Admin interface -- since there isn't one...

Ken D'Ambrosio

Jul 30, 2012, 2:38:21 PM7/30/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi!  I've decided to go with BBB as my company's internal video conferencing solution.  It seems to be the most flexible, fleshed-out OSS "answer" out there, and I'm excited to get into it.  That being said, as has been noted in the FAQ, there's no admin panel/page/whatever: "Use the API!" and then it shows a handful of connector applications (e.g., Joomla, Drupal).  So... I'd like a fairly simplistic front-end that would let any of my users set up a meeting.  I'm certainly willing to deploy Joomla, Drupal, etc., with the idea that it would have exactly one purpose: be a front end to BBB.  Is there a suggestion on which one is "better"?  Or should I be crafting this myself?  I don't really want to go through the hassle of installing Joomla, Drupal, Moodle, etc., etc., just to see how the BBB interface works, so any information about likes and dislikes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

-Ken

Fred Dixon

Jul 30, 2012, 2:45:58 PM7/30/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken,

You can whip together a serviceable front-end using one of the API demos.  See

You could strip out the references to other API demos on this page, then modify demo3.jsp to have a number of present rooms.

That being said, your right in that BigBlueButton lacks a stand-alone interface.  It's not that we don't what to have one; rather, the development of BigBlueButton itself takes the bulk of our effort.

For simplicity, you might find the WordPress integration the easiest to get going.  See

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Reimar Bauer

Jul 30, 2012, 2:58:53 PM7/30/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi

because my major language is python and I wanted to use bigbluebutton
from a MoinMoin wiki and also from a commandline interface I
introduced

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/bigbluebutton
a mockup for moin-1
http://moinmo.in/ActionMarket/BigBlueButton

Reimar

Ken D'Ambrosio

Jul 30, 2012, 3:25:57 PM7/30/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks kindly!  I'll fire up WordPress right now.  I certainly can't fault your rationale -- after having looked at a bunch of other videoconferencing options that are dead or dying, I will accept with gratitude any time you give to BBB, itself.  I may yet try to work out a standalone front-end -- it would be nice to have something with some sane defaults that just let you fire up meetings -- but I'll definitely try out the WordPress plugin, first; the video made it look like it was a piece of cake.

Thanks again,

-Ken

I Capatosta

Apr 23, 2014, 4:44:59 PM4/23/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
I wish BBB had a simple admin panel

I'm struggling with WordPress and Drupal   - I don't want or need a wiki or a blog just some thing to schedule and attend meetings

I'm not sure how to use WordPress or Drupal - I got both installed but . . .

Maybe I'll try modifying the Demp3 and make one per user  but  I may be in over my head

Gene Schenk

Apr 23, 2014, 7:41:59 PM4/23/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Here is a link to my wordpress site that has worked flawlessly for everything

I need it to do.  And all you need is one page and the BBB widget installed and

you are good to go.

I watched a couple of videos on youtube to get the basics of wordpress and that

got me through the lack of frontend for BBB.

Take a deep breath and try the wordpress for a least action path to a bbb frontend.

Gene

Gene Schenk

Apr 23, 2014, 7:42:28 PM4/23/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Here is the link www.eirwebconf.us

Gene

Apr 24, 2014, 9:46:30 AM4/24/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
:) I tell my kids to take a deep breath when they get flustered - I guess I should listen

I have wordpress installed and I've been looking at the "admin" page for a while now - I guess I'll try to continue with it - or switch to drupal

On your link can meetings be scheduled on the fly by authorized users only with email links to attendees ?

PS I'm looking at CBOX (commons in a box) plugin if that falls through I'll check out your link

If I get it to work internally then I'll tackle the whole firewall and need for two external IPs for WordPress and BBB or maybe I'll try to run WordPress on 8080 and BBB on 80 and use only 1 IP

Thanks for the reply

Fred Dixon

Apr 24, 2014, 10:14:14 AM4/24/14
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Capatosta,

> If I get it to work internally then I'll tackle the whole firewall and need for two external IPs for WordPress and BBB or maybe I'll try to run WordPress on 8080 and BBB on 80 and use only 1 IP

You do not want to try doing this.  For reasons, see

BigBlueButton uses port 8080 internally.  If you don't know what you are doing, you'll hit more configuration issues as you mix applications on the same server.  Best to run them on different servers.

Regards,... Fred

Ken D'Ambrosio

Apr 24, 2014, 10:42:30 AM4/24/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
What I wound up doing was creating a one-stop-shop; I have both Apache and nginx running on the same box, but on ports 443 and 80, respectively.  I have my nginx landing page for my system's DNS entry do an immediate redirect to 443, and then wrote a PHP front-end that lets LDAP-authenticated users create, join, and e-mail links to meetings. The code is pretty darn messy (I'm of the hack-and-slash sysadmin coding camp), but it does the job, and lets me have my BBB on one system.

-Ken

I Capatosta

Apr 24, 2014, 11:34:44 AM4/24/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Fred

I have two boxes - I just didn't want to burn two external IP's

Since I'm behind a firewall my thought was use One IP and one port the front end server that BBB needs in order work and then user the same IP on the other ports that BBB needs

I Capatosta

Apr 24, 2014, 11:42:46 AM4/24/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Ken

Again thanks for the reply - I will not be slashing and hacking but I sure do hate that BBB is lacking a front end

I read a review on BBB the review said that BBB is one of the better softwares out there but they downgraded it because of the lack of a front end.  I originally went with Apache Open Meetings  because of that review but I didn't like open meetings.  I will say that it was self contained and it worked - If I can't get a front end to work I may have to ditch BBB and go back to OM

I'll keep at if for now

Ken may be you should publish your how 2 and your script files - I know I for one would be grateful even if I had to use two servers to do the job