Issues during installation

Tal Bar-Or

Aug 16, 2017, 9:36:28 AM8/16/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup

Hello all,

I just finished BigBlueButton  first part installation , all seems to be went ok during installation ,
I made self signed certificate for the nginx went over all installation part   and video and modified files to adapt https except as "bbb_webrtc_bridge_sip.js" not mention on install doc and on video file is different from actual.
after i finished and restart and did check BBB i get following error below , firewall is disabled on the machine , hostname correspond to BBB name ,and check is passed  , but when i tried to get in to demo or main site i get errors as shown below image.

Please  advice how can i fix current issues

Thanks

Fred Dixon

Aug 16, 2017, 10:43:36 AM8/16/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tal,

The install video is a bit out-of-date as its (much) easier to improve documentation.  Definitely follow the instructions step-by-step as they are the latest.

> I made self signed certificate for the nginx went over all installation

Recommend you use Lets Encrypt if possible.  This will give you a valid certificate.  If your behind a firewall and installing on a local server for testing, you don't need to use a certificate -- you can leave it configured with the IP address and just test with FireFox.  (FireFox does not require SSL to use WebRTC).

The problem you are getting is because tomcat (which is running bbb-demo) needs to connect to your BigBlueButton server.  However, it can't validate the self-signed certificate, so the connection fails and you see the result as the 500 error.

Is it an option to install a proper certificate using Lets Encrypt?

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Tal Bar-Or

Aug 16, 2017, 10:58:07 AM8/16/17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hello Fred,

Thanks for the rapid answer, this system is installed for POC ,i have been asked to test BBB for future adopting , any way is there a way to make it works without validating the certificate , we would like to  test with external users initially without the lets encrypt  which we need to have mandatory valid dns name?

Thank you

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 9:36 AM, Tal Bar-Or <tba...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,

I just finished BigBlueButton  first part installation , all seems to be went ok during installation ,
I made self signed certificate for the nginx went over all installation part   and video and modified files to adapt https except as "bbb_webrtc_bridge_sip.js" not mention on install doc and on video file is different from actual.
after i finished and restart and did check BBB i get following error below , firewall is disabled on the machine , hostname correspond to BBB name ,and check is passed  , but when i tried to get in to demo or main site i get errors as shown below image.

Please  advice how can i fix current issues

Thanks

Fred Dixon

Aug 16, 2017, 11:04:17 AM8/16/17
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tal,

> we would like to  test with external users initially without the lets encrypt

The best way is to install a valid certificate.  You can spin up a server on Digital Ocean, for example, assign your hostname, and use Lets Encrypt to get a valid certificate (see docs for details).

You can then test for a few hours and delete VM after you are finished.

Regards,... Fred

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Tal Bar-Or <tba...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Fred,

Thanks for the rapid answer, this system is installed for POC ,i have been asked to test BBB for future adopting , any way is there a way to make it works without validating the certificate , we would like to  test with external users initially without the lets encrypt  which we need to have mandatory valid dns name?

Thank you

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 5:43:36 PM UTC+3, Fred Dixon wrote:
Hi Tal,

The install video is a bit out-of-date as its (much) easier to improve documentation.  Definitely follow the instructions step-by-step as they are the latest.

> I made self signed certificate for the nginx went over all installation

Recommend you use Lets Encrypt if possible.  This will give you a valid certificate.  If your behind a firewall and installing on a local server for testing, you don't need to use a certificate -- you can leave it configured with the IP address and just test with FireFox.  (FireFox does not require SSL to use WebRTC).

The problem you are getting is because tomcat (which is running bbb-demo) needs to connect to your BigBlueButton server.  However, it can't validate the self-signed certificate, so the connection fails and you see the result as the 500 error.

Is it an option to install a proper certificate using Lets Encrypt?

Regards,... Fred
On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 9:36 AM, Tal Bar-Or <tba...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,

I just finished BigBlueButton  first part installation , all seems to be went ok during installation ,
I made self signed certificate for the nginx went over all installation part   and video and modified files to adapt https except as "bbb_webrtc_bridge_sip.js" not mention on install doc and on video file is different from actual.
after i finished and restart and did check BBB i get following error below , firewall is disabled on the machine , hostname correspond to BBB name ,and check is passed  , but when i tried to get in to demo or main site i get errors as shown below image.

Please  advice how can i fix current issues

Thanks

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Tal Bar-Or