two 1401s were often idle. I wrote a little machine code
1401 program to read and print report files written to tape on DOS or
OS/360, interpreting the machine or ASA carriage control. We used this
especially for large reports, it helped get stuff out the door quicker
as printing was often a bottleneck. I can remember some reports that
took days to print. And for special print runs like stock certificates
and cheques or when printing on 3, 4 or 5 part 15x11, the old 1403s gave
better print quality because they moved the paper more slowly and you
didn't get as much smudging. Who loved the smell of the carbon paper in
fresh multi-part?

regards,
Graeme.

"Metz, Seymour" wrote:
<snips>

> My recollection is that it was the 1401 that killed interest in SPOOL on the
> 707x and 709x lines; the unit record equipment on the big iron was truly
> archaic, so the 1402 and 1403 looked like big steps up from the equipment
> supported by SPOOL.

Steve Samson

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
... and for the young 'uns it's a chance to review history without
having to live through it...

Jim Harrison wrote:

> You obviously haven't been around this group very long. Because of our
> advancing age (oops, pretend I didn't say that word - might start another
> recurring thread) and resultant loss of memory, this thread periodically
> reappears every year or two. And nearly word for word at that! <g>
>
> At 03:55 PM 2/29/00 -0500, Imbriale, Donald (Exchange) wrote:
>
> >Hasn't this horse been beaten enough?

Jon Tveten

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
In article <0D93FE5CA0BED11194CB...@nsfmail01.nsf.gov>,
sm...@NSF.GOV says...

> No, HASP was much older than than OS/VS1 and didn't come with it. What you
> saw was a refit of HASP II (presumably 4.1) to run under OS/VS1.

We used HASP II with OS/MFT II in 1970-71 and our operators was not happy
with JES when we changed over to OS/VS1, especially the handling of
sysout queues.

Jon Tveten.

It is loading more messages.