Usage statistics for a BBB videoconf

Marc Schipperheyn

Jul 17, 2014, 10:27:58 PM7/17/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
A client of ours asked us after they held a small webinar on BBB, can you provide us with statistics about the meeting? Things like:
* How many participants
* Duration of the participation
* Number of people who completed the entire session
etc.

Is something like this available?

Cheers,
Marc

Fred Dixon

Jul 18, 2014, 8:12:29 AM7/18/14
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Marc,

There isn't any API call to get this information directly, but you can pull it from the server.  You can poll the server with getMeeetings and, for each meeting, poll the users with getMeetingInfo.

This will give you the length of each meeting and the length (within the poll interval) of each user's participation.  In the polling logic you can then determine if a user has completed the meeting or not.

See

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

lazar AIT

May 20, 2016, 10:38:14 AM5/20/16
to bigbluebutton-users
Hi,
I am a new user of BBB and  and it is a very amazing project!
I am currently working on generating statistics about attendees and meetings and I'm interested in your post. Does it mean that getMeetingInfo returns instantaneous information about a meeting? If we consider the case when an attendee leaves a meeting before the execution of getMeetingInfo, then he is not included in the result?
Mygoal  is to determine how much time an attendee spent on a meeting.
Regards,
Lazar

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 10:27 PM, Marc Schipperheyn <m.schip...@gmail.com> wrote:
A client of ours asked us after they held a small webinar on BBB, can you provide us with statistics about the meeting? Things like:
* How many participants
* Duration of the participation
* Number of people who completed the entire session
etc.

Is something like this available?

Cheers,
Marc

Fred Dixon

May 20, 2016, 10:41:36 AM5/20/16
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Iazar,

> I am a new user of BBB and  and it is a very amazing project!

Thanks.

> I am currently working on generating statistics about attendees and meetings and I'm interested in your post. Does it mean that getMeetingInfo returns instantaneous information about a meeting? If we consider the case when an attendee leaves a meeting before the execution of getMeetingInfo, then he is not included in the result?

The getMeetingInfo will return to you the current state of the meeting.  What you can do is poll the meeting, say every 5 minutes, and keep track of the users.  When a user that appeared in a previous poll disappears from the subsequent poll, you know they are no longer in the session and have their duration (within 5 minutes).

Regards,... Fred

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-users.

BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Wolfgang Pein

Oct 30, 2020, 9:46:17 AM10/30/20
to bigbluebutton-users
Hi,
in order to avoid a new conversation I am using this old conversation which covers exactly my problem. Maybe things have changed in between?

We plan to incorporate bigbluebutton into a new application. It is essential to get statistics after the meeting has ended.
API call getmeetinginfo so far seem to have all the info we need. However the info only seem to be available as long as the meeting is running.

Once the meeting has ended API call getmeetinginfo provides an empty response.

What can I do to solve this problem?

The application itself cannot control end of meeting because the moderator may have end the meeting within bigbluebutton.

Possible solutions I see for getmeeting info API call:

1. Is there a configuration option that the meeting may only be ended by the API call "end meeting" rather than by the moderator within bigbluebutton? I guess this is not configurable!

2. Is there a configurable option so that getmeetinginfo would provide information also after end of meeting (lets say for x minutes) before clearing memory?
    There is a parameter called " meetingExpireWhenLastUserLeftInMinutes=x  " in bigbluebutton.properties but this only helps if the meeting is not explicitly ended.
    Also how can the application know that the last user left the meeting?

3. Call getmeetinginfo every x seconds to get intermediate results and then, later on, consolidate the results

The other option would be to not use getmeetinginfo but evaluate the events (XML-files). For testing purpose I activated this option ( keepEvents=true in bigbluebutton.properties  ).
These XML-files may get pretty big. I know that there are a number of tools (bbbstats.sh, bbb-events) for evaluation of events but wonder whether there is document on the meaning of the various events
( I was not able to find one).

Any ideas how to (easily) solve this request?

I think bigbluebutton should provide some functionality (via API and/or within the bigbluebutton GUI - probably for moderator only) to get some basic statistics after the meeting (without the need to evaluate all events).
So e.g. in bigbluebutton the moderator may have an action to "end meeting" and also an action "provide meeting statistics and end meeting". The second option may be configurable i.e. a meeting could be configured to not allow to get statistics.

Thanks for your help!

Wolfgang

Fred Dixon

Oct 30, 2020, 12:06:40 PM10/30/20
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Wolfgang,

You could do (3) for the moment -- have a program running on the BigBlueButton server that polls all active meetings and extracts the getMeetingInfo from each one.  You could poll every minute for example.

You would want to parse the data and store it somewhere (such as Redis) so that your tracking as people join/leave.   After the meeting ends, you could then extract the summary data into a format usable by your application.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton