Wordpress Plugin - Sorry an error occured while joining the meeting.

Avichai Taylor

May 17, 2017, 2:53:41 AM5/17/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi,

I've installed BBB on a digital ocean server (as in sample video) with NO errors.***  Now, I'm trying to connect via the BBB Wordpress Plugin.  Everytime I try, I get the error "Sorry an error occured while joining the meeting."  The demo is working, but not when using my site and salt.

I've used URL = https://meetings.envisioncme.net/bigbluebutton/  and SALT =   382 ... 667

I want so bad to be able to use BBB, but I've been working tirelessly on this installation for two solid weeks...  Any support would be greatly appreciated.

FYI -
I tried installing BBB on another server and received a port error over and over.  No matter how many times I cleaned the server and started over I received the error with freeswitch (there are no firewalls and all other specs met).  I did the EXACT same install on digital ocean server without any issues whatsoever twice.  If anyone wants to try and see why one server works and the other doesn't, let me know... I'm more than happy to give you the IP addy, login details, etc.  The server is Ubuntu 16.04.x with no firewalls and completely clean.

Avichai Taylor

May 17, 2017, 4:17:18 AM5/17/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
I just noticed that if I use ...

URL = http;//MY-IP's-ActualNumber/bigbluebutton/    then the wordpress widget works ... but if I use the name version meetings.serverdomain.com it won't...  Is there a way to fix this?

Of course if I use https://My-IPs-ActualNumber/bigbluebotton, I get a warning that there is a problem with the security certificate.

HostBBB.com

May 17, 2017, 6:53:01 AM5/17/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Do the demo pages work with the FQDN?
Sudo bbb-conf --setup www.yourdomain.com will work if not.

The other common issue. Is your WordPress server can't resolve the domain on the create call. This is fixed by adding an entry to /etc/hosts on the WordPress server. You can test this by logging in to the WordPress server and doing

wget http://yourdomain/bigbluebutton/api and seeing if you get a success response.

Also. You will need to get the server fully configured for https in order to use webrtc audio in chrome.

Regards
Stephen
Hostbbb.com

Chad Pilkey

May 17, 2017, 12:39:49 PM5/17/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
One small correction to the setip command. It should be the following:
sudo bbb-conf --setip www.yourdomain.com

Avichai Tzvi

May 18, 2017, 1:44:52 AM5/18/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
I tried wget http://mydomain/bigbluebutton/api and the host could not be resolved.  Is there a solution for that?  (I realize that's not a BBB thing, but just looking for a path to start searching).

The server is configured for https... A grade

Fred Dixon

May 18, 2017, 8:05:54 AM5/18/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Avichai,

> I tried wget http://mydomain/bigbluebutton/api and the host could not be resolved.  Is there a solution for that?

Have you setup a domain name service (DNS) entry for your BigBlueButton host?  Check the documentation from the service provider that provided you the domain name for details.

Regards,... Fred

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 6:53 AM, HostBBB.com <207...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do the demo pages work with the FQDN?
 Sudo bbb-conf --setup www.yourdomain.com will work if not.

The other common issue. Is your WordPress server can't resolve the domain on the create call.  This is fixed by adding an entry to /etc/hosts on the WordPress server.  You can test this by logging in to the WordPress server and doing

wget http://yourdomain/bigbluebutton/api and seeing if you get a success response.

Also. You will need to get the server fully configured for https in order to use webrtc audio in chrome.

Regards
Stephen
Hostbbb.com

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Avichai Tzvi

May 18, 2017, 10:15:45 AM5/18/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Yes, I have. When I type into the URL, it works goes to the site with no problems.. https://meetings.envisioncme.net

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-setup.

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Fred Dixon

May 18, 2017, 10:23:16 AM5/18/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Avichai,

Can you try logging into your WordPress server at the command line (via SSH) and try the command and enter the command

You should get

This will determine if your WordPress server can connect with your BigBlueButton server.  If the above fails, this is the cause of the error.

Regards,.. Fred

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-setup.

Avichai Tzvi

May 18, 2017, 9:57:08 PM5/18/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Below are the results... when using ---> wget -qO- https://meetings.envisioncme.net/bigbluebutton/api && echo ... it did nothing and returned to the command line.

when using ---> wget https://meetings.envisioncme.net/bigbluebutton/api (as described by Stephen) ... it returns "Resolving meetings.envisioncme.net (meetings.envisioncme.net)... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address ‘meetings.envisioncme.net'"

So, I'm assuming it is failing to resolve and that is the issue.  Is this fixable?  Can you point me in the right direction to begin my research for fixing?

Thank you for your help,
Avi

------------------------------  ACTUAL RESULTS BELOW -------------------------------------------------------

[root@NC-PH-0194-05 ~]# wget -qO- https://meetings.envisioncme.net/bigbluebutton/api && echo
Resolving meetings.envisioncme.net (meetings.envisioncme.net)... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address ‘meetings.envisioncme.net
[root@NC-PH-0194-05 ~]#

Fred Dixon

May 18, 2017, 11:26:05 PM5/18/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Avichai,

> So, I'm assuming it is failing to resolve and that is the issue.  Is this fixable?  Can you point me in the right direction to begin my research for fixing?

Where is your BigBlueButton server located?  A common mistake is to place the BigBlueButton server behind a firewall and then access it from your browser (which is also running behind the firewall and can access it fine and everything looks good) and have your WordPress server outside the firewall (and blocked by the firewall from accessing the BigBlueButton server).

Regards,... Fred

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-setup.

Avichai Tzvi

May 18, 2017, 11:35:38 PM5/18/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
The BBB server is not located behind any firewalls (checked prior to installation - also used digital ocean following installation video exactly).  The BBB server and the wordpress are completely separate (like two different hosting facilities) and also has no firewall (for the moment).

Avichai Tzvi

May 19, 2017, 12:22:42 AM5/19/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Resolved - Thanks everyone
1.) checked to see if the wordpress server would resolve the domain name by using ...wget -qO- https://meetings.envisioncme.net/bigbluebutton/api && echo  .... The result came back showing that it could not be resolved.

2.) Did a simple ping test using domain name  ex: ping meetings.envisioncme.net this again showed that it could not be resolved.

3.) Did another ping test, this time using the IP address... this came back positive.

To rectify the issue we needed to "resolve the domain name on the BBB server".... So....

4.) Edited the /etc/hosts file to add a third line  .... 162.34.32.84 meetings.envisioncme.net

5.) Tested by using ... ping meetings.envisioncme.net

Hope this helps someone else!

Thank you Fred, Stephen and Chad!!!

Avichai Tzvi

May 28, 2017, 1:46:25 PM5/28/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Need some help again.
1.) Went to use BBB and this issue showed again.  I checked the /etc/hosts file and the entry from before had been deleted (not sure how/why).
2.) Add a new line using my-ip-number meetings.envisioncme.net

This didn't resolve the issue ...

Now, I'm wondering how to fix this.

Avichai Tzvi

May 28, 2017, 2:18:53 PM5/28/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Nevermind...!
I just needed the wordpress server to be able to resolve meetings.envisioncme.net

That is... I needed to edit the /etc/hosts file on the wordpress server adding the line ....

my-bbb-server-IP-# my.fullyqualifieddomain.com  (ex: 111.25.211.21 conference.samszorg.net)