Using BBB as media streaming server

siamak riyahi

Apr 13, 2014, 7:25:02 AM4/13/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends

Is there any way to use BBB as a media streaming server for some individual video that is uploaded somewhere in the server (at the same time with its main mission)?

Thanks in advance

Marc Matthes

Apr 17, 2014, 12:34:59 PM4/17/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
siamak,
I would love to know this too!!

Fred Dixon

Apr 17, 2014, 12:41:16 PM4/17/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Siamak and Marc,

BigBlueButton is built on red5, an open source media streaming/application server.  You could certainly place media files on the server and stream them to users.

Check out the red5 documentation at

and also check out a recent labs project we did to allow the presenter to select a stream from within BigBlueButton.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Marc Matthes

Apr 21, 2014, 3:09:45 PM4/21/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Fred are there good directions that you know of that explain the Red 5 install if we want to break that part out and just use RED 5 by it's self for that ?

On Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:41:16 AM UTC-5, Fred Dixon wrote:
Hi Siamak and Marc,

BigBlueButton is built on red5, an open source media streaming/application server.  You could certainly place media files on the server and stream them to users.

Check out the red5 documentation at

and also check out a recent labs project we did to allow the presenter to select a stream from within BigBlueButton.

Regards,... Fred

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 12:34 PM, Marc Matthes <matth...@gmail.com> wrote:
siamak,
I would love to know this too!!

On Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:25:02 AM UTC-5, siamak riyahi wrote:
Hi friends

Is there any way to use BBB as a media streaming server for some individual video that is uploaded somewhere in the server (at the same time with its main mission)?

Thanks in advance

Fred Dixon

Apr 22, 2014, 7:26:58 AM4/22/14
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marc,

Fred are there good directions that you know of that explain the Red 5 install

I would recommend checking out the documentation for the red5 project, specifically

and definitely join the mailing list at

Regards,... Fred

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-setup.