HTTPS gives me Error: getJoinURL() failed

Library Mark

Nov 24, 2015, 2:53:13 PM11/24/15
to bigbluebutton-users
Folks - I am trying to set up a BigBlueButton test box here at the library I work at. I am following the instructions at http://docs.bigbluebutton.org/1.0/10install.html.

When I finish the install, BBB works just as it should. But - I really need to get HTTPS working, so I continue on to the

"Configure BigBlueButton to load session via HTTPS" section. It seems to work ok, (but I have to do bbb-conf --setip <our domain name> a lot). I am able to see the welcome page just fine and it likes my https cert. but when I go to do any of the examples, it gives me "Error: getJoinURL() failed"

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Mark.

Mark Ehle

Nov 24, 2015, 3:26:41 PM11/24/15
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
I apologize for the ridiculous formatting of my previous message.

Chad Pilkey

Nov 24, 2015, 4:32:28 PM11/24/15
to bigbluebutton-users
Are you using a self-signed certificate by any chance? A self-signed certificate will cause some of the internal calls to fail because tomcat will reject your certificate.

Also, you should only need to run --setip once per IP or FQDN change. What problem are you running into that is making you run it more than once?

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 2:53 PM, Library Mark <mark...@gmail.com> wrote:
Folks - I am trying to set up a BigBlueButton test box here at the library I work at. I am following the instructions at http://docs.bigbluebutton.org/1.0/10install.html.

When I finish the install, BBB works just as it should. But - I really need to get HTTPS working, so I continue on to the

"Configure BigBlueButton to load session via HTTPS" section. It seems to work ok, (but I have to do bbb-conf --setip <our domain name> a lot). I am able to see the welcome page just fine and it likes my https cert. but when I go to do any of the examples, it gives me "Error: getJoinURL() failed"

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Mark.

Mark Ehle

Nov 24, 2015, 5:38:34 PM11/24/15
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
I am using a cert from Comodo. Near as I can tell, that is not the problem. It does not complain about an invalid cert. It's a wildcard cert that we use on all of our public-facing web servers with no trouble.

As far as --setip goes, everytime I run bbb-conf --check it says,
** Potential problems described below **
# Warning: API URL IPs do not match host:

It does this before I set up for HTTPS, too.

Like I said, it runs just fine before I try to configure for HTTPS, and I am pretty sure I am following the instructions to the letter.

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Chad Pilkey <capi...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Fred Dixon

Nov 24, 2015, 6:13:10 PM11/24/15
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Mark,

> But - I really need to get HTTPS working

There is something not right, but it's also not obvious.   If time is pressing, you have other support options beyond volunteer support from the community.

Regards,... Fred
BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Mark Ehle

Nov 24, 2015, 6:17:31 PM11/24/15
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
I don't need it until the end of January.

Chad Pilkey

Nov 24, 2015, 6:20:34 PM11/24/15
to bigbluebutton-users
The warnings about IPs being different than the IP from ifconfig can be ignored. Those messages are just there to tell you that you have used --setip to change from the default.

For the problem, could post the full results of "bbb-conf --check". Could you also use Mconf's API Mate (http://mconf.github.io/api-mate/) to test the create and join calls. The actual error messages are hidden by the demo pages, but they should, hopefully, be visible from the direct calls. To make the API Mate work put in your server's IP and salt and the page will construct valid URLs.

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 5:38:34 PM UTC-5, Library Mark wrote:
[...]

Mark Ehle

Nov 24, 2015, 7:43:54 PM11/24/15
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Here's my bbb-conf --check:

BigBlueButton Server 1.0.0-beta (979)
                    Kernel version: 3.13.0-68-generic
                            Memory: 7984 MB

/var/www/bigbluebutton/client/conf/config.xml (bbb-client)
          Port test (tunnel): bbb.willardlibrary.org
                              Red5: bbb.willardlibrary.org
              useWebrtcIfAvailable: true

/opt/freeswitch/conf/sip_profiles/external.xml (FreeSWITCH)
                    websocket port: 5066
                    WebRTC enabled: true

/etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton (nginx)
                       server name: bbb.willardlibrary.org
                              port: 80
443 ssl
                    bbb-client dir: /var/www/bigbluebutton

/var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/bigbluebutton/WEB-INF/classes/bigbluebutton.properties (bbb-web)
                      bbb-web host: bbb.willardlibrary.org

/var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/demo/bbb_api_conf.jsp (API demos)
                           api url: String BigBlueButtonURL = "https:

/var/www/bigbluebutton/check/conf/config.xml (client check)
                      client check: bbb.willardlibrary.org

/usr/share/red5/webapps/bigbluebutton/WEB-INF/red5-web.xml (red5)
                  voice conference: FreeSWITCH
                     capture video: true
                   capture desktop: true

/usr/local/bigbluebutton/core/scripts/bigbluebutton.yml (record and playback)
                     playback host: bbb.willardlibrary.org

** Potential problems described below **
# Warning: API URL IPs do not match host:
#
#                                IP from ifconfig: 192.168.1.236
#  /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/demo/bbb_api_conf.jsp: String BigBlueButtonURL = "https:

# Warning: The API demos are installed and accessible from:
#
#    http://bbb.willardlibrary.org/
#
# These API demos allow anyone to access your server without authentication
# to create/manage meetings and recordings. They are for testing purposes only.
# If you are running a production system, remove them by running:
#
#    sudo apt-get purge bbb-demo

# Warning: The client self check is installed and accessible from:
#
#    http://bbb.willardlibrary.org/check
#

I am not sure how to use the API mate. I have put in my URL and salt. What's next?

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 6:20 PM, Chad Pilkey <capi...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Mark Ehle

Nov 24, 2015, 7:45:38 PM11/24/15
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
 I do get this error in the browser console when I play with the API mate:

Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://bbb.willardlibrary.org/bigbluebutton/api/. (Reason: CORS header 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' missing).

Is that useful?

Mark Ehle

Nov 24, 2015, 8:50:59 PM11/24/15
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
On a whim I uninstalled (--purge) and reinstalled the demo package. It's working fine now, HTTPS and all. I must have borked a file somewhere.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Mark