EC2 Internal IP Issue

Luis Rosario

Feb 24, 2015, 7:50:55 PM2/24/15
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
I have a config issue and not sure how ti fix it.  We did some upgrades and now things are a bit shifted...

We have configured our server via changing these settings per this tutorial

When we reboot the machine the internal ip changes and we get a mis configuration.  If i edit /usr/share/red5/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/bigbluebutton-sip.properties
and insert the server's internal ip address into the bbb.sip.app.ip & freeswitch.ip settings, everything works fine and I'm able to connect to webrtc.. However when we reboot or shut down the instance and relaunch, the internal ip changes and we have mis configuration.  How do we configure this so we are protected from rebooting the machine?

Fred Dixon

Feb 24, 2015, 9:20:44 PM2/24/15
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
> How do we configure this so we are protected from rebooting the machine?

Hi Luis,

The straightforward approach is to write a bash script that will read the internal IP address, make the configuration changes, and restart BigBlueButton.

You can then run this script after you start/restart the instance.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

HostBBB.com

Feb 24, 2015, 9:31:19 PM2/24/15
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Luis, rebooting shouldn't be an issue, but stopping and then starting is an issue with instances setup with ec2-classic.

Another way to get around this is use a Ec2-VPC, so you can configure your own network/subnet.  The local IP will always remain the same.

You must be currently on EC2-Classic platform which pulls a new 10.x.x.x number on startup.

Same costs basically.

regards,
Stephen

Luis Rosario

Feb 24, 2015, 10:19:25 PM2/24/15
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that I just started to discover the VPC option. Yeah it seems the right move.  Another migration lol..

Sent from my iPhone

Stuart Mealor

Feb 26, 2015, 3:12:52 PM2/26/15
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
We use the EC2 instance and assign an EIP (Elastic IP address)

This allows you to Stop and Start an instance without losing the IP address :-)

On Feb 24, 2015, at 6:31 PM, HostBBB.com <207...@gmail.com> wrote:

Luis, rebooting shouldn't be an issue, but stopping and then starting is an issue with instances setup with ec2-classic.

Another way to get around this is use a Ec2-VPC, so you can configure your own network/subnet.  The local IP will always remain the same.

You must be currently on EC2-Classic platform which pulls a new 10.x.x.x number on startup.

Same costs basically.

regards,
Stephen
hostbbb.com