about openVZ node server

Enaya Gad

Dec 12, 2014, 11:00:57 AM12/12/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
I really don't understand at all but my server administrator is saying that big blue button can not be installed on a server which has an openVZ node server.

He suggests that I contact my data center and ask them to assign the public ip address to the main interface.

My data center, however, said the following:

 It is technically not possible to change venet0:0 to main IP in OpenVZ VPS servers.
All OpenVZ based VPS servers is configured as PPP connetion inside node server which works as gateway/router for a hosted VPS and this network configuration should stay.

Can you please help me out with this! My server admin is now suggesting I host somewhere else without an openVZ node server

Thanks in advance

Fred Dixon

Dec 12, 2014, 11:17:22 AM12/12/14
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Enaya,

In the future, please post installation/setup related questions to bigbluebutton-setup

You can install BigBlueButton on a server with public/private IP addresses, but we personally don't have experience with OpenVZ servers.

Make sure the server meets the minimum requirements listed at

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Enaya Gad

Dec 12, 2014, 2:39:31 PM12/12/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Fred.

Enaya Gad

Dec 12, 2014, 2:43:50 PM12/12/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Do you know where I can get information about openVZ node server and BBB installation?

Do the BBB instructions not apply to us?

Thanks

Fred Dixon

Dec 12, 2014, 3:07:05 PM12/12/14
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Enaya,

> Do you know where I can get information about openVZ node server and BBB installation?

We (the core developers) don't have any experience with openVZ.  Perhaps other members of the community have experience they can share.

Regards,... Fred

Jay Donovan

Dec 14, 2014, 2:29:50 AM12/14/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
OpenVZ installs work fine. Install the appropriate Ubuntu template inside the container and then follow the normal BBB install steps.

Do make sure to set your Locale properly - that's been the only caveat we've run into.

Performance is quite good and it's nice not having kernels running on top of kernels. (It's kernels all the way down.)

-J