Freeswitch service fails

Marcin

Apr 26, 2017, 1:14:39 PM4/26/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hello,
I have made fresh 1.1beta install on Ubuntu 16.04 with public IP and no firewall.
FreeSWITCH service fails with error message:

Job for freeswitch.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status freeswitch.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

I can start FreeSWITCH manually and it's working but I need to manually launch every time I restart the server.
How to troubleshoot and fix freeswitch.service?

Fred Dixon

Apr 26, 2017, 1:16:50 PM4/26/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcin,

What is the output of

  journalctl -u freeswitch.service

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Marcin

Apr 26, 2017, 1:25:45 PM4/26/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi Fred,
here is the log:

Apr 26 16:34:24 big systemd[1]: freeswitch.service: Unit entered failed state.

Apr 26 16:34:24 big systemd[1]: freeswitch.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Apr 26 16:34:24 big systemd[1]: freeswitch.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.

Apr 26 16:34:24 big systemd[1]: Stopped freeswitch.

Apr 26 16:34:24 big systemd[1]: freeswitch.service: Start request repeated too quickly.

Apr 26 16:34:24 big systemd[1]: Failed to start freeswitch.

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 1:14 PM Marcin <mar...@kierdelewicz.com> wrote:
Hello,
I have made fresh 1.1beta install on Ubuntu 16.04 with public IP and no firewall.
FreeSWITCH service fails with error message:

Job for freeswitch.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status freeswitch.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

I can start FreeSWITCH manually and it's working but I need to manually launch every time I restart the server.
How to troubleshoot and fix freeswitch.service?

Fred Dixon

Apr 27, 2017, 12:27:39 PM4/27/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcin,

Thanks for giving us a quick look at your server.  It turned out you were running BigBlueButton in an LXD container and, in such environment, FreeSWITCH needs to use a different systemd unit file.

The documentation provides the information on how to resolve this issue

After updating the freeswitch.service unit file (as per the above docs), we restarted BigBlueButton and it worked.

Don't hesitate to reach out if you encounter any more problems.

Regards,... Fred

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 1:25 PM, Marcin <mar...@kierdelewicz.com> wrote:
[...]

Marcin

Apr 27, 2017, 12:33:46 PM4/27/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi Fred,
your support is awesome, better than many commercial companies offer for charging hundreds of thousands of dollars!
Thanks!
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-setup.
BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Message has been deleted

Fred Dixon

Apr 17, 2018, 10:47:18 AM4/17/18
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Marcin and Niels,

Can you both post the contents of

  /lib/systemd/system/freeswitch.service

You can also try commenting out the line

CPUSchedulingPolicy=rr

and then doing

  sudo systemctl daemon-reload
  sudo systemctl restart freeswitch.service
  sudo systemctl status freeswitch.service

Regards,... Fred

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Niels <nmab...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have exactly the same problem but I have no idea if I'm running BBB in an LXD container or not, here's the log:

Apr 17 16:31:44 ageac.live systemd[1]: freeswitch.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1

Apr 17 16:31:44 ageac.live systemd[1]: Failed to start freeswitch.

Apr 17 16:31:44 ageac.live systemd[1]: freeswitch.service: Unit entered failed state.

Apr 17 16:31:44 ageac.live systemd[1]: freeswitch.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Apr 17 16:31:44 ageac.live systemd[1]: freeswitch.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.

Apr 17 16:31:44 ageac.live systemd[1]: Stopped freeswitch.

Apr 17 16:31:44 ageac.live systemd[1]: Starting freeswitch...