desktop sharing starts from presenter but doesn't show up in other users

Giannis Koutzamanis

Dec 6, 2016, 10:29:27 AM12/6/16
to bigbluebutton-users
HI!!!!

Sometimes (not very often) when a user starts desktop sharing, it starts normally in his client (without any browser or java blocks or limitations), but it doesn't show up in the rest users clients. This happens randomly, rarely and not only in a specific user. Users that shared they desktop with this problem, usually share they desktop without any problem.

Furthermore, most of the times that this problem happens, users cannot stop desktop sharing. In fact, they stop it in their client, but it keeps sharing his desktop in the other users clients (for a few minutes and then it stops by itself).

Because of the random occurrence of this problem, when couldn't come to any conclusion or do any tests. The only common thing was that all presenters in our online courses, use Mozilla Firefox for desktop sharing.

Any ideas for either how to share desktop or how to stop sharing it, in a case like this????

Thanx!!!

Fred Dixon

Dec 6, 2016, 11:06:58 AM12/6/16
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Giannis,

We have a newer desktop sharing coming in BigBlueButton 1.1-beta (which should be released soon), and this might help with the challenges you are facing.  (I have to emphasize "might" as there may be other factors at play).

In the case where the desktop sharing does not appear, you can ask users to simply click the refresh button on their web browser and it will reload the BigBlueButton session.

In the case where desktop sharing does not stop -- it should, and it should stop immediately.  It might be that others who are on a slow network connection are still seeing a buffered stream of the desktop from 30 seconds ago, and after a minute or two the buffered stream reaches the end and they see the desktop sharing normally stop.

> Because of the random occurrence of this problem, when couldn't come to any conclusion or do any tests.

It's always more challenging to resolve a issue that is more random than deterministic.  If you do find a path to reproduce it, we'd be *very* interested.

In the meantime, you can try out the newer desktop sharing on

and here is a video showing its use

Regards,.. Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Giannis Koutzamanis

Dec 7, 2016, 1:37:58 PM12/7/16
to bigbluebutton-users
HI!!!

I tried the new version of desktop sharing, it has better performance, I could show a video without many delays, good job! The only thing is that you have to donwload every time the same file (screenshare.jnlp). OK we'll test it more when the v1.1 releases.

In regard to the current desktop sharing version not starting issue, whe also use the other users refresh solution.

Thanx a lot!!!

pablo milan

Dec 20, 2016, 2:51:45 PM12/20/16
to bigbluebutton-users
Hi,

Culd you tell me how to install the new version? I would like to test it .

Thanks

Chad Pilkey

Dec 20, 2016, 4:16:23 PM12/20/16
to bigbluebutton-users
From Fred's previous reply in this thread:

We have a newer desktop sharing coming in BigBlueButton 1.1-beta (which should be released soon)

So a post will be made on the bigbluebutton-dev list when it's ready for people to test and install the beta.