Recommend a Dedicated Server provider for hosting BigBlueButton

Anwar Basha Vanekar

Feb 19, 2017, 11:31:03 PM2/19/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hello,

Fred, Can you please provide an economical server hosting provider for dedicated hosting of BB, have any of the users done so if so please advise.

Thanks and Regards
Anwar
Message has been deleted

German Acevedo

Feb 27, 2017, 12:59:44 PM2/27/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi Anwar,
See these sites, I have worked with all of them at very good prices and good specs. You have to check because sometimes some are out of stock:
oneprovider.com (here look at the Paris location)
Regards,
German

Bernat Moragas

Sep 30, 2018, 3:09:36 PM9/30/18
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi All,

I was wondering if some of you worked with one of them and what was your experience:

    https://www.hetzner.com
    https://www.100tb.com/
    https://aws.amazon.com/

I have been working with AWS before, and I'm really happy with the experience, but it's quite expensive as well.

Thanks in advance,

Bernat

El dilluns, 20 febrer de 2017 5:31:03 UTC+1, Anwar Basha Vanekar va escriure:

Cyberian dotpk

Oct 1, 2018, 4:42:17 AM10/1/18
to BigBlueButton-Setup
thanks for sharing.

Dave Nelson

Oct 1, 2018, 4:54:29 AM10/1/18
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hetzner is excellent, and they have a permanent server auction where
you can lease a hardware server at the cheapest prices I've seen.
Their hardware technical support is excellent: fast response and very
attentive. But zero software support apart from offering a selection
of OS images you can install (although you can also "roll your own").

Rimuhosting is also an excellent hosting provider with superb
technical support at quite reasonable prices. See my own
recommendation of them at
https://x2592.com/truly-an-asset-and-partner-in-business/
They will install and configure practically anything for you, and will
always suggest a solution when you run into problems.

Hope this helps,
Dave

Bernat Moragas

Oct 2, 2018, 5:12:25 AM10/2/18
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
thanks for sharing. ;)
I'm going to update the list:

Missatge de Dave Nelson <comm...@translation.city> del dia dl., 1 d’oct. 2018 a les 10:54:

German Acevedo

Oct 2, 2018, 11:27:30 AM10/2/18
to BigBlueButton-Setup
I have used hetzner.com and oneprovider.com with great results
Regards,
German
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bigbluebutton-setup+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-setup.

JVieille

Oct 3, 2018, 6:55:57 AM10/3/18
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Yo can add https://www.kimsufi.com/us/en/servers.xml from OVH.
We run a KS-10 ($23/month) that is vastely sufficient.

Fred Dixon

Oct 3, 2018, 7:16:52 AM10/3/18
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi,

I checked out their site and I couldn't find any corporate mailing address.  They look like a reseller for OVH, which is fine, but have you used them personally?  What is the difference between going to them and OVH directly?

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

insightcollector

Oct 4, 2018, 3:17:05 PM10/4/18
to BigBlueButton-Setup
I also have one bare-metal server with Hetzner in Germany and while I am happy with the hardware performance there are downsides when it comes to their network. For example Hetzner is putting a cap of 35Mbit on German Telekom users, so even though they advertise a Gigabit connection with 20TB free traffic before capping it to 10Mbit, there are additional caps and limitations to certain networks and I have not found much about this in writing. I did speed tests to various locations and Hetzner did not really perform that great compared to Netcup and Contabo where I have other servers on Gigabit network connections. Also ping times are not as good as with Netcup and Contabo. But the bandwidth limitations have not shown a negative effect on using BigBlueButton as the required bandwidth is way below any of the caps or bandwidth limitations I encountered and I don't know any other provider where you can get a bare-metal server for below 30 Euros a month with good hardware. You just have to be a bit lucky when making picks in their used server auction, since you will get hard discs which have been in use for many years and are already showing errors but are still working "good enough" to keep using them. Still Hetzner is where I would look if you are on a small budget.

Etro Tech

Jun 2, 2020, 9:58:58 AM6/2/20
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hello please my mic is not working , i have bbb installed on comtabo server

Alex

Jun 2, 2020, 10:17:08 AM6/2/20
to BigBlueButton-Setup
I'v never experienced any caps tbh

And all benchmark speed tests were great.

What's with the story about 35 Mbit with German Telekom?

I've found this link

It looks like  the fault was with German Telekom.

"DTAG has not been open to cost-neutral peering agreements that are common in the telecommunications industry. We disapproved of their policy because it pays them for data tranfer twice: once from DTAG customers, and a second time from providers."

basisbit

Jun 2, 2020, 1:47:56 PM6/2/20
to BigBlueButton-Setup
You both realize you answered to a thread from 2018?

Hetzner peering with Deutsche Telekom nowadays is quite good. You usually get 300Mb/s per tcp stream even without optimizing anything and their dedicated servers are not traffic limited any more.

Regarding that other post: my car is grey, why does it make this one weird sound?