BigBlueButton 0.9.0-RC released

Fred Dixon

Apr 16, 2015, 12:50:46 PM4/16/15
to BigBlueButton-dev
We (the core developers) are extremely pleased to announce the availability of BigBlueButton 0.9.0-RC (release candidate).

For an overview of this release, see

BigBlueButton 0.9.0-RC is the culmination of eleven months of full-time development by the core committers and a further five months of beta testing/updating by committers, commercial companies, and the BigBlueButton community at-large.

The testing for this release has been extensive.  We release beta on October 17, 2014 (for us, a beta release no major bugs remained). Since then, it has been available for anyone to install, try out, and give feedback.  We thank everyone that helped us test and find issues!  As well, many companies have run the beta release in production for months (one in particular has hosted over 100,000 sessions).

This real-world usage and feedback from our community has enabled us to find many edge cases and continually harden the product.   At each step, we fixed, tested, and updated everyone with newer builds.  With each build, we iterated through any remaining issues and got closer to the final release.

Along the way we got asked many times "When is the release date?"

In the BigBlueButton project we release on quality, not dates.  Some of the committers have telecommunication backgrounds.  Our standards for a release are very high.

In the BigBlueButton project we believe that every student with a web browser should have access to a high-quality on-line learning experience.  The release of BigBlueButton 0.9.0-RC a significant step towards that goal.

Over the next two weeks we will watch the community closely to see if anyone encounters any issue.   If everything looks good, we change label from 0.9.0-RC to 0.9.0.

The documentation for the BigBlueButton project is now hosted at

Visit the above site for instructions on installing BigBlueButton 0.9.0-RC on your server.

The site also includes documentation on the architecture, configuration, FAQ, road map, release notes, and more.

Regards,... Fred

--
BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Douglas Tang

Apr 18, 2015, 1:54:02 AM4/18/15
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
How about the HTML5 client?
> --

I shall return!

Fred Dixon

Apr 18, 2015, 8:37:08 AM4/18/15
to BigBlueButton-dev
HI Doug,

Our focus for the last few months has been to get 0.9.0-beta to RC.

Now that we've released the RC, our plan is to make a developer build of the HTML5 client available to everyone.

Look for the announcement in bigbluebutton-dev when its ready to install and try out.

Regards,... Fred