Audio Problems in Conference

thomas k

Mar 30, 2015, 9:38:58 AM3/30/15
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

we organized a BBB-conference with people from 7 different south American countries. We sent invitation links to all 7 other participants. Since on our side as conference moderators we were already 4 people, we uses loudspeakers and a microphone. To prevent sound interference we always deactivated our microphone when we were not speaking ourselves and asked to do the same from the other participants. Nevertheless there were many problems with sound. Some countries could be hear very clearly, some couldn`t hear in part of the meetings, others could hear us very well, but we couldn´t understand them very well (often some words were cut out). We presented just two PDFs in the conference, 4 participants had their webcams activated.

How we an avoid this problems next time. The internet connection of our server is not optimal (we have only 10 Mbit/sec upstream/downstream) for the BBB-Server (we use bbb 0.9.0-beta on Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (64-bit), it´s a VM with memory: 7985 MB) and some of the countries have maybe bad internet connections as well.
Would it help trying without using the webcams? Is the reason for the sound problems more the internet connection of our BBB-Server or the internet connection on the side of the participants from the other countries? Or is it caused by routing between the countries? Or is there a problem with the configuration of audio in the other countries?
We really appreciate some suggestions how we could find out the source of the problems and prepare next time better.

Thanks and Regards

Fred Dixon

Mar 30, 2015, 9:55:33 AM3/30/15
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Thomas,

A few quick thoughts

1.  Make sure all users use either FireFox or Google Chrome -- both have support for webRTC audio

2.  You internet connection for the server is about 1/10th of what we recommend.  Your welcome to use

for your next meeting.

Some countries could be hear very clearly, some couldn`t hear in part of the meetings, others could hear us very well,

3.  Have each user do a speed test (http://speedtest.net) of their internet connection.  The need to have (at least) 0.5 Mbits/sec upstream and 1.0 Mbits/sec downstream.  It might be OK if less, but these are the minimum we recommend.

Try the above and let us know how the next meeting goes.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton