camera error message "is used by another program" while it is not used

Giannis Koutzamanis

Nov 29, 2013, 4:05:47 AM11/29/13
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
HI!!!!

Sometimes users try to open their camera and there is a message shown "camera is used by another program", while there is no program running that uses the camera at this time.

It happened to me also 2-3 times from a Windows 7 64-bit system.

Is there a running process issue? A process that still uses the camera? Or what else could be happening?

Also, is there a solution sxcept from restarting the computer?

Thanx!

Fred Dixon

Nov 29, 2013, 7:58:57 AM11/29/13
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Giannis,

We see this issue as well from time-to-time, and it's not clear to us either why the webcam is not available, other than at some point prior, an application used the webcam and didn't release the resources.

The best (and quickest) solution is to ask them to reboot their computer.

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Glenn Silverstein

Fred Dixon

Jan 13, 2017, 6:33:04 PM1/13/17
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Glenn,

What version of BigBlueButton are you using?  Rebooting your computer is hardly ever necessary, but it's an easy way to make sure no other applications have access to your microphone when you go into BigBlueButton.

Regards,.. Fred

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 6:12 PM, Glenn Silverstein <ethans...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

OK Heng

Feb 1, 2017, 10:40:23 AM2/1/17
to bigbluebutton-users

message shown "camera is used by another program"
 Looks like this issue has not been resolved. I'm experiencing the same problem with the front camera. It's ok with the back camera.
Anyone knows how to resolve this?

Fred Dixon

Feb 1, 2017, 10:45:30 AM2/1/17
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi,

> I'm experiencing the same problem with the front camera. It's ok with the back camera.

Can you provide more details on your computer.  Are these built-in cameras or external cameras?

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

OK Heng

Feb 1, 2017, 8:55:02 PM2/1/17
to bigbluebutton-users
Thanks Fred,
I'm using Microsoft Surface Pro 4. The cameras are built-in.

Fred Dixon

Feb 1, 2017, 8:56:23 PM2/1/17
to BigBlueButton-users
I'm wondering if anyone else in the forum has a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 they can test out as well?

Regards,... Fred

OK Heng

Feb 3, 2017, 11:36:53 AM2/3/17
to bigbluebutton-users
Just to update.
My front camera starts to work. But I can't recall what I did to make it happen.