More user intuitive prompt instead of "calling..."

Romeo Sulzer

Mar 26, 2015, 5:26:21 AM3/26/15
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hello BigBlueButton Community!

When using WebRTC audio the connection process can take up to 30 - 60 seconds for users who are behind NAT routers.  During the connection establishment process, all the user sees is a prompt which says "Calling...".  I am quite certain that some less patient users will think that something went wrong and will click away.  Could we change this to something more user intuitive, e.g "Please wait while the audio connection is established.  Depending on your internet connection this can take up to 30 - 60 seconds".  Can this be changed in a language file?

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Romeo

Fred Dixon

Mar 26, 2015, 8:17:12 AM3/26/15
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Romeo,

I am quite certain that some less patient users will think that something went wrong and will click away.

Currently, by design, there isn't anything to click on when the dialog shows Calling... and Connecting...

Do you have a user that experiences 30 - 60 seconds connection that you can test with?  If so, have them test with both Chrome and FireFox.

We're seeing that FireFox will connect sooner than Chrome in cases where there are many ICE candidates for the browser to probe.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Romeo S

Mar 26, 2015, 9:24:45 AM3/26/15
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred

Thank you for your reply!

>Currently, by design, there isn't anything to click on when the dialog shows Calling... and Connecting...

I am aware of that, my point was rather to change the prompt from "Calling..." to something more user friendly, e.g "Please wait while we're establishing your connection, this may take up to xx seconds depending on your connection".

I'm behind a NAT router and my WebRTC connection times are as follows:
Google Chrome - 13 seconds
Mozilla Firefox - 23 seconds

This is all within a reasonable range, but I think the "calling.." and "connecting.." prompts should be a bit more user intuitive.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Romeo

Ernest Januszewski

Mar 27, 2015, 10:49:51 AM3/27/15
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Romeo,
for me it was 27 seconds (Firefox),
comparing to no delay at all with Flash plagin, it's quite a long time.
Question is: is it worth to wait ~20s for WebRTC? Or disable it and use flash only?

HostBBB.com

Mar 27, 2015, 11:44:23 AM3/27/15
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

the beauty of open source,  change this line, and run "ant locales" and you should be able to notify users as descriptive as needed.

regards,
Stephen

Romeo S

Mar 28, 2015, 6:23:58 AM3/28/15
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Stephen, that was exactly what I was looking for!