I am using Moodle 3.3 and need to install BBB 1.1RC

Kiran Derle

May 27, 2017, 9:57:48 PM5/27/17
to bigbluebutton-users
Hello Sir/Madam,
I am using Moodle 3.3 and BBB along with it. I think BBB 1.1RC is a perfect release as it will really beneficial to Indian students.I teach online Aptitude for various exams.
I am not the technical person and the developer release is not updated in Moodle plugin. Could anyone please help me in installing this version in my Moodle. I am management student so can only understand Layman language and not technical dose.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Kiran Derle

Fred Dixon

May 27, 2017, 10:02:08 PM5/27/17
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Kiran,

> I am not the technical person and the developer release is not updated in Moodle plugin. Could anyone please help me in installing this version in my Moodle.

You would install BigBlueButton on a separate dedicated server (not on your Moodle server).  For detailed instructions, along with an installation video, see

The key point is to make sure the separate dedicated server on which you intend to install BigBlueButton meets the minimum requirements.  If so, the installation should go through smoothly.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Kiran Derle

May 28, 2017, 3:00:52 AM5/28/17
to bigbluebutton-users
Thanks Fred,

When would HTML5 capability get updated as official Moodle plugin?

Fred Dixon

May 28, 2017, 7:56:13 AM5/28/17
to BigBlueButton-users
HI Kiran,

Development of the HTML5 client is independent from Moodle.  The Moodle plugin using the BigBlueButton API to create meetings, join users, and view and manage the recordings.  It doesn't have knowledge of what client the user is running.

When the BigBlueButton server receives a 'join' request from a user, it loads the BigBlueButton Flash client.  We are working on extending the BigBlueButton server to load the HTML5 client when the user is joining from an Android device.

Whether the use is joins via the Flash or HTML5 client is a function of the BigBlueButton server, not the Moodle plugin.  In other words, you won't need to update the BigBlueButton plugin for Moodle to use the HTML5 client.

This is by design -- we didn't want integrations to have to change when we added a new client to the BigBlueButton server.

Your question is probably more close to "when will the HTML5 client become available?"  We have released a developer preview of the client, see

We are now working on towards releasing a beta version of the HTML5 client.  See above link for more details.

Regards,... Fred

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 3:00 AM, Kiran Derle <derle...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Fred,

When would HTML5 capability get updated as official Moodle plugin?

Kiran Derle

May 28, 2017, 8:59:55 AM5/28/17
to bigbluebutton-users
Thanks a lot Fred. That was really understandable language for non-technical guy like me. I Will wait for BBB server to load HTML5 client when user access through my Moodle website. Hope in this case I won't require any dedicated server.. Loved the HTML 5 client preview.

Regards,
Kiran

Fred Dixon

May 28, 2017, 9:04:28 AM5/28/17
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Kiran,

> Hope in this case I won't require any dedicated server.. Loved the HTML 5 client preview.

The BigBlueButton plugin is really just an interface (which runs in Moodle) that knows how to talk to the BigBlueButton server.  If you want to use BigBlueButton, the plugin will need a separate BigBlueButton server to communicate with.  In other words, installing the BigBlueButton plugin in your Moodle site is not the same as installing the a BigBlueButton server.

By default, the BigBlueButtonBN plugin comes pre-configured to communicate with an external test-install server, which is good for testing.

If you are running your own Moodle server and want to have your own BigBlueButton server, you'll need to procure a separate, dedicated server and install BigBlueButton on it.

If an external company is providing you hosting for Moodle, theres a good chance they could offer you hosting for BigBlueButton as well.

Regards,... Fred

Kiran Derle

May 28, 2017, 10:52:47 AM5/28/17
to bigbluebutton-users
Thanks a lot Fred Sir...

Kiran Derle

May 29, 2017, 12:01:31 AM5/29/17
to bigbluebutton-users
Hello Fred Sir,

It would be really great if you can publish short video on how to integrate BBB 1.1rc with moodle linking to dedicated server. It would be really helpful for thousands of us!

Hi Kiran,

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Kiran Derle <derle...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks a lot Fred. That was really understandable language for non-technical guy like me. I Will wait for BBB server to load HTML5 client when user access through my Moodle website. Hope in this case I won't require any dedicated server.. Loved the HTML 5 client preview.

Regards,
Kiran

Fred Dixon

May 29, 2017, 6:50:39 AM5/29/17
to BigBlueButton-users
It's a good suggestion.  Basically, on your BigBlueButton server, enter the command

  bbb-conf --secret

and take the two values it prints and put them into the configuration screen for the BigBlueButtonBN Moodle plugin.  You can access the configuration screen by logging into Moodle as administrator and going to

  Site Administration -> Plugins -> Plugins Overview -> Settings (for BigBlueButtonBN).

Then enter the values given by `bbb-conf --secret` for

  BigBlueButton Server URL
  BigBlueButton Shared Secret

Scroll down and click 'Save Changes'.  At that point, you should be able to create a virtual classroom on your BigBlueButton server.

Regards,... Fred