Integration with Blackbaord

Helen Davies

May 19, 2014, 4:38:12 AM5/19/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We are looking at BigBlueButton again.  I've noticed the details on the LTI that didn't exist when we first looked at it, but I was wondering whether we need to install BBB on its own server and link to this?

Thanks in advance

Helen

Fred Dixon

May 19, 2014, 8:59:12 AM5/19/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Helen,

We do have LTI integration support for BigBlueButton.  To test the LTI integration, you can use the test-install server.  See

for credentials.

> we need to install BBB on its own server and link to this

For production use, you do need to have a BigBlueButton server setup.  You can certainly setup your own server, see

or if your looking for commercial providers, see

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

tim johns

May 19, 2014, 9:50:40 AM5/19/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Speaking of BigBlueButton integration with Blackboard, I have some real basic / 'dumb' questions -

I have the dev instance of Blackboard installed, and I just finished installing .81 on a Ubuntu server. I do not have Matterhorn installed.

If you utilize LTI with Blackboard, is recording enabled by default? In viewing the youtube video, the recordings are loaded for viewing after the fact - is this default behavior?
In a perfect world, I would like to have the stand-alone server available and give the end-user the option to record / not record, but record all activity within Blackboard, if that makes sense. Is Matterhorn required for this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance / guidance!

-S

Helen Davies

May 19, 2014, 9:52:55 AM5/19/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred,

Many thanks for your reply.  I've followed the steps (in your youtube video) using the test server details, but once I add the course link and click on submit, launching the meeting takes me to a blank screen.

Do you have any idea what that could be?

Thanks

Helen

Fred Dixon

May 19, 2014, 10:03:40 AM5/19/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

When configuring the LTI integration for BigBlueButton, for sessions that you want recorded, you would create a placement for BigBlueButton that has the custom parameter

  record=true

In fact, we recommend creating two placements for instructors to add as tools to a course

  BigBlueButton Meeting
  BigBlueButton Meeting (recorded)

The first has no custom parameters (no recorded) and the other that has a custom parameter 'record=true'.

This way, instructors can add the appropriate link to their course.  When record is enabled, it means that all BigBlueButton sessions created using this link are recorded (from the point where the first person enters a session to the point when the last person leaves the session).

In the next release, we'll have a start/stop recording button, so it will be easier.  You could have all sessions recorded and the moderator can choose during a session if (or when) they want to start recording.

Regards,... Fred

Fred Dixon

May 19, 2014, 10:39:40 AM5/19/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Helen,

I just tried accessing BigBlueButton from within Blackboard and it works for me.

I suspect that it might be that the Blackboard server not allowing an outgoing connection to the test-install server.  I recommend have the Blackboard administrator take a closer look at the Blackboard server's logs and see if any error messages are thrown when trying to access the test-install server.

Regards,... Fred

I Capatosta

May 19, 2014, 10:58:52 AM5/19/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
In the next release, we'll have a start/stop recording button, so it will be easier.  You could have all sessions recorded and the moderator can choose during a session if (or when) they want to start recording.

That sounds like a very usable feature. Will the recordings allow for passwords ?

Fred Dixon

May 19, 2014, 11:12:55 AM5/19/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Capatosta,

That sounds like a very usable feature. Will the recordings allow for passwords ?

The API for accessing recordings won't be changing for the next release, so the access to recordings for 0.9.0 will be the same as in 0.81.

Regards,... Fred

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 10:58 AM, I Capatosta <capa...@cox.net> wrote:
In the next release, we'll have a start/stop recording button, so it will be easier.  You could have all sessions recorded and the moderator can choose during a session if (or when) they want to start recording.

That sounds like a very usable feature. Will the recordings allow for passwords ?

Delia Couto

Sep 17, 2014, 4:14:06 PM9/17/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred,

I appears that the test-server credentials are no longer working? When I try to use them in D2L and launch the LTI link, I see a BBB page that tells me "Connection could not be established". Also, when I try going to the launch URL directly in my browser, it seems to time out on me.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Delia

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 4:38 AM, Helen Davies <helend...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

We are looking at BigBlueButton again.  I've noticed the details on the LTI that didn't exist when we first looked at it, but I was wondering whether we need to install BBB on its own server and link to this?

Thanks in advance

Helen

Fred Dixon

Sep 17, 2014, 5:01:43 PM9/17/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Delia,

Try the launch again.  It should work now.

Regards,.. Fred

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-setup.

Delia Couto

Sep 19, 2014, 1:13:50 PM9/19/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
It does, thanks so much for the quick fix!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BigBlueButton-Setup" group.