Deployment scripts for BBB on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Rob Dyke

Jul 21, 2014, 10:01:45 AM7/21/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
I've published some manifests / modules to help the deploy of BigBlueButton on Ubuntu 12.04 with either Ansible or Puppet.

A healthcare client commissioned Tactix4 to build a virtual machine with BBB for a pilot. We built a new Ubuntu 10.04 LTS VM and installed BBB in our datacentre in about 3 hours. Simples. In order for the Client to use BBB for online consultations as part of a mental health programme we needed to deploy BBB inside the client infrastructure. And on Ubuntu 12.04. This took some hacking.....We reviewed the instructions ( here https://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/InstallationUbuntu ) for the 10.04 LTS build and wherever we ran into a problem due to a version/package/distro missmatch we hacked at a few different methods until we found what worked.

The ansible script is the most complete. The puppet scripts will need a bit of poken. If you can improve them, please do! All pull requests gratefully received and reviewed.

BW, Rob

Fred Dixon

Jul 21, 2014, 10:04:39 AM7/21/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,

Thanks for sharing this!

This should help bridge gap that remains until we release the newer version of BigBlueButton running on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Rob Dyke

Jul 21, 2014, 10:34:04 AM7/21/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Fred, my pleasure!

After reading so many posts to this forum where people have asked for help and not shared what they did to get it working I got annoyed....

Hopefully others will build on these. The script for ansible will do a pretty much complete install in ~15 minutes (depending on bandwidth and processor....) ... In my datacentre environment I can build a complete BBB on 12.04 in ~21 minutes including installing the Ubuntu server.

/rob

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Rob Dyke <rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Message has been deleted

Rob Dyke

Jul 22, 2014, 7:53:51 PM7/22/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ferran,

Glad someone is having a go with my scripts!

  1. If you are getting $'\r' not found errors, be aware that Windows can add newline characters which can cause issues after downloading things from github and pasting via putty into a console. I guess this is not your problem though as you sound like you know what you are doing
  2. I think I said in my original post that the scripts (as used by puppet) needed some work. The ansible manisfest will work fine and install ruby-1.9.2-head
  3. I suggest that you either a) hack and fix the puppet/shell scripts (please!) or use the ansible role created and known as working.
All improvements to the scripts and the module/manifest gratefullly received by myself and the BBB community!

/rob

On 22 July 2014 10:58, Ferran Cabrer i Vilagut <ferran...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am following your instructions https://github.com/robdyke/bigbluebutton to install BBB on our new Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS

When install ruby through rvm-ruby.sh
I get this error
./rvm-ruby.sh: line 10: $'\r': command not found
and finally, I get this two errors:
ERROR: Error running 'make ', please read /usr/share/ruby-rvm/log/ruby-1.9.2-p180/make.log
ERROR: There has been an error while running make. Halting the installation.

I have tried apt-get install ruby but I get two errors
E: Unable to locate package ruby-1.9.2-p180
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'ruby-1.9.2-p180'

So, I keep ruby -v getting
The program 'ruby' can be found in the following packages:
 * ruby1.8
 * ruby1.9.1

How can we install ruby 1.9.2?
How we can install BBB in Ubuntu 12.04?