Firefox 31 on Mac - WebRTC connection problem

Stuart Mealor

Oct 17, 2014, 8:19:33 PM10/17/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone
I'm testing out BBB using Amazon EC2 (although I have seen a note from Fred in the Forums that the audio performance is not great).
Anyway, I'm getting the message:
"WebRTC Connection Failed
Detected the following WebRTC issue: Could not make a WebSocket connection. Do you want to try Flash instead?"

I was about to start trouble-shooting the installation, and so quickly tested against http://demo.bigbluebutton.org (expecting that to be OK)
But in fact get the same message.
That leads me to think it could be browser related?
I'm using Mac OS Mavericks, with Firefox 31.0
(No additional Firewalls etc.)
So is this a known issue with Firefox 31.0 on Mac ?

Thanks, Stu.

Fred Dixon

Oct 17, 2014, 9:36:08 PM10/17/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart,

Your running an out-of-date version of FireFox.  Recommend you update to version 33 and try again.

Let us know if your still encountering the error after upgrade.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Stuart Mealor

Oct 18, 2014, 1:31:23 AM10/18/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred :-)
FF31 is only a couple of months old on Mac (September)
Anyway, I updated to current release FF33
Restarted, and encountered the same message accessing demo.bigbluebutton.org
"Detected the following WebRTC issue: Error 1002: Could not make a WebSocket connection. Do you want to try Flash instead?"
Is there a list of error numbers? e.g. 1002 might give me a clue?
Stu :-)

Fred Dixon

Oct 18, 2014, 8:09:21 AM10/18/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart,

Are you behind an HTTP proxy?

Your BigBlueButton client is making a web sockets connection through port 80 (we're using nginx as a reverse proxy on the BigBlueButton server to forward the websockets request to port 5066).

If your using an HTTP proxy that is preventing direct connections to a remote server on port 80, that would cause the error message your seeing.

Regards,... Fred

Stuart Mealor

Oct 20, 2014, 3:28:25 AM10/20/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred
No, no Proxy here, just using from home.
I completely disabled Firewall temporarily also on router also to test.
Same error:
"WebRTC Connection Failed: Error 1002: Could not make a WebSocket connection".
Hmmmmm, I just thought...
I have a small test server at home, with NAT setup for HTTP 80 and HTTPS 443 routed to the servers static IP.
Would that affect the WebSocket connection ?
NOTE: after the WebRTC failed, the connection DID connect audio OK using Flash - so I'm not sure this is actually affecting it?
Stu

Chad Pilkey

Oct 20, 2014, 11:42:25 AM10/20/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
WebRTC has issues with NAT so it's possible that is the cause of your problem. A browser console log should be able to shed some light on the issue (preferably from demo.bigbluebutton.org).

Stuart Mealor

Oct 20, 2014, 3:31:26 PM10/20/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chad
OK, thanks for that.
I'll try connecting later today from a different location, to see if that makes a difference.
And then tonight I'll disable the NAT on the router at home and test that.
I'll report back if this solves things - Stu :-)