Scaling formula in BBB

Gustavo Garcia

Oct 21, 2014, 4:29:14 PM10/21/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Dear friends,

I would like to know if someone has an idea of how much resources (cpu, memory) an average BBB user will take in a session. Our
goal is to have a formula for how much hardware resources we will need, and what costs. I saw some other topics
about performance tests, and capacity, nevertheless we look for a more definitive estimation method.

Any help will be highly appreciated,

Best regards,

Gustavo García
Technical Manager
RedCLARA

Fred Dixon

Oct 21, 2014, 8:28:00 PM10/21/14
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Gustavo,

> we look for a more definitive estimation method.

The best method to test is to subject the BigBlueButton server to an increasing number of users under various scenarios and then extrapolate out the overall load.  For more information, see

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Gustavo Garcia

Oct 22, 2014, 9:32:59 AM10/22/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Hi Fred,

Thank you, we will do it. Anyone has done so, and has some results that can be shared?

Best regards,

Gustavo García

Fred Dixon

Oct 22, 2014, 12:23:07 PM10/22/14
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Gustavo,

If anyone does share their results, take them with a grain of salt.  The reason we don't post any numbers as most people are not familiar the nuances of their server setup and would be tempted take numbers from a different server setup and (incorrectly) apply them to their own.

Best to test our server/setup to get a sense of the capacity.

Regards,... Fred