Name on the DOOR!

GarethPS

Jul 12, 2013, 9:18:55 AM7/12/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

We are at a very exciting stage in the life of any Makerspace. Having become a proper legal entity, we can now actually move out and get a place of our own!

As such, we are now in the late stages of signing a lease - some of you who are regulars at the weekly meets already know where we are looking. Once we have signed the lease we will be able to announce it to everyone. In the meantime we are looking for anyone who is willing to help towards the deposit and fit out costs.

There are three ways you can help:

The first would be in the form of a "soft" loan, which means we would not be able to pay any interest but we would pay you back as soon as we have the spare cash and before any directors received their loans back. We, the directors, will make up the shortfall in deposit and also put funds towards the fit out.

Anyone who does put money forward, will get some benefits Kickstarter style:
  • Larger member storage space forever*
  • Named as a supporter on a permanent plaque mounted in the entranceway
  • The option to have a free event in the space on a evening not booked for a regular event. (Restrictions apply, please ask if this your main reason for doing this)
  • Ability to book the vehicle bay (exclusive to supporters, please note the vehicle bay is only for working on your car not for parking)

The monthly membership will be £25 per calender month for a normal membership, £10 for student or a concession and £40 for a family (Family is fairly flexible, but a couple plus kids under 18/21)

As such, the second way you can help out is to "pre-pay" what you can afford. Be it one month or five months, it will be very helpful. Anyone whose normal membership payment hits our account before we officially announce the move will also get the larger on-site storage space for the first 12 months as a thank you for your trust. If you pre-pay some months, you can have that many years of that extra space! So if you give us 3 months extra fees, you'll get a staggering 3 years of that valuable extra real estate!*

(*As long as you remain a member in good standing, and fizzPOP remain at these premises)

The building we are looking to rent is a massive near 2500 square feet and we would have the whole occupancy. Members will have 24hr access and we can do pretty much what we want internally. We will be able to have dedicated nights for various things (Arduino night, woodworking night and a weekly open night that will be free to come along to). There will be power tools, laser cutting, 3D printing, and lots more.

We are happy to go into more details with anyone who is interested, please contact Gareth directly via email Gar...@powerswit.ch or telephone 07919533041. This post is mostly aimed at individuals but anyone who has/knows of a company that would be interested in sponsoring us please let him know.

The third way you can help is to, well, help. Once we have signed the lease, we will need to make the 'space usable. There are a few minor issues like the roof leaks a little and we need a lock on the toilet door, and major ones like we will need to get internet installed. And chairs. And tables. Ok, it's a huge but mostly empty space that together we will fill with awesome. But we need you, the members, to help!

But first, we need to raise the lease money.

Thanks to you all, in advance,

fizzPOP

Ben O'Steen

Jul 12, 2013, 9:39:38 AM7/12/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com

Great news :)

On a related note, I've been talking with various library folk about working with, supporting makerspaces or even setting them up themselves and how (or even if) we might all benefit from working with one another. There is a library unconference coming up in November in Birmingham (http://libcampuk13eoi.eventbrite.co.uk/) and that would be an excellent place to have a session or two on this?

Also, it's a library themed unconference, so there is no agenda until the morning of it but I am absolutely certain that there will be lots of people interested in this :)

Ben

yt...@discreetsecuritysolutions.com

Jul 12, 2013, 3:54:00 PM7/12/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Haha, by November we should be old hands at this!

What we need right now though is members to help get things moving.

I'm going to post this on the London Hackspace group, and we will see how many people that brings over.

Dave Nash

Jul 12, 2013, 4:51:51 PM7/12/13
to Birmingham Hack Space
I'm definitely interested now that there'll potentially be people there on nights other than Wednesdays, which I've always had other commitments on.
I'm probably unable to help out financially, but let me know when we're moving and I'll definitely come down to help sort the place out.

Exciting times ahead!

Dave

yt...@discreetsecuritysolutions.com

Jul 14, 2013, 5:34:16 PM7/14/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Talking of getting our name on the door, although we aren't allowed to have anything on the outside of the building (it is listed) I came up with an idea that means we will have a 12'x8' ish billboard for when we are open. :-)

So, if anyone's rubbish at nailing things together, but really good at spray-painting murals and the like, and, importantly, wants to help out, we have a job for you.

Give us a shout!

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/birmingham-hack-space.

Joc O'Connor

Jul 15, 2013, 3:23:35 AM7/15/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

great news about the new premises! This is the one close to the Custard Factory?

If no-one else volunteers for creating the mural, I do have some experience with painting murals etc.. bit rusty, but I would be happy to help.

Oh, and to Gareth, I'm interested in a soft-loan or pre-booking. I start a new contract in week or so and would be happy to put some
money into the new space but it won't be for 4-5 weeks (until I get paid). How does that suit?

Joc

GarethPS

Jul 15, 2013, 8:31:31 AM7/15/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Joc, sounds great.

We are aiming to be always improving and developing the space so whenever you can help we can make use of it. Because we are still before the official announcement you will get the benefits even though you will be paying after.

Thanks for the support.

Gareth
To post to this group, send email to birmingham...@googlegroups.com.

Antonio Roberts

Jul 15, 2013, 1:53:34 PM7/15/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
> There are a few minor issues like
> the roof leaks a little and we need a lock on the toilet door, and major
> ones like we will need to get internet installed.
Glad to see your priorities are in order ;-)

Congrats on getting the new space! Is this public info yet i.e. can I
post this thread to Twitter?
> --

============================
ant...@hellocatfood.com
http://www.hellocatfood.com
============================

GarethPS

Jul 15, 2013, 1:56:28 PM7/15/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com, ant...@hellocatfood.com
This much is public.

More to be released Wednesday....

Ben Baker

Jul 15, 2013, 2:22:15 PM7/15/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com

Hi,  Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but id love to come to your next meeting.  I thought i better double check where and what time you meet at the moment.  Thanks Ben

GarethPS

Jul 15, 2013, 2:29:05 PM7/15/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben, we will be at BCA on Mary St (in the jewelry quarter)   this Wednesday from 6.30. Any questions feel free to contact on the details above.

Gareth

yt...@discreetsecuritysolutions.com

Jul 15, 2013, 7:27:41 PM7/15/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Someone already posted a thread link to Twitter, and I re-tweeted it from the fizzPOP account. The deal is done, so no point not telling people!

It is going to be mega-awesome.

GarethPS

Jul 17, 2013, 3:43:58 AM7/17/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
News to be released later today.

If you are coming to the space PLEASE be there before 8.30.

For those who aren't coming down there will be more information online around 11.30 tonight.

yt...@discreetsecuritysolutions.com

Jul 17, 2013, 7:31:10 PM7/17/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com