Migrating to a new BBB server - what do I need to grab?

Mike Kelly

May 23, 2017, 1:54:03 PM5/23/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
We're looking at migrating our BBB service to a new server later this summer (and also upgrading to 1.1 at the same time). I want to make sure that all recordings will be available on the new system - what do I need to grab from the old one?

I was planning to follow this rough procedure:

1. Upgrade existing server to BBB 1.1 prior to the move.
2. Install BBB 1.1 on the new system. Configure it identically to the old system (hostname, BBB secret, SSL, etc)
3. Copy contents of /var/bigbluebutton/ and /var/freeswitch/ to the new system
4. ???
5. Profit! ;-)

Am I missing anything else that would be required to maintain all the old content?

Thanks,
- Mike K.

Chad Pilkey

May 23, 2017, 2:32:35 PM5/23/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Don't upgrade the existing server. From the install instructions:
We recommend installing BigBlueButton 1.1 on a new Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit server; specifically, one that does not already have web applications installed (such as plesk). Such applications create subtle conflicts with the installation and running of BigBlueButton that are difficult to resolve.

If you want to upgrade a BigBlueButton 1.0 (or earlier) server, we recommend to starting with a separate clean Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit server, install BigBlueButton 1.1 on it, and then transfer over existing recordings.

The instructions to transfer recordings can be found here, http://docs.bigbluebutton.org/install/install.html#transfer-existing-published-recordings.

You don't want to copy whole /var/bigbluebutton directory because there are files in there that you don't want to overwrite.

Mike Kelly

May 23, 2017, 2:40:49 PM5/23/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Thanks Chad.

I swear I read the docs, but apparently not closely enough... or recently enough. ;-)