Free -h too low fresh install

Karen Tutor

Mar 28, 2017, 8:24:45 AM3/28/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi

I have reinstalled ubuntu 3x looking to see how to increase the Mem option.

My free - h output is

/dev/sda1 521m efi
/dev/sda2 488m Linux file system
/dev/sda3 464g Linux lvm

My free -h is

Mem 3.5 g
Swap 3.6 g

So there should be lots there. I can follow instructions to increase using a lvm but am not sure what exactly to increase.

Any input as to how to increase mem fresh ubuntu 16.04 install?

Thanks!
Karen

Fred Dixon

Mar 28, 2017, 8:46:34 AM3/28/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karen,

> I have reinstalled ubuntu 3x looking to see how to increase the Mem option.

There is no Ubuntu 3x, to see what version of Ubuntu you are running, execute the following command

  cat /etc/lsb-release

> My free -h is
>
> Mem 3.5 g
> Swap 3.6 g

That's a bit tight, but it's enough to run BigBlueButton.

> I can follow instructions to increase using a lvm but am not sure what exactly to increase.

LVM (or linux virtual machines) is an older virtualization technology. If you want to run BigBlueButton under a virtual machine, try using LXD, which is available under Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit.  See

Regards,... Fred

Karen

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Karen Tutor

Mar 28, 2017, 11:52:29 AM3/28/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I have reinstalled ubuntu 16.04 three different times (apologies if I was unclear)

The objective is to increase mem to meet the bbb requirements.

Is it possible to resize post install or is this done during install.

I am happy to reinstall.

Tx

Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BigBlueButton-Setup" group.

Fred Dixon

Mar 28, 2017, 1:51:20 PM3/28/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karen,

Hmm ... LVM refers to the Linux Volume Manager.  What tool are you using to create a VM?

Regards,... Fred

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-setup.

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Karen Tutor

Mar 28, 2017, 2:03:05 PM3/28/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred

I am guessing it is part of the partition when you install ubuntu.

I am just at loss how to set up to increase the mem.

My best guess is that it would be done here per online installation instructions 16.04

My hard drive has 500g available so I know there is space.
 It is just allocating it correctly.

 But that is only a guess.  The objective is just to ensure the correct amount of mem.

The lvm is per the ubuntu install:

You can see step 12 link

Quote :

For a general purpose server you can stick to Guided with LVM method as illustrated below, which automatically creates the partitions on your behalf

Select Partition Method

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to bigbluebutton-s...@googlegroups.com.

Karen Tutor

Mar 28, 2017, 7:26:02 PM3/28/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Apologies, for the confusion

I have just been informed mem=RAM and that is hardware related.

I also understand that I can continue with 3.5g as is for now.

Thanks