Comments on ASL Interpreter Position Description

1 view

jim bishop

Sep 14, 1994, 1:19:42 PM9/14/94
>Jean Boutcher and Paula Tucker wrote:

> Paula Tucker writes in response to my (Jean Boutcher's) note:
> These are very interesting comments from Jean Boutcher. Now, as an RID >
certified interpreter, I'd like to comment on her comments...

Omer wrote:

>Very good and constructive discussion indeed! Desirable output of the
>discussion:
>1. Guidelines for the interpreters.
>2. List of options that the Deaf customer needs to decide upon and inform
>the interpreter.
>--- Omer

In reply, may I suggest this as a starting point?

I'm Jim Bishop, Section Chief (first line manager working with 8
hearies subordinates and hearing bosses and I'm deaf and Deaf) working at
the Federal government. I am developing a position description (PD) of an
ASL interpreter and hope to hire a full-time terp for myself within 2-3
months.

Your comments or suggestions on the development of the position
description would be appreciated. Cautions or characteristics to look for
are welcome. After a few comments and if the TERPS-L or DEAF-L members are
interested, I'll send segments of the PD draft that I have for your review
and comments. I hope to incorporate your suggestions and come up with a
good and strong description of the ASL position.

What I am looking for is a full-time ASL interpreter who would be
a government employee to interpret all conversations, conferences,
staff meetings, briefings, employee counseling and guidances, to relay
phone calls (simulanteously), to conduct research and development of
new management and executive signs, to review correspondences and
reports developed by me for accurate grammar, and appropriate tone and
style, to advocate deaf employees advancing toward higher positions,
to provide cultural information and references, etc. What I'm
concerned here is to make use of terp's idle time during my paperwork,
administrative task, absences/leave, etc. My boss wants to include
additional responsibility such as program or management analysis. I
have repeatedly and adamantly opposed this additional work
responsibility. (The problem is that the management has not yet
recognized the professional position of an ASL interpreter.) So, I am
soliciting your comments and suggestions to fill in the gap.

Also, I'll have a small vcr camera (ViewCam) recording terps' signs so
that I could take notes from the meeting and it would be for my use only.
Would there be a problem using the vcr camera?

Please share your comments with the TERPS-L or DEAF-L members or you
can direct your messages to me. I would like to hear a discussion on this
network. Your understanding and support will be very appreciated. Thank
you!

Jim Bishop Section Chief (first line Federal manager)
jim_b...@tecnet.is.irs.gov

Tom Lyczko

Sep 15, 1994, 3:16:55 PM9/15/94
removed a lot of stuff...

On Wed, 14 Sep 1994, jim bishop wrote:

> What I am looking for is a full-time ASL interpreter who would be
> a government employee to interpret all conversations, conferences,
> staff meetings, briefings, employee counseling and guidances, to relay
> phone calls (simulanteously), to conduct research and development of
> new management and executive signs, to review correspondences and
> reports developed by me for accurate grammar, and appropriate tone and
> style, to advocate deaf employees advancing toward higher positions,
> to provide cultural information and references, etc. What I'm
> concerned here is to make use of terp's idle time during my paperwork,
> administrative task, absences/leave, etc. My boss wants to include
> additional responsibility such as program or management analysis. I
> have repeatedly and adamantly opposed this additional work
> responsibility. (The problem is that the management has not yet
> recognized the professional position of an ASL interpreter.) So, I am
> soliciting your comments and suggestions to fill in the gap.

more stuff deleted...

I don't think it's at all appropriate to hire a terp to review your
correspondences, reports, grammar, tone, style, etc. It is completely
YOUR responsibility to perform effective written communication tasks.

As far as the terp's idle time, I see no reason at all to have the terp
do other work in the meantime, with the understanding that the terp can
drop or reschedule this work at a moment's notice. Why should I pay a
terp to sit around?? Many terps use this excuse of being a professional
to do nothing sometimes while deaf people are busy and their hearing
employees are footing the bill; I call this exploitation. You yourself
want the terp to do research, development, advocacy, and cultural
mediation! How hypocritical to say that the terp can't do other work
during your idle time.

A different title and position to consider would be Sociolinguistic
Mediator (Interpreter). This encompasses the tasks that you want performed
and does not require the interpreter to be your proofreader, something I
would object to if I were they. Furthermore, this title/position should
be developed such that it can become relatively standardized throughout
the federal gov't setup, thus not requiring all deaf gov't staff to
reinvent the wheel, but to simply add on or take off components to a
relatively standard job description.

Have fun! :) tom

WANTED: *BEAR* HUGS! FLOWERS! E-MAIL! tjly...@mailbox.syr.edu