odd results with custom config where defaultLayout="Video Chat"

Kathy Flint

Aug 27, 2015, 2:01:46 PM8/27/15
to bigbluebutton-users
I am consuming the setMeetingConfig() api call to set a configuration that is nearly identical to the one expressed in /var/www/bigbluebutton/client/conf/config.xml which came with the system install.

The one difference is in the layout specification, which look like this in my custom config file:

    <layout showLogButton="false" showVideoLayout="false" showResetLayout="true" defaultLayout="Video Chat"
            showToolbar="true" showFooter="true" showMeetingName="true" showHelpButton="true"
            showLogoutWindow="true" showLayoutTools="true" showNetworkMonitor="false" confirmLogout="true"/>

What I want is for the user to experience the same layout when they first join the room as they get when they select "Video Chat" from the Layout Options in the room itself.

What I get is first the label "Apply a layout" as the current option in the Layout Options select box (not a problem, but maybe a clue). This is quickly replaced during initialization by the label "Video Chat" (great).

However, the actual layout that is rendered is rather hodge podgy and NOT the same as the layout I can achieve by manually selecting "Video Chat" inside the room after the room has been initialized.

After the room initializes (based on my custom config file but with the incorrect layout), I can subsequently select around among the options and achieve the real Video Chat layout.

This is feeling like a bug, but thoughts would be welcome. Also workarounds??

(I do have success in general with setting a custom configuration.)

Kathy Flint
Northbridge Technology Alliance

Chad Pilkey

Aug 27, 2015, 2:24:34 PM8/27/15
to bigbluebutton-users
In 0.9 we changed the way that the layouts are named to use keys that can be translated rather than English only names. You can see an example in the default layout.xml and config.xml.

If the layout name (key) can't be found in the locales the combo box will display the name directly as it is in layout.xml.

Chad Pilkey

Aug 27, 2015, 2:28:41 PM8/27/15
to bigbluebutton-users
An alternative way of achieving the same thing, if you wanted everyone on the server have the same default, would be to set the 'default="true"' attribute on a different layout grouping. Or you could edit the config.xml to have a different URL in the layoutConfig property.

I'm not sure what the priority is for the different options though.

Kathy Flint

Aug 27, 2015, 2:53:59 PM8/27/15
to bigbluebutton-users
Ah, ok I am running 0.9.0 beta build 158 and I see those changes postdate my running build.

I will update my installation and then give a status for others who might find useful.

Thanks Chad!

Kathy Flint

Aug 27, 2015, 10:35:50 PM8/27/15
to bigbluebutton-users
Just to close this off, all is working as expected now with my defaultLayout after updating my installation to a current build and following the example at the links provided by Chad.

Nice work BBB team!!

Kathy