My meeting auto terminates after a couple of minutes.

c...@stepaneurope.com

Oct 17, 2014, 10:27:23 AM10/17/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I use the latest build of bbb 0.9
When I create meeting via the API I get this:
<?xml version="1.0"?>

c...@stepaneurope.com

Oct 17, 2014, 10:33:01 AM10/17/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Sorry the previous post is not complete but I had chrome crashed when I copied the xml.
So the meeting is created fine, I  can see it when I call the getMeetings function.
But after 2/3 mns the meeting is then not available.
Is there is timer? How long a meeting remain active?
How can we change this parameter?

Regards,
Cedric

Fred Dixon

Oct 17, 2014, 10:42:14 AM10/17/14
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Cedric,

After you create a meeting, the BigBlueButton server is expecting users to join very soon.  If they don't join within roughly five minutes, the server will remove the meeting from memory.

To use the API, we're recommend you not create the meeting until it's time for the first person to join.

In fact, the create call is idempotent (there are no side effects), so you could always call create an then join for each user.  The first create call will actually create the meeting, and subsequent create calls will still return true.  This is how demo1.jsp works.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

c...@stepaneurope.com

Oct 17, 2014, 11:12:43 AM10/17/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hum...
Not sure to understand how this should work.
Meetings needs to be planned , but not 5 mns before...
Let says I want to organize a meeting for monday 10:00
I don't create it now, but monday 09:55
How do I send the link today to the users I want to invite in my meeting??

For the demo meeting you means that all attendee use a create call instead of a join call right?
Everyone is creating the same meeting, but only the first create it, and the next a switched to a join right?

I am  a bit lost on how bbb is supposed to work!
Thanks for your light on this.
Cedric

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 10:33 AM, <c...@stepaneurope.com> wrote:
Sorry the previous post is not complete but I had chrome crashed when I copied the xml.
So the meeting is created fine, I  can see it when I call the getMeetings function.
But after 2/3 mns the meeting is then not available.
Is there is timer? How long a meeting remain active?
How can we change this parameter?

Regards,
Cedric

Fred Dixon

Oct 17, 2014, 12:25:04 PM10/17/14
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Cedric,

Think of BigBlueButton as a web server.  You don't tell a web server that "I'm going to download a file from you next Tuesday at 2:00 PM; rather, just just make a request and download the file."

It's similar with BigBlueButton. There is no scheduling database in BigBlueButton -- that's in your front-end.  When you want to join a user into a room, you create the session and join them.

The invitation to the room is handled by your front-end.  You decide the message, who gets access, and where the invite link leads back to your site.  When users go to your side, you decide whether to let them into the room or not.  It's at that point you create the room on the BigBlueButton server and join the first user.

Regards,... Fred

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-users.

c...@stepaneurope.com

Oct 28, 2014, 6:52:15 PM10/28/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Thanks for your reply, I understand now.
Cant the max idle time be adjusted?
I would like the meeting auto terminate after 10mns instead of 5mns?
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-users.

BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Chad Pilkey

Oct 29, 2014, 12:37:23 PM10/29/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
You should be able to change the timing from 5 to 10 minutes by editing "/var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/bigbluebutton/WEB-INF/classes/bigbluebutton.properties" and changing the "defaultMeetingCreateJoinDuration" property. After changing it make sure to run "bbb-conf --clean" so the new value is applied.