Integrating BBB with Moodle - Storing recordings

Jeremy Davis

Oct 20, 2014, 9:52:38 PM10/20/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am currently testing BBB (and Moodle) for a small non-profit (NGO) I am working with. They are currently conducting a blended remote learning (involving some e-learning) course and I think that it could be nicely streamlined with the use of BBB and Moodle.

So, currently I have BBB integrated with Moodle (each on their own server - using the 2 provided BBB->Moodle modules). So far testing has been very promising (I have only been testing within the LAN though). However as the upstream internet bandwidth from the NGO isn't great, we are looking at hosting BBB on EC2 (so everyone can get decent downstream bandwidth from the server). As they will only need BBB running 2-3 hours per week it will probably be best to stop the server when not needed (to save them money mainly).

So my questions are:
  • Where are the recorded BBB sessions (that are available in Moodle) stored?
  • If on the BBB server, is there a way that I can easily copy them to Moodle?
  • If on the Moodle server, will it upset Moodle if I turn off the BBB machine?
  • If I need to copy the recorded sessions from BBB to Moodle, is there a particularly good way to do that? (so that they are still available in Moodle without too much adjustment)
Or perhaps some has a different or better suggestion?

Cheers,
Jeremy

Fred Dixon

Oct 21, 2014, 12:04:14 AM10/21/14
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Jeremy,

> Where are the recorded BBB sessions (that are available in Moodle) stored?

They are stored on the BigBlueButton server.

> If on the BBB server, is there a way that I can easily copy them to Moodle?

Not at the moment as they are not self-contained directories; rather, they require local files on the BigBlueButton server to successfully playback.

If you open a recording on the BigBlueButton server, then make visible the network traffic (using the developer tools in Google Chrome) you could see and then copy down all the files that are loaded from the BigBlueButton server to your local server.

It's all static files, so if you recreate the same layout (again, you'll see all the files in the network traffic), you could copy them down to your server.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Jeremy Davis

Oct 22, 2014, 1:30:06 AM10/22/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
HI again again Fred, you are a star! :)

On Tuesday, 21 October 2014 15:04:14 UTC+11, Fred Dixon wrote:
Hi Jeremy,

> Where are the recorded BBB sessions (that are available in Moodle) stored?

They are stored on the BigBlueButton server.

I strongly suspected that...

> If on the BBB server, is there a way that I can easily copy them to Moodle?

Not at the moment as they are not self-contained directories; rather, they require local files on the BigBlueButton server to successfully playback.

If you open a recording on the BigBlueButton server, then make visible the network traffic (using the developer tools in Google Chrome) you could see and then copy down all the files that are loaded from the BigBlueButton server to your local server.

It's all static files, so if you recreate the same layout (again, you'll see all the files in the network traffic), you could copy them down to your server.

Ah ok, I was hoping that there may be an easier way... If need be though I guess that'd work.

What about if I wrote a script (triggered by cron) which would copy any new files across to a new storage folder on my Moodle server? I guess then I'd need some player (HTML5??) integrated with Moodle to play them though...?!

And another thought... Could I use the Matterhorn ingestion script (bbb-playback-matterhorn) as mentioned here? (assuming that this is/will be relevant to BBB 0.90). From my cursory reading it sounds like the Matterhorn script simply zips the records and exports them to a folder on an external server (intended to be a Matterhorn server, but it seems to me that it wouldn't have to be...).

Regards,
Jeremy

Regards,... Fred

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 9:52 PM, Jeremy Davis <jer...@jeremydavis.org> wrote:
[...]

Fred Dixon

Oct 22, 2014, 8:11:11 AM10/22/14
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Jeremy,

What about if I wrote a script (triggered by cron) which would copy
> any new files across to a new storage folder on my Moodle server?
> I guess then I'd need some player (HTML5??) integrated with Moodle to play them though...?!

The BigBlueButton recordings already come with an built-in HTML5 player (you don't need Flash to playback the recordings).

You don't need Matterhorn.  See this thread in bigbluebutton-setup for more precise steps on copying recordings to a non-BigBlueButton server:

Regards,... Fred

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-users.