How to stream video independent of conference

Gil Yoder

Mar 27, 2017, 9:55:34 AM3/27/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Is it possible to stream the instructor or moderator's video stream independent of a running conference for viewers other than conferees? If so, can you point me to some documentation to enable that?

Thanks!

Gil

Fred Dixon

Mar 27, 2017, 12:19:40 PM3/27/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Gil,

There isn't any capability built into BigBlueButton for doing that (yet).  It's somewhat related to sharing a video in a conference.

We did have a broadcast module written a few years ago (not completed) that allowed the presenter to select a set of streams and broadcast them to the students.  A stream could be from a red5 server which, in turn, was receiving a stream coming from the presenter's webcam.

The set of streams would be pre-configured and loaded by client on startup.

The broadcast module hasn't been updated in a few years and would need work to be compatible with BigBlueButton 1.1-beta.  The lack of updates is not neglect; rather, there have been more promising areas that require our attention (such as finishing 1.1 and working on the HTML5 client).

I would be curious if there are other members of bigbluebutton-dev that are interested in this feature?

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Chad Pilkey

Mar 27, 2017, 12:23:57 PM3/27/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
I believe the video streams all use the meetingId as part of them. Some (or all, I'm not sure) check that you are actually a part of the conference before allowing you in too. It might be possible to hack it, but there's no official way to do it right now.

Sina Tabesh

Luis Rosario

Apr 7, 2017, 5:43:28 PM4/7/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
I would love this feature. It would eliminate use of a in between server to broadcast a conference. If Bigbluebutton could provide a single rtmp stream for a given conference, integration with other systems would be easier.