prognosis for aspies

Scott Caldwell

Oct 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/26/95
Can anyone tell me what life is like for an adult with aspergers?
What kinds of therapies, etc. seem to work best? My son was diagnosed
last week and when I asked the doctor for more information he gave me a
photocopied page from the DSM-IV. I have to learn more but the local
bookstore has nothing. Are there any organizations which might have
information or research data?
Cathy in GA

Gavin Simpson

Oct 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/26/95
On another list (our kids), Asperger Syndrome was discussed and a more "down to
earth" commentary was given by a professional. Regards, Wendel

From DSM IV (p77):

DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA FOR 299.80 ASPERGER'S DISORDER

A. Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by
at least two of the following:

(1) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors
such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and
gestures to regulate social interaction

(2) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to
developmental level

(3) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or
achievements with other people (e.g. by a lack of showing,
bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)

(4) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

B. Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior,
interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the
following:

(1) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and
restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in
intensity or focus

(2) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional
routines or rituals

(3) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or
finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)

(4) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

C. The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in
social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning

D. There is no clinically significant general delay in language
(e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used
by age 3 years)

E. There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive
development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help
skills, adaptive behavior (other than social interaction), and
curiosity about the environment in childhood

F. Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive
Developmental Disorder of Schizophrenia

******************************
I saw that someone posted the DSM IV criteria for Asperger's but I
thought it might be good to provide a more down to earth description.
Asperger's Syndrome is a term used when a child or adult has some
features of autism but may not have the full blown clinical picture.
There is some disagreement about where it fits in the PDD spectrum.
A few people with Asperger's syndrome are very successful and until
recently were not diagnosed with anything but were seen as brilliant,
eccentric, absent minded, socially inept, and a little awkward
physically. Sort of like Ralph Nader.

Although the criteria state no significant delay in the development
of language milestones, what you might see is a "different" way of
using language. A child may have a wonderful vocabulary and even
demonstrate hyperlexia but not truly understand the nuances of
language and have difficulty with language pragmatics. Social
pragmatics also tend be weak, leading the person to appear to be
walking to the beat of a "different drum". Motor dyspraxia can be
reflected in a tendency to be clumsy.

In social interaction, many people with Asperger's syndrome demonstrate
gaze avoidance and may actually turn away at the same moment as
greeting another. The children I have known do desire interaction
with others but have trouble knowing how to make it work. They are,
however, able to learn social skills much like you or I would learn to
play the piano.

There is a general impression that Asperger's syndrome carries with it
superior intelligence and a tendency to become very interested in and
preoccupied with a particular subject. Often this preoccupation leads
to a specific career at which the adult is very successful. At
younger ages, one might see the child being a bit more rigid and
apprehensive about changes or about adhering to routines. This can
lead to a consideration of OCD but it is not the same phenomenon.

Many of the weaknesses can be remediated with specific types of
therapy aimed at teaching social and pragmatic skills. Anxiety
leading to significant rigidity can be also treated medically.
Although it is harder, adults with Asperger's can have relationships,
families, happy and productive lives.

Lois Freisleben-Cook

Gary Vander Molen

Oct 29, 1995, 2:00:00 AM10/29/95
Contact: Autism Network International, P.O. Box 448, Syracuse, NY
13210-0448. ANI is runned by people are diagnosed with autism and
others who closely fit the description. Asperger is seen by many as a
mild form of autism. People with autism and Asperger Syndrome can tell
you better what this disorder is than anyone else can.
Also there is an national organization called NORD. I don't know their
address off hand right now but you might check this out at your library
and with other people who would be familiar with the other resources out
there. Good luck...
Gary