More cores or faster CPU ?

rayn....@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2017, 11:17:01 PM2/17/17
to bigbluebutton-users
Hello,

My first post here, I'm looking into a dedicated server and I was wondering if you recommend more cores or a faster CPU.
I'm looking into an E3-1230v2 at 3.6GHz with 4 Cores and 8 threads VS a dual Opteron 6128 at 2.0Ghz with 16 Cores and 16 Threads.
What is better for BBB, a faster CPU or more cores and a slower CPU?

Thank you

Fred Dixon

Feb 18, 2017, 8:10:05 AM2/18/17
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Ryan,

Since the JVM and FreeSWITCH can both use multiple cores, it comes down to overall compute capacity.

The most CPU during a session is used by FreeSWITCH, and the most CPU outside a session is used by the processing of recordings.

I would go with the 16 cores and 16 threads, but both server look very good for BigBlueButton.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton