Sound problem with some users

Александр [upviqq]

Jun 21, 2017, 2:37:44 AM6/21/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi!
I have BigBlueButton 1.0 installed on HPProLiant ML150 G3: Xeon E5310, 8GB RAM.
Some users have strange sound problem, video file is in attachments. If you can't play it this way - tell me where to upload it.
Problem is in the begin and in the end of recording, in the middle is fine quality sound.
Everybody have latest Firefox with WebRTC, but another browser with Flash audio - all the same.
Today sound can be good, but tomorrow will be that distortion.
How can I identify what causes the problem? And sorry for my English, hope you can read this.
Video_2017-06-21_091642_edit.wmv

HostBBB.com

Jun 21, 2017, 8:41:47 AM6/21/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
1) Using the "echo test" when you test your mic before joining.    see if you can hear any bad audio artifacts,   this eliminates any conference mixing with 11 participants and points to network issues.

2) Version 1.1 has an improved version of freeswitch with FEC enabled,  this basically can correct for packet losses and improves audio quality.

Looks like this is a 2core processor which will NOT be sufficient to mix the audio of more than just a few users.
May be wrong.

regards,
Stephen

Александр [upviqq]

Jun 21, 2017, 11:18:08 AM6/21/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Echo test always fine, I disabled it after two weeks.
I want to update when html5 will be out of beta. Or if its definatly solve my problem.
It has 4 cores, load average about 60% when poeple connects, and 10-20% after that. Usually its about 20 users, but only two are talking. No video, no presentation or using whiteboard.

HostBBB.com

Jun 21, 2017, 11:45:58 AM6/21/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
so if it 2 just talking,  can you eliminate those 2 as a test, and have others try to talk from their locations to see if all users have similar problems.

Also, if you set bbb to record on server.,  what does the recorded audio sound like?  is the audio clear in recording? Or do you hear the defects in recording.

If your missing syllables on start of active talker, its possible to lower energy level on freeswitch conference for voice activity detection, but your recording did not sound like that.

Also, assume your server is a 100mb symmetrical internet connection and bandwidth is good. Although for 2 talker to 20participants not much is needed.

You can also look at chrome://webrtc-internals/ and see detailed info on the packet and jitter that may be occuring in the network at the user level.

And lastly give demo.bigbluebutton.org a try to see how it sounds (there will be latency, but audio quality should be good)

regards,
Stephen

Александр [upviqq]

Jun 22, 2017, 3:58:11 AM6/22/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
All of them whem talking, but only two at a time. And anyone can have this issue.
There was problem with one user with low bandwidth, but it he just disconnects after a minute and can't use system at all.
Thanks, I'll try your advices.

Maybe there is a way to increase some sound parameters on server? Traffic is ridiculously low anyway.

Fred Dixon

Jun 22, 2017, 7:18:12 AM6/22/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
A few more suggestions

  - When a user has audio issues, have the try both FireFox and Chrome.  Both browsers implement WebRTC differently and may result in better audio.

  - The echo test does a full path from the user's microphone, through the client, to the BigBlueButton server, back to the client, and out on the speakers.  It helps avoid the cases where a user does have poor audio due to bandwidth limitations (they would hear this on the echo test) and joins the conference thinking "because I was able to join my audio must be good".  That won't be the case if there are too many dropped packets due to poor bandwidth.

  - Have the user try https://demo.bigbluebutton.org/ in the echo test.  This is a separate server with the latest version of BigBlueButton.  It can help narrow down whether the problems are rooted in the server or bandwidth.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton